What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 7 vs. Gold Coast Titans

gUt

Coach
Not sure where Pete gets his cool team lists from so hopefully he'll pop in and add those at some point.

Just wanted to start the thread with a whinge: does anyone apart from Siebold think the answer to our problems is to bench Isaako? I know he's not in the top ranks of fullbacks but he has at least been trying and has been very safe under the high ball, which he's had to be seeing as we're always getting bombed on or near our tryline.

If it was a case of needing Niu out there for some attacking spark, fine. Get rid of Boyd instead and rearrange the backline ffs. I can't understand it.

League guru

Juniors
Not sure where Pete gets his cool team lists from so hopefully he'll pop in and add those at some point.

Just wanted to start the thread with a whinge: does anyone apart from Siebold think the answer to our problems is to bench Isaako? I know he's not in the top ranks of fullbacks but he has at least been trying and has been very safe under the high ball, which he's had to be seeing as we're always getting bombed on or near our tryline.

If it was a case of needing Niu out there for some attacking spark, fine. Get rid of Boyd instead and rearrange the backline ffs. I can't understand it.

Now that's why Siebold is the coach and not yourself. His strength is in how to rotate the 10 wingers in the squad through the team.
But this week they will have a fine win against the poor performing Titans. Milford and TPG will star and be rewarded with upgraded contract extensions. Simple game.

Reactions: gUt

Big Pete

Referee
Brisbane Broncos vs. Gold Coast Titans
Suncorp Stadium, Saturday 27 June 2020
Kick Off 5:30pm

TL-BRI20a.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Corey Oates 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. Darius Boyd 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Issac Luke 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Joe Ofahengaue

Interchange: 14. Jamayne Isaako 15. Jamil Hopoate 16. Rhys Kennedy 17. Ben Te'o

Reserves: 18. Tom Dearden 19. Ethan Bullemor 20. Tyson Gamble 21. Richard Kennar

TL-GLD20a.png

1. Corey Thompson 2. Anthony Don 3. Brian Kelly 4. Dale Copley 5. Phillip Sami 6. Ashley Taylor 7. Jamal Fogarty 8. Moeaki Fotuaika 9. Mitch Rein 10. Sam Lisone 11. Kevin Proctor 12. Keegan Hipgrave 13. Jai Arrow

Interchange: 14. Tanah Boyd 15. Tyrone Peachey 16. Jaimin Jolliffe 17. Jarrod Wallace

Reserves: 18. Bryce Cartwright 19. Erin Clark 20. Beau Fermor 21. Tyrone Roberts

Big Pete

Referee
gut said:
Just wanted to start the thread with a whinge: does anyone apart from Siebold think the answer to our problems is to bench Isaako?

Seibs never had any faith in Isaako as the 1. Jamayne actually lost the position during the pre-season, but got a reprieve when Bird went down. I think he actually managed to surprise the coaching staff and has been one of the Broncos better performers but it's clear he has limitations in the role. Between Milford and Isaako, Jamayne is clearly the most expendable and Tesi was the next player in line looking for a call-up.

gut said:

It's the elephant in the room isn't it? Darius is lucky the Broncos are going through an injury crisis right now and so Seibs doesn't want to make anymore unforced changes than he has to. I also think that first half against Manly bought him a second chance as well.

Big Pete

Referee
Dearden is set to come in for Isaako on the bench.

Ideally Tom would be going through the rigors of ISC football and getting some runs on the board but that's impossible in these Covid times. I think this is a common sense option and if Milford and Croft can't perform than Tom can come and get some reps in.

It's harsh on Isaako but I really don't see him as anything other than a fullback and he isn't particularly great there either.

The Broncos have to put the past four weeks behind them and start over. They can't afford to go into their shells, they need to treat this like a final and get some belief into themselves. Otherwise for some of these players it'll be the end of the road for them.

betcats

Referee

Seibold is in way over his head.

gUt

Coach
Has it been confirmed anywhere that Isaako is out of the game entirely?

yes it has

Nerd

Bench
Looks like our once great club is destined for their first wooden spoon. He's trying hard but lets face it Milford isn't a 5/8 he's obviously a fullback and at this rate will be shown the door the second his contract is up. Possibly the worst effort I've ever seen put in by a Broncos team and who ever was responsible for signing Siebold to a 5 year deal must be looking over his shoulder. I don't know if that is White or Lockyer but someone has to be made accountable.

I don't believe Lodge is playing anywhere near good enough to be our leading front rower and is either playing busted or just isn't up to it.

The season is gone so now is the time to ditch Boyd and let a young player gain some NRL experience. Looks like it's going to be a long couple of years as they are going to have to rebuild this team from the ground up as no decent player would now want to sign with us.

League guru

Juniors
Looks like our once great club is destined for their first wooden spoon. He's trying hard but lets face it Milford isn't a 5/8 he's obviously a fullback and at this rate will be shown the door the second his contract is up. Possibly the worst effort I've ever seen put in by a Broncos team and who ever was responsible for signing Siebold to a 5 year deal must be looking over his shoulder. I don't know if that is White or Lockyer but someone has to be made accountable.

I don't believe Lodge is playing anywhere near good enough to be our leading front rower and is either playing busted or just isn't up to it.

The season is gone so now is the time to ditch Boyd and let a young player gain some NRL experience. Looks like it's going to be a long couple of years as they are going to have to rebuild this team from the ground up as no decent player would now want to sign with us.

No Milford is not trying hard. He and a few other players are not trying at all.
The simple fact is there are no replacements. Overall the Broncos squad is quiet weak with little depth. Too many players were signed on potential. Siebold and the recruitment people (Lockyer included) created this situation.

Nerd

Bench
Don't know financially if it is possible to sack Siebold straight away but if they do surely some feelers would be put out to Kevin Walters. If White or Lockyer are the reasons that they won't do this one or both of them need to be tapped on the shoulder. I have been giving Siebold the benefit of the doubt to prove himself but it appears that this benefit of the doubt has been misplaced though I do have the horrible feeling that Boyd keeps getting picked week after week as an instruction from management to cover up the mistake of resigning him to a long term contract.

Drastic times call for drastic measures and I'd say now is that time. At some stage management have to take responsibility for our roster position which includes some disastrous long tern signings which include the coach.

wain

Juniors
maybe I'm too much of an optimist...but I still don't think its alarm bells like the media says.

I was so ticked off with the number of hypocritical comments in the media I read this week.
Last year, everyone said get rid of Boyd, then this week Joey said put him at full-back.
They said to get rid of Macca, so we bought in Turpin...but then Turpin got injured and everyone questioned why Macca wasn't there.
Probably the worst though was everyone who said to buy a half. They said in 2019 that Dearden and everyone had gotten a chance and failed (even though Dearden and O'Sullivan were both injured after a few games). We got Croft, and now they are questioning why Dearden has never gotten a chance.

Rant over...that being said, the team is playing rubbish right now. I'm also a realist and realise how much talent we have on the sideline...but 'best team on paper' doesn't win games obviously.

I'm not a fan of Milf at fullback, For me, if he is in the team, he needs to be 5/8. But I'd also be ok with him being dropped to let him know that he needs to lift his game. I thought Herbie was a highlight last night....even if just the fact he didn't give up the chase on the intercept try when others couldn't be arsed.

I'm not a fan of dumping the coach. That's a permanent solution to a temporary problem, and knee-jerk...plus then who else is better suited and available?

Id drop Oates, Boyd, Milf...and have Herbie cover all 3 spots, plus his own :)
Seriously though, 2 of those 3 are talented and young enough to come back into the team after sitting them out for a week or two.

And don't drop Niu after 1 game. If anything and Milf needs to be dropped...maybe either Dearden or Niu at 5/8? Is Sean OSullivan available? I thought he was better than Dearden last year.

anyway...there's my ramblings from an NRL fan in Adelaide who doesn't have the chance to talk to anyone in person about my frustrating Broncos...so takes his ramblings out on the forum :)

wain

Juniors
Don't know financially if it is possible to sack Siebold straight away but if they do surely some feelers would be put out to Kevin Walters.

I don't know why, but I've never been too sure about Kevvie as coach. He reminds me of Freddy...I think Freddy is so overrated...just got lucky with coming into origin when QLD was at the end of their reign with some all-time greats. I also think Mal was a smart man to get out when he did, cos everyone thinks he's a genius coach.

I think I could have coached QLD to those series wins :)

10$ Ferret

Staff member
Being the head coach of a SOO team is so much more about motivation than technical coaching. There is always a technical guy around but its very different to coaching week in week out in NRL.

Thats why Fittler is successful at SOO but useless at club coaching

renouf

Juniors
Bring Walters in to save the season.. but would never happen. IMO he hasn't done anything spectacular with QLD but he IS Brisbane, like Hasler is Manly. On a side note, I've never seen so many injuries and suspensions, seems like every week someone is either injured or suspended.

Latest posts