What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Gould reviewing Dragons.

On NRL360 tonight, Paul K*nt and Ben Ikin tore shreds off Siebold and Broncs management. And I mean tore shreds. At one point, laughed at the suggestion that Siebold needs better assistants - what's the point of paying $800k to a head cb if he needs help.

Why the f#*kers treat poor performances differently from club to club is beyond me. This narrative that the Dragons and similar clubs should be satisfied with the odd finals appearance, but the high performance clubs need success and need immediate action.

The baldy prick has done nothing for 7 years but it's not his fault.

So furious.

Straight Shooter
We were supposed to become a "Super Club" after the JV. Surely we should be judged with the same criteria as the Broncos, but we are not.
McGregor gets treated with kid gloves by his media pals.
It's nauseating.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Everything is relative and Gould is talking through his rear end in our case.
7 years of rubbish coaching cannot be rationalized or explained away - even by Gould the "reviewer"
No definitely not, he’s had his time no doubt. I just hope they don’t rush and get any coach just for the sake of changing Mary. No one will admit it but a lot of the coaches out there would make very little difference to our team other than a free 2 year honeymoon period. There are a few that would make a difference maybe Bellamy, Bennett or Wane that would actually make a difference right now and that is mainly due to pulling power. The next tier down from them imo are the Paul Greens, Fitzy’s, Flanno’s of the world. They could put the polish on an already excellent squad but maybe not completely change the fortunes of a club overnight.

getsmarty

Immortal
He should never have been given the top job in the first place.
Not even a FG apprenticeship with any of the top coaches. 2 seasons as a mediocre reserve grade coach and 3 bush premierships which was what his supporters on the Board used to get him appointed.
Talk about a dud appointment that has haunted the fans for ages.
The 7 year itch has become septic and it's time to amputate!

Agree Dennis...And if you go back to when he was signed ( Midway through 2014 ) you will find that I stated this back then.

TruSaint

Referee
We were supposed to become a "Super Club" after the JV. Surely we should be judged with the same criteria as the Broncos, but we are not.
McGregor gets treated with kid gloves by his media pals.
It's nauseating.

Here's where I slightly disagree with you mate.

Not that Mary doesn't get a Free press pass. he does. But in critique of the Broncos / Seibold drama, pundits have called out not only the coach, but the board for signing off on a 5 year deal with a novice / unproven coach.

Heck even Lockyer said yesterday, he is unaware of any " performance criteria" in the Seibold deal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/c89f17a59747ea50a2dd1d05bffa8a5c

In both cases, the performances are as a result of coaches appointed ( in our case appointed / extended / and then extended ), at the direction of incompetent boards.

Broncos will fix this as they are liquid and wont stand for mediocrity. We appear unable to.

Bottom line, some scrutiny on the JV's Directors by the press would be welcome, as Mary's sacking may end up being a band aid solution.

Not that Mary doesn't get a Free press pass. he does. But in critique of the Broncos / Seibold drama, pundits have called out not only the coach, but the board for signing off on a 5 year deal with a novice / unproven coach.

Heck even Lockyer said yesterday, he is unaware of any " performance criteria" in the Seibold deal.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...r/news-story/c89f17a59747ea50a2dd1d05bffa8a5c

In both cases, the performances are as a result of coaches appointed ( in our case appointed / extended / and then extended ), at the direction of incompetent boards.

Broncos will fix this as they are liquid and wont stand for mediocrity. We appear unable to.

Bottom line, some scrutiny on the JV's Directors by the press would be welcome, as Mary's sacking may end up being a band aid solution.
We don't disagree...even slightly.

getsmarty

Immortal

Agree...although allegedly it seems to be more a case that they are reluctant to pay out the deal...they have the money according to media and other sources...

getsmarty

Immortal
An astute judge you are my friend.
I have never seen any coach appointed to a FG NRL team with McGregor's credentials.
Total snow job based on nepotism alone.

Not so sure about astute Dennis...my criteria was based on his results as our fitness trainer ( if my memory serves me correctly we had a horrendous run with injuries under his watch ) ...and the clincher was that Mr Bennett made him surplus to requirements ...that speaks volumes.

TruSaint

Referee
Agree...although allegedly it seems to be more a case that they are reluctant to pay out the deal...they have the money according to media and other sources...

Then the issue is even worse.

I knew there was $$$ on both sides of the JV, but not willing to pay him out may cost us more in the long run.

Mary isn't the cause. He is an inept coach, cushioned by the media, but isn't self employed.

He is the result, and we need a new direction.

Im convinced he will be gone next season, without any inside info. However, if he is replaced then by another novice, then rinse and repeat. Price / Mary / ( Insert-name).

No definitely not, he’s had his time no doubt. I just hope they don’t rush and get any coach just for the sake of changing Mary. No one will admit it but a lot of the coaches out there would make very little difference to our team other than a free 2 year honeymoon period. There are a few that would make a difference maybe Bellamy, Bennett or Wane that would actually make a difference right now and that is mainly due to pulling power. The next tier down from them imo are the Paul Greens, Fitzy’s, Flanno’s of the world. They could put the polish on an already excellent squad but maybe not completely change the fortunes of a club overnight.
Coaches that could make a difference with immediate impact would include:
Bennett - he would not only attract players but would clear out the dead wood in the first week of arriving at the club. He did it in 2009 and McGregor was one of the first ones shown the door.
Robinson - No need to comment, he's not going anywhere.
Bellamy - Same as Robinson.
Toovey - Would be a revelation at St. George if he is given free reign.
Fitzgibbon - has the right pedigree and background.
Wane - Decorated ESL coach which means very little in the NRL IMO. Not for me but seems to be mentioned a lot..
Madge - Can't deny that he is turning the Tigers around.
Hasler - Really admire what Des has done at Manly.
Most of these guys - if they were left alone for a season or two, could transform us into a finals Team.
More importantly, they would attract top line playing talent and develop our juniors.

getsmarty

Immortal
Then the issue is even worse.

I knew there was $$$ on both sides of the JV, but not willing to pay him out may cost us more in the long run.

Mary isn't the cause. He is an inept coach, cushioned by the media, but isn't self employed.

He is the result, and we need a new direction.

Im convinced he will be gone next season, without any inside info. However, if he is replaced then by another novice, then rinse and repeat. Price / Mary / ( Insert-name).

There seems to be a lot going on in the background......If I was a betting man, I'd would say he is gone at the end of this year...But if he survives, that wouldn't surprise me...

getsmarty

Immortal
Bennett - he would not only attract players but would clear out the dead wood in the first week of arriving at the club. He did it in 2009 and McGregor was one of the first ones shown the door.
Wane - Decorated ESL coach which means very little in the NRL IMO. Not for me but seems to be mentioned a lot..
Most of these guys - if they were left alone for a season or two, could transform us into a finals Team.
More importantly, they would attract top line playing talent and develop our juniors.

Stumbling block = The Board

Warabrook saint

Juniors
The issue has always been about the money to pay the imposter out. So it's looking more likely he will survive 2020.

Even analysing our 2 wins and its not a picture of being on the redemption path.
Win 1: A scrappy win against the then out-of-form Sharks 30 - 16
Win 2: A win but was it really 20 - 6? Consider the Titans lost their fullback, a centre and a winger during the game. We scored 1 try after half time at the 46 min mark and didnt score again.

Last game against the Roosters, they lost 3 players (pattern developing here), didnt play 2 of their superstar players and didnt get out of 2nd gear.

The decision that has to be made is about Flannagan, imo.
If they think the imposter to see out his contract then Flanno is only signed to this year. Why opt for a rookie when we have an experienced coach already, and ,at this stage, able to coach again in 2022?

This to me is our biggest issue outside of sacking McGregor.
I don't think the issue is the money. It's the love of the imposter coach, their mate that's the real issue

Dragonslayer

First Grade

Pretty good list there Dennis.

Imo, it's down to 4 (in no particular order):
- Bennett: however Wayne is not a long term solution. As a 'coaching director', this where I'd have him, but not head coach.
- Wane: as you say fantastic pedigree. He wasn't appointed England coach for no reason. Would bring toughness and mind set.
- Fitzgibbon*: publicly stated he will wait 'till 2022.
- Flannagan*: same boat as Fitzgibbon not available 'till 2022

* i think there is some fluidity to them being 'appointed' earlier.

Eddie Jones is another name being thrown about as wanting a crack at the NRL. I would seriously give him more than a glancing look.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Robbo and Des are not even in the question as they are long term contracted I’m talking about names off contract, coming off contract or that have at least been tossed up. Disagree about Toovey.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
Pretty good list there Dennis.

Imo, it's down to 4 (in no particular order):
- Bennett: however Wayne is not a long term solution. As a 'coaching director', this where I'd have him, but not head coach.
- Wane: as you say fantastic pedigree. He wasn't appointed England coach for no reason. Would bring toughness and mind set.
- Fitzgibbon*: publicly stated he will wait 'till 2022.
- Flannagan*: same boat as Fitzgibbon not available 'till 2022

* i think there is some fluidity to them being 'appointed' earlier.

Eddie Jones is another name being thrown about as wanting a crack at the NRL. I would seriously give him more than a glancing look.
I agree with you, I also would look at Jones too. I think of the two clubs Sharks and Dogs he’s been liked to we would suit him better. We have some great juniors, he was going to sign Ryles as assistant for England, maybe he could sign Ryles as his assistant for us with a view to becoming our head coach.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Lockyer said that there is no performance criteria for Siebold at the Broncos. And here we thought only Saints are that dumb not to have such a thing in a coaches contract. Even the bigger clubs are as dumb as ours that we love.

In a job that is purely based on results, performance based criteria should be the 1st thing you would add to a contract. If you don't perform to our standards you are out. Too easy. If a coach refuses to sign on based on performance criteria, then he clearly has doubt that he can bring any improvement or success to a club.

After this debacle, I think Saints should offer 1 year deals to coaches and put in a clause, if the club makes the finals you automatically get another year and a certain % as a bonus or salary increase.

I don't get why it seems so hard to negotiate this type of stuff when you are in the box seat.

TruSaint

Referee
Lockyer said that there is no performance criteria for Siebold at the Broncos. And here we thought only Saints are that dumb not to have such a thing in a coaches contract. Even the bigger clubs are as dumb as ours that we love.

In a job that is purely based on results, performance based criteria should be the 1st thing you would add to a contract. If you don't perform to our standards you are out. Too easy. If a coach refuses to sign on based on performance criteria, then he clearly has doubt that he can bring any improvement or success to a club.

After this debacle, I think Saints should offer 1 year deals to coaches and put in a clause, if the club makes the finals you automatically get another year and a certain % as a bonus or salary increase.

I don't get why it seems so hard to negotiate this type of stuff when you are in the box seat.

It is supposed to be the clause that could save the Broncos millions if they decide to part ways with Anthony Seibold but it’s news to Darren Lockyer.

The Broncos director and club legend had no prior knowledge of a performance-based termination clause in Seibold’s contract as first reported last year.

The reports claimed the financial cost of sacking Seibold could be reduced if on-field performances were to blame.

Obviously, given Brisbane’s predicament having lost five-straight games since the resumption of the season, such a clause would be handy if results go further south.

But Lockyer said to his knowledge no such clause exists, further complicating matters for the proud club as they consider how to handle the current run of losses.

“When the club is in this situation and you’ve lost five in a row, and some of those defeats have been large and embarrassing, you’re always going to question things,” Lockyer said on 100% Footy.

“There’s a long-term contract there for Seibold. When we appointed him, we thought he was the right person to carry us into the next five years.

“The clause that you’re referring to I know nothing about, it must be there from a board perspective because if there was I would know about it."

possm

Coach
I'd say Craig Young is working very hard to get Dean in the slot. I just hope on this occasion he fails.

Puff

First Grade

I have said it many times. NRL management lvl employees have the IQ/ability of walnut stampers. An organisation that upholds Gould as an intellectual giant must have brains the size of peas