What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

John Bateman

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Sydney is only a direct flight to the UK. I don't blame John Bateman for looking after his daughter. Family is more important than a pig skin.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Sucks for the Raiders and their fans, especially after Canberra paid what $250k transfer fee to get him from Wigan? Real poor form from Bateman to then only let them get 18 months from him.

However is it true Canberra allowed a ‘renegotiation Clause’ in his contract for every season? If so they’ve really just set themselves up for this and it’s hard to feel sorry for them.

soc123_au

Staff member
Ricky is usually good for a laugh when interviewed, but he was spot on in relation to the Bateman situation. Raiders have been pretty hard done by in this deal. Is Bateman going to give them back the transfer fee?

Chook Norris

First Grade
Ricky goes nuclear as he lashes Bateman’s ‘manipulating, agitating’ manager over star Raider’s exit

Canberra coach Ricky Stuart has urged the NRL to crack down on player managers, publicly lashing Isaac Moses after he was able to force John Bateman out of the Raiders.

On Tuesday Canberra confirmed that they had agreed to let Bateman walk out on the last year of his contract to seek better offers.

It comes after Bateman linked with Moses in the build-up to last year’s grand final.
Since then the Englishman has asked for four releases, something he has continued to deny after foxsports.com.au revealed he had been seeking to leave the Green Machine.

“We knew what was going to happen and to (CEO Don Furner) Don’s credit he put a timeline on his manager and we got what we knew was coming. It’s really disappointing.”

Stuart continued, saying that the game needed to do more to protect clubs.

The likes of Ryan Matterson have downed tools in recent months, and Stuart says that the Bateman departure was another example of the game needing to do more.

“John is a big part of the squad and he’s a world class player so to lose him really disappoints me because we here at the club have worked so hard to build a strong roster,” he said.

“And then you have players getting pulled out of it the way John has, [it’s] really disappointed me.

“It disappoints me the way the game allows it. I feel as though the game really needs to help clubs in regards to how we have to deal with certain managers over the way they agitate clubs and how they manipulate communications and negotiations to suit them and them only.

“It’s not always in the best interest of the player and it disappoints me because its so hard to build a strong roster.”

Stuart also said he was glad that Canberra had fronted up, rather than allowing their club to be overrun by the control of powerful agents.

Moses, who is appealing to keep his NRL registration, is known to have a large number of clients at the Warriors and Brisbane.

“I’m proud that the club has taken a strong stance,” Stuart added.

The last thing that we are going to be is a club such as the Warriors or the Broncos where they’ve been ruined by manipulation and agitation of roster.”
Playing devil's advocate here. Ricky says he's proud of the club's strong stance. Isn't there the case that the club was not as strong as it could've been?

I mean they've lost a player. Arguably they could've held their ground and pushed Bateman to keep his contract.

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
Sucks for the Raiders and their fans, especially after Canberra paid what $250k transfer fee to get him from Wigan? Real poor form from Bateman to then only let them get 18 months from him.

However is it true Canberra allowed a ‘renegotiation Clause’ in his contract for every season? If so they’ve really just set themselves up for this and it’s hard to feel sorry for them.

‘spot on , it’s a claytons contract which means each year he is always looking to get out or better deal . They essentially signed him to 1 year contract with 2 year player option

simmo05

Bench

But surely you can renegotiate, and if both parties fail to reach a suitable agreement, the original contract stays as is? f**k, that Moses is utter shit, and so is Bateman for that matter

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Playing devil's advocate here. Ricky says he's proud of the club's strong stance. Isn't there the case that the club was not as strong as it could've been?

I mean they've lost a player. Arguably they could've held their ground and pushed Bateman to keep his contract.
That's like saying the Roosters could have held onto Latrell for this year. It's not worth keeping these type of players around.

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Don't kid yourself. This would have played out exactly the same no matter what was on the contract. Did Matterson have a renegotiation clause? Contracts mean nothing to players.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
Ricky Stuart said:
The last thing that we are going to be is a club such as the Warriors or the Broncos where they’ve been ruined by manipulation and agitation of roster.”
Wow, pretty direct, and most likely on the money, pointing of the finger at a certain sleazy de-registered manager. I recall reading that Nick Politis would never sign any player managed by Moses, only making an exception for Tedesco, who of course is now managed by someone else.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
"Anthony Seibold's manager is Isaac Moses, who at the time had about 15 contracted players at the Broncos," Bennett said.

"There's no way that those two wouldn't have discussed that playing group there. Anthony had a job at South Sydney but he still decided to take the job up there. If he thought he was going to an inferior football club, he wouldn't have gone.
And now this from Wayne Bennett in today's SMH. Seems this is the week for dirty laundry to be put out.
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/i-...-i-won-t-cop-it-any-more-20200630-p557qh.html

BadnMean

Juniors

We could keep John & sit him on his arse for a year in reggies or sitting out like Tallis all those year ago- but it means we have 650k or so cap (raiders reported offer to Bateman) sitting twiddling thumbs for a year, whereas if we cut him we can spend that money immediately to get another forward in.

So there is a pretty strong reason a club in that situation needs to let a player go- well *most* clubs do. But of course, it may be difficult for some to understand what this "salary cap" we speak of is & how it works...

nick87

Coach
That's like saying the Roosters could have held onto Latrell for this year. It's not worth keeping these type of players around.
Don't kid yourself. This would have played out exactly the same no matter what was on the contract. Did Matterson have a renegotiation clause? Contracts mean nothing to players.

These posts are spot on, there is nothing clubs can do anymore
Players have realised they hold all the power and there is little if anything a club can do anymore

it is what it is.
i would have liked JB not to handle it the way he has in the media, but i dont at all blame him for wanting to maximise his earning potential at this point in his life where his earning potential will never be higher

Id prefer to see him go home to his daughter if the money is much the same because selfishly i dont want to see him play against us. I love the bloke, love how he plays the game, love what he brought to my footy team, loved his contribution to renewing my hope that one day maybe i can see my team win a comp and be old enough to really saviour it and appreciate it as a fan.

Vic Mackey

Referee

Don't know mate. To me its like the difference between these two sentances

''I think we should be allowed to see other people''

and

''To the exclusion of all others''

You can't say the first line then get shitty when they go off and root your neighbour. Sure, the later still might cheat, but that makes them a scum bag.