What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Bateman

shear_joy9

Coach
it's a massive loss with him leaving but his injury history is becoming a concern. The dogs could potentially have another Foran on their hands if they sign him

Knight Dragon

Juniors
Bad loss for the struggling Raiders but..... As much we need a player of his caliber he’s probably not the type of person you want at a club already struggling. He’s on huge money as it is, not loyal to the team who gave him the chance as far I’m concerned. So John if you’re reading this f**k OFF!

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
If he's considering Bulldogs for around $650k then you'd have thought it would be worth Canberra offloading someone to upgrade him. A rare attacking talent at second row is worth a lot.
Its barely above what he is already on. He burnt his bridges at the club and they're happy to let him go.

Weapon of a player, but a Dugan level human being.

skeepe

Immortal
People are being way too harsh on John.

It's all about his child. And who can feed their kid on a measly 500k per year?

He'd be buying her clothes from Kmart at best on that paltry sum.

Poor John. Poor poverty stricken child.

Indeed. Instantly brought to mind this gem from the NBA a few years ago

shear_joy9

Coach
Ricky goes nuclear as he lashes Bateman’s ‘manipulating, agitating’ manager over star Raider’s exit

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has urged the NRL to crack down on player managers, publicly lashing Isaac Moses after he was able to force John Bateman out of the Raiders.

On Tuesday Canberra confirmed that they had agreed to let Bateman walk out on the last year of his contract to seek better offers.

It comes after Bateman linked with Moses in the build-up to last year’s grand final.
https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nrl-premiership/match-centre/NRL20200806
Since then the Englishman has asked for four releases, something he has continued to deny after foxsports.com.au revealed he had been seeking to leave the Green Machine.

“We knew what was going to happen and to (CEO Don Furner) Don’s credit he put a timeline on his manager and we got what we knew was coming. It’s really disappointing.”

Stuart continued, saying that the game needed to do more to protect clubs.

The likes of Ryan Matterson have downed tools in recent months, and Stuart says that the Bateman departure was another example of the game needing to do more.

“John is a big part of the squad and he’s a world class player so to lose him really disappoints me because we here at the club have worked so hard to build a strong roster,” he said.

“And then you have players getting pulled out of it the way John has, [it’s] really disappointed me.

“It disappoints me the way the game allows it. I feel as though the game really needs to help clubs in regards to how we have to deal with certain managers over the way they agitate clubs and how they manipulate communications and negotiations to suit them and them only.

“It’s not always in the best interest of the player and it disappoints me because its so hard to build a strong roster.”

Stuart also said he was glad that Canberra had fronted up, rather than allowing their club to be overrun by the control of powerful agents.

Moses, who is appealing to keep his NRL registration, is known to have a large number of clients at the Warriors and Brisbane.

“I’m proud that the club has taken a strong stance,” Stuart added.

The last thing that we are going to be is a club such as the Warriors or the Broncos where they’ve been ruined by manipulation and agitation of roster.”

merkin act by Bateman for numerous reasons. Firstly f**king over Canberra, secondly trying to hide behind family as to why he is going, thirdly aligning himself with that dog Moses and lastly and possibly the worst, giving that f**kwit James Hooper an opportunity to get on TV with his shit eating grin and give everyone the old "I told you so."