What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rnd 8 vs Cowboys Team List Thread

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
After watching a lot of Wenty last season I reckon Rhys Davies would be ok. He is a boring footballer but he defends well and has a great kicking game, especially close to the line. Also a brilliant goal kicker. If want someone to take over the general kicking in game you must go with him.
God no, tell me your joking? Being boring is the least of his problems, he is Wenty at best!!

Gronk

Staff member
Probably because he replaced Brown last year for seven pretty decent games and is the most obvious five-eighth in the squad?
So when Salmon replaced Brown, his role was pretty much to defend and pass. Brown’s job (up until yesterday) was pretty much to defend and pass. Fair enough too, as they are both rookies. My concern is that we’ll have two rookies who are used to the 7 steer the team around. I was watching Brown in the second half and he seemed very relieved that Gutho was taking the attack by the scruff of the neck. So I reckon Gutho will sweep and be the guy. Dylan will play his usual role on the left and the 6 will need to play on the right. Taka is very good on the right.

So for me, having two rookies on is avoidable and preferred. Unless Salmon can be a competent tackle 5 option, I reckon we’re best sticking with Taka and our tackle 5 options be Brown, Reed and Gutho. Taka if we are desperate.

Gronk

Staff member
Taka is an appalling option
Taka is a fill in utility squad player. He won’t be as good as a starting halfback and will probably have some errors in his game. So will rookies like Salmon. However he brings with him solid defence and a very competent attacking raid down the right. What offensive prowess does Salmon bring ?

Bazal

Post Whore
Taka is a fill in utility squad player. He won’t be as good as a starting halfback and will probably have some errors in his game. So will rookies like Salmon. However he brings with him solid defence and a very competent attacking raid down the right. What offensive prowess does Salmon bring ?

No brain snaps, something of a kicking game, and much stronger defence than Taka who is woeful.

Noise

Coach
Taka does not have solid defence.

Happy MEel

First Grade
No brain snaps, something of a kicking game, and much stronger defence than Taka who is woeful.
Agreed re. Taka’s defence. He’d have to be close to the biggest liability in the squad defending 1, 2 or 3 in from the edge.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I have no idea why merkins are promoting Salmon as an option. TBH he has shown me nothing in reggies or in his 17 FG games that he is “solid”. Not saying that he won’t make it as a NRL player - he’s only 21.

he that’s probably the reason he wouId be a good option, no one is complaining he lost us a game or his defence was shocking. Making him a good safe option (I actually think he went ok)

Suitman

Post Whore
he that’s probably the reason he wouId be a good option, no one is complaining he lost us a game or his defence was shocking. Making him a good safe option (I actually think he went ok)

I agree.
You want your injury replacements to be solid and do a job. Salmon did that last year.
He'd be my choice as the replacement 5/8.

Lemon Squash

First Grade
I’d be playing it safe and go

6- Matto
7- Brown

To me Field/Salmon/Rankin/Davies/Smith all have different strengths but they all have a lot of weaknesses not least of all is that none of them have played any footy recently,
so there’s lots of pressure on them to perform.

Matto was a rep half as a junior, played there a fair bit for the Roosters but mostly importantly he is experienced and a calm head. Dylbags just need someone solid to help him steer the team around.

We have enough points from Reedy/Gutho and our backs to get us through the next few weeks. It’s just about playing it smart and getting them quality ball.

I usually agree with the standard ‘you don’t weaken one position to strengthen another’ but I reckon this is our best option on this occasion. We will have NBrown back in 2 weeks, he goes to lock and Marata who has been killing it this year straight onto the edge where he has done well before.

Not a massive fan but I’d probably have Taka on the bench just as a bit of x-factor, if we are a bit flat he can play 6 or on an edge. Or if we are rolling teams he is always dangerous in broken field play.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So when Salmon replaced Brown, his role was pretty much to defend and pass. Brown’s job (up until yesterday) was pretty much to defend and pass. Fair enough too, as they are both rookies. My concern is that we’ll have two rookies who are used to the 7 steer the team around. I was watching Brown in the second half and he seemed very relieved that Gutho was taking the attack by the scruff of the neck. So I reckon Gutho will sweep and be the guy. Dylan will play his usual role on the left and the 6 will need to play on the right. Taka is very good on the right.

So for me, having two rookies on is avoidable and preferred. Unless Salmon can be a competent tackle 5 option, I reckon we’re best sticking with Taka and our tackle 5 options be Brown, Reed and Gutho. Taka if we are desperate.

if anything Drown wouId have been relieved with Gutho helping him out was because Taka wasn’t doing much of “halves” role. Meaning Gutho had to control one side as Drown couldn’t do it all.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Anyhow I do reckon it’s only between Taka or Salmon.

Interestingly looking at last year when Drown was out Salmon or Smith filled in. Taka was never picked there.

Suitman

Post Whore
if anything Drown wouId have been relieved with Gutho helping him out was because Taka wasn’t doing much of “halves” role. Meaning Gutho had to control one side as Drown couldn’t do it all.

He did a damned good job of trying though.
I was so impressed how he took on the major playmaking role last night and stepped up. For a 20 y.o, that is phenomenal.

T.S Quint

Coach
Salmon in for Moses. Easy peasy.
I’m not concerned about his talent. My only concern is his lack of playing time recently.

Latest posts