What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 R7 Sat - Cowboys 32-20 Knights @ QCBS

Round 7: Cowboys v Knights

• Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

jim_57

Staff member
If Green has any brains he’ll let Morgan sit the rest of the year out to get himself right. He’s been busted for 2.5yrs straight ffs

I remember saying that last year after he copped 2 bad concussions, the season was already f**ked he probably should have sat it out.

That first half was one of if not the best half we've played since 2017, with a spine of less than 60 NRL games combined. Give these guys some game time and see how it goes, only change I'd make would be to shift Tabuai-Fidow to wing when Holmes comes back, bring Morgan back off the bench for a while if he does return. We desperately need some pace in the backline, after a few false starts from Gela-Mosby they might have finally found the answer with HTF.

Reflector

Juniors
Both teams started sloppy but the Cowboys recovered after about 10 minutes in and played a much better first half, you could see their second half against Wests last week wasn't a one-off. Don't know what happened to the Knights defence up the middle but NQ steamrolled them- at times it was like watching the islander boy in the U/10's who's had a growth spurt before anybody else! For the second time in 3 weeks, the Knights played a sloppy opening half with rubbish handling and wasted kicking options but turned it around after h/t to win the second half 20-6 and actually finished with more possession and a better completion rate than the Cowboys. But they have to stop giving teams sizeable leads in the first half and then spending the second half chasing down deficits. Not sure if it was the long journey to Townsville same day or arrogance after clinically disposing of the awful Broncos last week, but the whole side looked half-asleep in the opening 40 minutes. Failing to rectify these lethargic starts is the difference between a side who finishes 5-8 and one that gets the security of top 4.

Cowboys have looked unmotivated all year. The first half of this match was the first time they tried to win the ruck, generate second phase play and get to the loose ball before the opposition. They took their foot off the pedal in the second half and let the Knights back into the contest, which shows there's still a lot of improvement left in this team if it wishes to compete with the big boys. Botched two second half tries but they looked a lot more creative than they have in years, which was good to see.

They need to get Esan Marsters more ball with more space to run as he is a dangerous ball runner.

I'd kept HTF at fullback and put Holmes on the wing. The kid's special.

I like the tactic of kicking for touch to get a breather after each set. When they went away from this play the Knights started to wrestle the momentum back in their favour.

If Green lets Clifford play his natural game and doesn't put undue pressure on him he will become Thurston's successor. I just don't think ballplaying is Morgan's strongsuit. He's too strong, quick and explosive as a ball runner to be wasted at halfback. When he set up that try to level the score in the 2015 GF he was practically out in the right centre corridor and used his speed and strength to draw the winger in so he could get Feldt into open space. He has done similar stuff to that in Origin while playing in that position. He's either a centre or a fullback.

beave

Coach
I have no issue seeing Morgan in the centres. Bar that run into the 2017 finals, Morgan’s kicking is fairly shithouse. I’d rather see him focus on his running game and chime in with the ball playing when needed.

isaiah

Bench
Just watched the game again. The only thing shitter than our performance is Ginnane’s commentary.
You were only able to play as well as the cowboys let you. When ponga is your star, his old coach is going to have a good plan

mozza91

Coach
You were only able to play as well as the cowboys let you. When ponga is your star, his old coach is going to have a good plan
We were terrible defensively. Falling off tackles and no commitment whatsoever. The Cowboys were great in the first half and thoroughly deserved the win. We were shit though.