What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Former Panthers in the NRL

franklin2323

Immortal
He has performed well against some decent forward packs including ours. It's never easy to pump out 200 metres in the middle of the field.

78 minutes against Raiders. 49 tackles, 247 running metres of which 132m per post contact. Even against Titans or Warriors they would be impressive numbers.

People want to rave when a winger does that despite probably 100+ metres being from kick returns and getting the ball in space on the sideline. Which is still impressive no doubt. But front rowers dont often get easy metres or easy tackles.

Props get the drop outs and kick returns though so quite easily can rake up the metres if you have possession.

Taumalolo is the freak one. Doesn’t do that nor play huge minutes yet gets 200m a game

Last edited:

franklin2323

Immortal
There comes a point to just give credit where it's due. He was becoming this player for us before the broken jaw x2. Sure it looks like he needed a change to get his head right but this year he is one of the top props in the game.

We are 7 games in. With a 10 week break in the middle. A very small sample size to say either way.

People on here like to go off early

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...&isAvg=true&category=running&sortBy=runMetres

He is currently averaging 139m a game. sits 12th for ave metres a game

Far better than he was the last couple of years but still not elite or worth the $$ he was being paid

Fangs

Coach
Props get the drop outs and kick returns though so quite easily can rake up the metres if you have possession.

Taumalolo is the freak one. Doesn’t do that nor play huge minutes yet gets 200m a game

Agreed but its still a big number. He used to take those hitups here at Penrith as well.

I too will wait for consistent form but so far is appears he is playing better football at another club. That points to attitude to me.

franklin2323

Immortal
Agreed but its still a big number. He used to take those hitups here at Penrith as well.

I too will wait for consistent form but so far is appears he is playing better football at another club. That points to attitude to me.

Attitude is a huge part of his issues. Lets see how long it lasts

mxlegend99

Referee

More than half those metres are post contact. 132m is a decent effort for a total figure and those were his post contact metres. That's insane.

Taumalolo is the best forward in the game. Without doubt. But look at the packs he has played against. Call RCG a flat track bully yet happy to praise JT against the Broncos, Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Tigers and Knights. Knights the only pack worth feeding from them.

He's also playing 70ish minutes a game. Only played less in 2 of those games. In none of his 6 games has JT had a higher post contact metre count than RCG either. RCG has played less minutes than Taumalolo in every game except one. Its typically 70ish minutes for JT and 50ish for RCG.

Dont mean for this to sound like i am talking JT down. Hes averaging 250m a game which is just insane. But deadset why is it so hard to admit when a former player is in decent form. RCG has lifted immensely from last year and sure he could turn to shit still. But for now hes doing well. Hes far from the best forward in the game. JFH is easily ahead of him.

Pomoz

Bench
We are 7 games in. With a 10 week break in the middle. A very small sample size to say either way.

People on here like to go off early

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...&isAvg=true&category=running&sortBy=runMetres

He is currently averaging 139m a game. sits 12th for ave metres a game

Far better than he was the last couple of years but still not elite or worth the $$ he was being paid
Thats a really good stats page. It shows that Tamou is still playing well. Averaging 120m a game and 25 tackles, stats that put him 19th and 23rd in the NRL respectively.

RCG is having a good year. We will never know why he couldn't do it at Penrith, but good on him for improving. Hopefully Leniu will develop and be the player we think he can so we don't regret letting RCG go.

It is not unknown for players to perform better at another club or the reverse. Sparkles McGraw and Trevor Gilmeister were the opposite. It's like Penrith was the planet Krypton when they played for us and their super powers were neutralised at the M4 tollgate. They were so poor, they would have struggled to get signed for our reserve grade side, which back then, was pretty handy.

franklin2323

Immortal
Thats a really good stats page. It shows that Tamou is still playing well. Averaging 120m a game and 25 tackles, stats that put him 19th and 23rd in the NRL respectively.

RCG is having a good year. We will never know why he couldn't do it at Penrith, but good on him for improving. Hopefully Leniu will develop and be the player we think he can so we don't regret letting RCG go.

It is not unknown for players to perform better at another club or the reverse. Sparkles McGraw and Trevor Gilmeister were the opposite. It's like Penrith was the planet Krypton when they played for us and their super powers were neutralised at the M4 tollgate. They were so poor, they would have struggled to get signed for our reserve grade side, which back then, was pretty handy.

I like it because they re -watch games and re adjust stats accordingly.

That has been the issue so far. All our recruits I think have been good makes a difference

franklin2323

Immortal
More than half those metres are post contact. 132m is a decent effort for a total figure and those were his post contact metres. That's insane.

Taumalolo is the best forward in the game. Without doubt. But look at the packs he has played against. Call RCG a flat track bully yet happy to praise JT against the Broncos, Bulldogs, Titans, Warriors, Tigers and Knights. Knights the only pack worth feeding from them.

He's also playing 70ish minutes a game. Only played less in 2 of those games. In none of his 6 games has JT had a higher post contact metre count than RCG either. RCG has played less minutes than Taumalolo in every game except one. Its typically 70ish minutes for JT and 50ish for RCG.

Dont mean for this to sound like i am talking JT down. Hes averaging 250m a game which is just insane. But deadset why is it so hard to admit when a former player is in decent form. RCG has lifted immensely from last year and sure he could turn to shit still. But for now hes doing well. Hes far from the best forward in the game. JFH is easily ahead of him.

Parra have played GC and Brisbane away
Have played every other game at home including a shocking Bulldogs team

from that RCG has averaged 138m a game. Decent enough but ranks him 11th for props

JT on the otherhand is averaging 231 from 6 games against similar oppostion

We will know more in a month or so whether it is just a temp blemish or not. Either way good to see him enjoying his footy again

soc123_au

Staff member
I always liked RCG. He seems a pretty strange sort of a dude. Good to see him playing well.

Abacus

Juniors
I may have misread, but pretty sure everyone acknowledges that RCG is going good ATM. Funny watching people react to others wanting to wait & see how long RCG's form/attitude lasts.

franklin2323

Immortal
I may have misread, but pretty sure everyone acknowledges that RCG is going good ATM. Funny watching people react to others wanting to wait & see how long RCG's form/attitude lasts.

Yep. Going well atm but I question if it can go on long term.

Others Iike Bryce etc I am happy enough to call duds and better without them

Kilkenny

Coach

I say good luck to RCG. His form in his last two season’s with us was very disappointing, that goes without saying I guess, but he needed to move and we clearly needed to move him on so good move for all parties.

Regardless of how well he is going with the Eels presently and even if he sustains his form over a number of seasons I am personally glad he is gone. He clearly had a poor attitude in his last two seasons with us, for reasons we will never quite know, maybe it was just the jaw injuries. But any way as I say good luck to RCG.

Tronald Crump

Juniors
Did Penrith get the better deal with Maloney, or did the gummies with Moylan ? It's a mute point.

Moylan's groin and calf have been chronic. Could even end his career early.

We got the better deal.
Maloney had one good year but I think what he did off the field will be very valuable.
Reading that article in the Herald today. Maloney's influence on Cleary's development will pay off long term.
Moylan is probably done.

WestyLife

First Grade
Did Penrith get the better deal with Maloney, or did the gummies with Moylan ? It's a mute point.

Moylan's groin and calf have been chronic. Could even end his career early.

We got a 2 year apprenticeship under a 2 time premiership/SOO winning half for Cleary which was much more valuable.