What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game 2020 Jerseys/Logos/Sponsorships

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
Our man in the know (sorry, I know you'll read this - I keep it vague because I don't want to seem like I'm calling on you for information or setting you up for other people to do the same) has been dropping some not so subtle hints on another forum. You can probably expect the Roosters to be wearing a certain unknown brand already mentioned in this thread. You can also probably expect Puma to return to the NRL.

I really hope Storm is with Puma. Considering Storm are the only current ISC team to have already dropped ISC as a sponsor, perhaps a deal has already been made? Considering Puma's on-field gear is produced in Melbourne it would probably make sense.
I was expecting Storm to switch to Nike tbh, they seem to pair regularly with Collingwood - Star and ISC switches made at the same time I think (albeit from adidas and BLK respectively).

sempmrh

Juniors
I was expecting Storm to switch to Nike tbh, they seem to pair regularly with Collingwood - Star and ISC switches made at the same time I think (albeit from adidas and BLK respectively).
I wouldn't really want Nike after the effort (or lack of effort) they put in for the Broncos and Carlton near the end. Nike are too controlling as well when it comes to retail. I've heard about Collingwood possibly getting Nike but that's a surprise to me because I was sure Nike didn't care about Australian sport anymore.

Collingwood had Star for a couple of years before Storm - they were heavily involved in the creation of the brand. I would say moving to Star and then both moving to ISC in 2017 was more of a coincidence and probably says more about ISC than anything. Star was very average and the off-field gear was terrible.

yakstorm

First Grade
The only reason Nike would come back into the Australian team sport space is they must feel they aren't getting the cut through they want via their individual athlete sponsorships.

Nike is such a different beast than the other apparel players out there, especially as their main focuses are more on brand positioning and moving shoes (which even to this day is still around 75% of their revenue).

Whilst of course they still expect to make a profit from their sports team sponsorships, they'd never back the Warriors (despite being Merch sales king's) due to their patchy performance.

As such, I guess if they came back into the NRL, the Storm and Roosters would be possibly the only teams they'd possibly consider at this point in time.

Heisenberg

Juniors
With 9/16 clubs potentially free agents is it time for the NRL to do a deal for all Clubs, referees, Origin and Kangaroos?

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
With 9/16 clubs potentially free agents is it time for the NRL to do a deal for all Clubs, referees, Origin and Kangaroos?

i still think the ARLC should at least look at taking merch production in-house...

Obviously the actual production would be outsourced (as i imagine most brands do), but the design unit would sit inside ARLC hq.

maybe it isnt the right time now, but I think the ARLC should be aiming for as much vertical integration as possible to regain control of the games branding.

Heisenberg

Juniors
i still think the ARLC should at least look at taking merch production in-house...

Obviously the actual production would be outsourced (as i imagine most brands do), but the design unit would sit inside ARLC hq.

maybe it isnt the right time now, but I think the ARLC should be aiming for as much vertical integration as possible to regain control of the games branding.

interesting idea. What do you see as the advantages in doing so? Greater consistency? Any other leagues do this?

juggalo

Juniors
I noticed Saraff Strata have gone from a nice integrated logo on the back of the Sharks jersey to inside a white box. Makes it harder to read so don’t know why the changed it

Heisenberg

Juniors
I’d already forgotten about First Ever and the NBL. Probably not getting the cut through required to justify its existence.

Nike NBA gear is the gold standard. It’d be unreal if NRL had anywhere near that quality. Pipe dream. The ISC teams will end up with ugly trash from Classic.

sempmrh

Juniors
Having one brand across all clubs would be boring. We need variety - and with the new brands coming to the NRL we’re getting it.

The thing about First Ever is that they didn’t really know what they wanted to be. On one hand they were trying to be a fashion brand. The only times I’ve ever seen anyone wearing First Ever clothing is the so-called ‘VIPs’ sitting courtside that were likely given it for free.

Then you had their NBL gear - cheap, sublimated and no different to what teams were wearing years prior. That’s not to say the quality was bad - it was perfectly fine. But it shouldn’t cost too much more to produce something similar to retail NBA jerseys - with heat-pressed wordmarks and numbers. I’m not even expecting NBA authentic quality.

To swing this back to NRL, I feel like ISC had been making some cost cutting changes in recent years. They’ve been doing cheaper sublimated polos and hoodies. There’s a noticeable downgrade in quality between my 2019 training shirt and my 2020 one.

mn_tibor

Juniors
Having one brand across all clubs would be boring. We need variety - and with the new brands coming to the NRL we’re getting it.

The thing about First Ever is that they didn’t really know what they wanted to be. On one hand they were trying to be a fashion brand. The only times I’ve ever seen anyone wearing First Ever clothing is the so-called ‘VIPs’ sitting courtside that were likely given it for free.

Then you had their NBL gear - cheap, sublimated and no different to what teams were wearing years prior. That’s not to say the quality was bad - it was perfectly fine. But it shouldn’t cost too much more to produce something similar to retail NBA jerseys - with heat-pressed wordmarks and numbers. I’m not even expecting NBA authentic quality.

To swing this back to NRL, I feel like ISC had been making some cost cutting changes in recent years. They’ve been doing cheaper sublimated polos and hoodies. There’s a noticeable downgrade in quality between my 2019 training shirt and my 2020 one.

I have a few first ever jerseys and they were exactly the same as the mitchell and ness ones from a few years earlier, if not a little thinner. This may have been a performance choice though. I've got to say though I'm not sure how the heat-pressed nike NBA jerseys will go. I have a few adidas ones from about 5 years ago and the colour on the numbers and names have deteriorated badly. Would much prefer sublimated if they are not going to do stitched on.

The NRL would not have those problems though as it is all sublimation or stitching, no heat-pressed unless it is a late sponsor. And then it looks like a massive sticker!

MugaB

Coach
I rate O'Neills gear, i know panthers had classic before, and asics before that in comparison, but the merchandise and jerseys look and feel a whole heap better than those previous companys
With Newcastle being on board there too, i would hope more clubs switch to O'neills (from ISC if they get dropped by them)

Latest posts