What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vs Storm rd7

Rich102

Staff member
IP looked gassed after 5 minutes.
Was very slow getting back onside after making a tackle for the rest of the game.
Sorry, pure plod for mine.

Diesel

Referee
My only motivating factor this year is to avoid the wooden spoon, I’m not sure the players on-field goal is the same.

Big Marn

Juniors
Reports that Paasi, Maumolo and Fusitua will be heading home
Geez
Theres people at home doing it way tougher than them. Lost their jobs, whole futures uncertain, mortgages and bills mounting up. I get that they miss their families but its not forever. Facetime, Zoom bring families into each others living rooms. I have close family living in India and the USA that I'm only able to hug and kiss every couple of years when I've saved up enough money to go visit them. It sucks that it cant be more often but it is what it is.
Im not going to question their motives, but maybe they need a bit of perspective.

looks like the story is developing on this twitter thread

Last edited:

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Paasi hardly done anything all year. No big deal.

Fus and Ken, let them go. Perfect time to get in some loan players and see what we can do with wingers who play like wingers and not props.

Do Hiku and Beale want to go too?

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Hasn’t Fus got a new baby? I’d understand him wanting to come home, zoom/FaceTime isn’t an alternative to holding you child and he’ll never get that time again.

Geez
Theres people at home doing it way tougher than them. Lost their jobs, whole futures uncertain, mortgages and bills mounting up. I get that they miss their families but its not forever. Facetime, Zoom bring families into each others living rooms. I have close family living in India and the USA that I'm only able to hug and kiss every couple of years when I've saved up enough money to go visit them. It sucks that it cant be more often but it is what it is.
Im not going to question their motives, but maybe they need a bit of perspective.

Agree and disagree.
If they promised something and it being blocked, it's not really fair.
But they have to look at the bigger picture as you state vs other truely struggling would swap with them in a nanosecond.
Maybe "some time on the tools" would help them get some perspective?

Hasn’t Fus got a new baby? I’d understand him wanting to come home, zoom/FaceTime isn’t an alternative to holding you child and he’ll never get that time again.
You never can, until you have another kid! :p
Partners can be doing it tough as well at this time if not a lot of family support.
It is rough if they have been promised something and it is not being delivered.
It is worse that apparently Australians passport/residence partners are now over.

I'd say if we were winning more it may be a different scenario.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Geez

I couldn’t agree with you less.

I said at the restart of the season, these guys are going to do it hellishly tough. And it’s not losing games=homesick. Some have kids and you cannot make up for lost memories, for time away. I said this too, money doesn’t hug you. These guys don’t need to harden up. They are being asked to do something they didn’t sign up for and now they’re not getting what they were told they’d get - their families. Payten said there were no excuses in regards to being away from families and hes wrong. What some other people are feeling and how Covid has affected them is absolutely irrelevant.

This is an unprecedented season, it’ll never happen again. And we’re the hardest hit. I 100% back anyone who is mentally struggling with this and wants to go home to their families. I’d be swimming home if you promised me my family, I wasn’t getting it and I had no idea when I was going to see them. If new outbreaks happen, they won’t. Then you’re missing things with your kids you can never replay, and that’s not something you get over at the end of the season

Big Marn

Juniors
Hey Penrose, Make your mind up on your stance over this.
This is you earlier in the week over players threatening to quit when Kearney was sacked.
"
"f**k that. They are professionals. Coaches get sacked. Kearney is a coach. Yes it's great if he forms bonds with players, but his main role is to get us winning football matches. And we aren't. We're average as hell.

Harris is no doubt emotional, a bit tired, missing family, all those things. I get it. That has fuelled those quotes. But no player has the right to quit on us as fans because the coach goes. You are still accountable to us, the people who turn up every week when we can, have been turning up all these years, spending our hard earned, riding the highs and lows etc. So no, you'll have to turn up next week, every week.

We're going to get pumped this week. Melbourne on the bounce back from a loss, these sort of quotes coming out."

So its not alright to quit for one thing but its alright to quit for another?
As people were saying on that twitter thread I linked, if they made a promise to the players that their family could come and they are reneging then sure. Thats an obligation the NRL should be doing their utmost to uphold. But I dont see any other reason for players to just quit. It is not a sport, its a profession, a livelihood, a career. These guys are well paid professionals and if they want to keep having a profession in league in the longterm, quitting at the first sign of hardship is not going to endear them to future employers.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Completely different. One regards their family, and an unprecedented situation with a pandemic, one regards a normal part of professional league which is a coach being sacked.

TheDMC

Bench
I’m sure it’s not easy, but bailing home is a bit soft to leave your employer and teammates in the lurch. It’s only a few months.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I’m sure it’s not easy, but bailing home is a bit soft to leave your employer and teammates in the lurch. It’s only a few months.

depends on the individuals situation. If you’ve got young kids (especially babies) a few months is a huge sacrifice.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
depends on the individuals situation. If you’ve got young kids (especially babies) a few months is a huge sacrifice.

Absolutely. A few months is so many milestones, so many memories missed, it's just a shit tonne of time. And you never get it back. I stayed home for the first 3-4 months of my first born, they are the most cherished moments of my life. And I believe we are closer as a result.

As people were saying on that twitter thread I linked, if they made a promise to the players that their family could come and they are reneging then sure. Thats an obligation the NRL should be doing their utmost to uphold. But I dont see any other reason for players to just quit. It is not a sport, its a profession, a livelihood, a career. These guys are well paid professionals and if they want to keep having a profession in league in the longterm, quitting at the first sign of hardship is not going to endear them to future employers.

I think that's the issue, right? They were told their families were going to come over, and now it's not happening. I guess it's out of the NRL's hands, but that's so tough. You have your heart and mind set on a day that never comes. It's draining. And you don't know when the end/your family coming is going to happen, that uncertainty would eat at you. Is it worse because we're losing? Maybe, that's just another layer of mental hardship. Certainly doesn't make it easier. But we were never going to win. Our side is average, and all that BS that George talked about motivation before we went over - no clue. We were always going to run out of mental steam away from home week in, week out.

This isn't hardship. This isn't sweating it out through a few losses. It's the upheaval of your life. Compare it to FIFO workers. Those guys sign up for it knowing they're away from their families. It's hard, but they accept it when they sign on. These guys didn't. Not only that, they've taken pay cuts to spend less time with their families.

I have zero problem with anyone in this team who says I'm mentally not up to this and I want to go home. I had a problem with the coach thing because that's footy. But this isn't. It won't be next year, it won't be ever again (I hope). It can't be easier either, seeing the guys at every other club who are able to be with their family, and even guys like Adam Blair has his family over because his wife is an Aussie citizen. That's brutal for the guys who are without. I've got two kids, I get it. Anyone who thinks Skype makes up for it, I'm sorry it doesn't.

Diesel

Referee
I’ve said this before, but the NRL has to look after the Warriors, the other 15 teams and I’d assume all staff go home at night to their families. There needs to be a lot of Australian clubs playing home games in NZ next year.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I’ve said this before, but the NRL has to look after the Warriors, the other 15 teams and I’d assume all staff go home at night to their families. There needs to be a lot of Australian clubs playing home games in NZ next year.

I think we know that won't happen. To be honest, I'd rather things went back to status quo in 2021 if we're unaffected at that time. I completely hear what you're saying but I'd be happier just to write off 2020 as a year we were absolutely never going to do well (possibly even with a good squad and coach, I don't think we would've) and forget it ever happened.

I like that we're now in the market for a coach, we can get some games into the younger/inexperienced guys, we can recruit on the back of a new coach, and generally align to next year with much less criticism than if we were in the middle of a normal losing season.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
A few weeks of sleepless nights and 2am feedings and he'll be swimming back to the Central Coast haha

We should be flying over another 4 or 5 players from NZ now so that they can clear quarantine by the time these guys go back home. Find some union boys who can't get a game if you have to, or the 20's.

Last edited:

SpaceMonkey

Immortal

I don’t want a whole lot of extra home games next year, that will just make other fans whine about us getting a free ride. I think a better repayment would be a formal agreement that say, two Warriors away games a year are moved to NZ venues for the next 5-10 years, with those games being shared equally around the other clubs.