What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Question on Peter V'landys

PVL ...good for RL or not?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

franklin2323

Immortal
Attendances, membership, making a profit, tv audiences, value to game sponsorship. Hardly struggling! AT least they got a main sponsor, better than some heartland clubs!
The only area you could lay any criticism would be in jnr development but that is really the job of the NRL VIc and NRL not the Melbourne Storm. AFL are building in NSW and Qland because of the funding and work of the AFL, not the AFL clubs paying for and running Jnr AFL in those States.

Attendance - what do they average 15k since 1998. Brisbane 2 would double that
TV attendance the Sydney ratings drop by more then what Melbourne attracts

Ask anyone from Sydney AFL has zero growth despite the millions and millions put in by head office. Now that COLA etc have been taken off the Swans are terrible. GWS are better but struggle to get 10k at games.

So going heartland is much safer route for team 17... team 18 is a different story should be a new market

T-Boon

Coach
Attendances, membership, making a profit, tv audiences, value to game sponsorship. Hardly struggling! AT least they got a main sponsor, better than some heartland clubs!
The only area you could lay any criticism would be in jnr development but that is really the job of the NRL VIc and NRL not the Melbourne Storm. AFL are building in NSW and Qland because of the funding and work of the AFL, not the AFL clubs paying for and running Jnr AFL in those States.

Thats because AFL clubs love their game and know the AFL headquarters are best placed to grow the game so they allow the AFL to take control. The NRL clubs including Melbourne are too gready to allow the NRL headquarters to have a go at expansion. Melbourne Storms job was to try to grow the game in Melbourne stop trying to get out of it. Its like saying Newcastle was not responsible for developing Newcastle. Storm are just bludgers in Melbourne.

jim_57

Staff member
Something about V'landys just reminds me of that new boss in a high position of a company trying to come across as 'one of the boys' to his workers.

Last edited:

taipan

Referee
"Wasting money", "wasting" being the insulting word. It implies that there is no point in investing to grow the game outside its heartland.
At first I thought it was just a brain fart moment in his quest to gain support as he came into the chairman's role by announcing his preference for Brisbane2 expansion. But now he has doubled up on it a few months later with exactly the same phrase. It's pointless stupidity that damages the game for no good reason. Especially with the Vic Govt just investing $10mill in a new centre for VicNRL and WA Govt spending millions on NRL events and SA Govt spending big on Origin for first time.

I agree the wording is a bit of a put off, but remember that's his(an Accountant) abrupt Mediterranean style.But the comparisons with Trump are ludicrous.

Don't know that it damages the game, but it craps those in expansion areas.But geez I've heard Gould make similar comments.And Monsieur Um and Agh talk about only fishing where the fish are.
"Wasting money"" perhaps meaning much more needed in that location, or concentrating money firstly where the new club will not require anywhere near as much, and has the juniors and supporter base on tap in a major heartland city, and the TV ratings which draws advertising income.
One thing for sure, he "ain't " going to waste money .

IMO Brisbane whatever it is called ,has always been the apple of the eye of ch9 execs ,where one(name now escapes me) who has since left ,mentioned it was worth then $20m pa.Maybe as part of a future 2023 onward Nein Tv deal, V'Landys is pushing that barrow.
Bear in mind using the excuse 17 team gives clubs a bye is alright short term, but eventually as it lacks continuity, it's eventually built up to evens .The fumblers did it and I still maintain V'Landys will do it .Surely he would have an idea ,Perth are looking at a 3rd fumbler team down the line, and ignoring an NRL team once this happens the door is shut.
The problem we face is once again having our funds drained by not a SL war, but a bleeding virus, that could have been stopped in its tracks, if we had been warned when it first hit in China.

Hell we are all agreed for years that Brisbane urgently needs a 2nd club, if that brings in a lot more revenue re Tv deals, and I think that's why the NRL got est $1bn over 5 years on Foxtel because of Brisbane 2 coming on line, then extra funds should assist a Perth bid.

Who knows what Nein will do,Skidmarks is all over the shop.I could be wrong but Nein and their team of drone commentators are dragging the FTA ratings down.Not one of them engender any sort of excitement in an exciting game, and quite a number of us havegiven them a flick on occasions or just watch our teams.
The way I see it, looking at his comments his priorities are:-
1) Ensuring all current NRL clubs are financially viable, with none cut.He's into tribalism.
2) Getting a 2nd Brisbane side up and running, block the fumblers.
3)Underpinning the game in heartland areas, at grassroots and middle tier levels.
4)Lobbying Govts for ground infrastructure funding, that will test his mettle.
5)Building up a future fund that can assist Perth, but airline travel costs there were and post COVID-19 are damn expensive.
6) Increase non broadcast income. and clubs need to get off their rings to increase memberships.
That's my Sunday night rant and it's goodnite from me.

Chook Norris

First Grade
Love it. AFL running scared of PVL. There'll be some hard truths to accept in that article for most AFL fanatics.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/swans-chairman-fearful-of-v-landys-nrl-20200630-p557nd.html

Swans chairman fearful of V'landys' NRL
Sydney Swans chairman Andrew Pridham has issued an ominous warning that the AFL could "become rugby union" if it fails to keep investing in NSW and Queensland.

Pridham stressed the AFL was facing considerably stiffer competition from the Peter V’landys-led NRL which the Swans supremo said had got the jump on the AFL by returning a fortnight earlier than its competitor from the COVID-19 hiatus and was taking advantage of the flagging fortunes of rugby union.

Pridham said some people in Victoria falsely believed that the AFL was in a position of strength in the northern states and that while huge bounds had been made over the four decades since the Swans moved to Sydney, rugby league remained a clear No. 1.

"The demise in a relative sense of rugby union in both financial and player sense - the number of people playing at schools, going to watch games, the engagement with the community - has dropped substantially since I’ve lived in Sydney (since 1989) ... a lot of that has naturally gravitated to NRL," said Pridham, who along with fellow club chairs/presidents Eddie McGuire (Collingwood), Jeff Kennett (Hawthorn) and Peter Gordon (Western Bulldogs) was co-opted onto the AFL’s crisis cabinet to deal with the impact of the pandemic.

"We’ve got a much stronger competitor now. The NRL, which is the dominant code, is getting stronger. They got the jump on the AFL in terms of getting games back on television. It’s a popular sport for people to watch on TV.

"[It's] not necessarily [about people] going to the [NRL] games, and I think the lens in the southern states tends to be that the way to measure the interest in sport is the number of people that go to the games. It’s one measure, but it’s not the only measure."

With all of the AFL’s expenditure being examined in the wake of the colossal financial hit caused by the coronavirus, Pridham urged head office not to abandon the northern academies which benefit the Swans, Greater Western Sydney, Gold Coast and Brisbane. He said the four clubs, along with the AFL, needed to bandy together to ensure resources are used cleverly and efficiently in the face of financial hemorrhaging across society.

"I think it’s a very high priority, because if we don’t continue the grassroots development eventually you could become rugby union," he said.

"The amount of media content they command in Sydney, it’d be 10 times what the AFL gets. If left unchecked, it’s a big risk. Peter V’landys has really grabbed the imagination of NSW. They're probably going to put another NRL team in Queensland, Brisbane, so they'll have more content there.

"And this is in a landscape where the four AFL clubs in the northern states aren’t particularly financially strong. I think in the AFL, we’re all guilty of equating on-field success to off-field success, and it’s not the way to look at it.

"What the AFL needs to make sure, and we all need to make sure we do is redouble our efforts in terms of grassroots development, the academies, developing facilities, getting into the media, the promotion of the game, junior development. We’ve got to keep investing, and that’s clearly in a landscape where everybody is trying to reduce expenditure."

Jamberoo

Juniors
Attendance - what do they average 15k since 1998. Brisbane 2 would double that
TV attendance the Sydney ratings drop by more then what Melbourne attracts

Ask anyone from Sydney AFL has zero growth despite the millions and millions put in by head office. Now that COLA etc have been taken off the Swans are terrible. GWS are better but struggle to get 10k at games.
So going heartland is much safer route for team 17... team 18 is a different story should be a new market
GWS average in Sydney the last three years is 13K. Brisbane AFL has averaged 24K home crowds since the Lions formed in 1997. 25K last year. Pretty solid. AFL would be happy with all of that, but TV ratings remain low.

A second Brisbane team seems the obvious next move but not sure they would even match that, let alone double it. The key for Bris 2 is how do you split the support of the Broncos. Yes there are a number of RL fans in Bris who don't follow the Broncos, but that won't be enough. Need to create some real rivalry with Broncos somehow.

Brisbane as a city is much more open to other sports than Melbourne is to RL and Sydney to AFL. Similar to Perth. Which is why travel and times zones it the only impediment to Perth being the 18th team.

Swans and AFL getting ready to combat PVL
https://www.smh.com.au/sport/afl/swans-chairman-fearful-of-v-landys-nrl-20200630-p557nd.html

Perth Red

Post Whore
Love it. AFL running scared of PVL. There'll be some hard truths to accept in that article for most AFL fanatics.

No vested interest there! Sydney club calls on AFL to keep investing in Sydney lol Reminds me of Sydney clubs calling for more investment in Sydney because of AFL :)

What is interesting is where he is calling for money to be spent. grassroots development, the academies, developing facilities, getting into the media, the promotion of the game, junior development. Areas that the NRL completely fails to invest in in places like Melbourne and Perth

GWS average in Sydney the last three years is 13K. Brisbane AFL has averaged 24K home crowds since the Lions formed in 1997. 25K last year. Pretty solid. AFL would be happy with all of that, but TV ratings remain low.

Both codes have the same problem, TV partners not willing to put it on main channel. No secondary channel gets viewers over 90k. AFL in Sydney would be one of the most watched programs on secondary channels on a weekend but that isnt going to grow to 100k plus buried there. Same as NRL everywhere except NSW and Qland. On rare occasions Storm get on main channel there audience jumps from 20k on secondary channel to 100k on main channel.
In the UK in the 80's NFL grew massively popular on the back of a main channel showing it on a Sunday evening. Unless you get main channel exposure you've got buckleys of growing a sport significantly.

I agree the wording is a bit of a put off, but remember that's his(an Accountant) abrupt Mediterranean style.But the comparisons with Trump are ludicrous.

Don't know that it damages the game, but it craps those in expansion areas.But geez I've heard Gould make similar comments.And Monsieur Um and Agh talk about only fishing where the fish are.
"Wasting money"" perhaps meaning much more needed in that location, or concentrating money firstly where the new club will not require anywhere near as much, and has the juniors and supporter base on tap in a major heartland city, and the TV ratings which draws advertising income.
One thing for sure, he "ain't " going to waste money .

IMO Brisbane whatever it is called ,has always been the apple of the eye of ch9 execs ,where one(name now escapes me) who has since left ,mentioned it was worth then $20m pa.Maybe as part of a future 2023 onward Nein Tv deal, V'Landys is pushing that barrow.
Bear in mind using the excuse 17 team gives clubs a bye is alright short term, but eventually as it lacks continuity, it's eventually built up to evens .The fumblers did it and I still maintain V'Landys will do it .Surely he would have an idea ,Perth are looking at a 3rd fumbler team down the line, and ignoring an NRL team once this happens the door is shut.
The problem we face is once again having our funds drained by not a SL war, but a bleeding virus, that could have been stopped in its tracks, if we had been warned when it first hit in China.

Hell we are all agreed for years that Brisbane urgently needs a 2nd club, if that brings in a lot more revenue re Tv deals, and I think that's why the NRL got est $1bn over 5 years on Foxtel because of Brisbane 2 coming on line, then extra funds should assist a Perth bid.

Who knows what Nein will do,Skidmarks is all over the shop.I could be wrong but Nein and their team of drone commentators are dragging the FTA ratings down.Not one of them engender any sort of excitement in an exciting game, and quite a number of us havegiven them a flick on occasions or just watch our teams.
The way I see it, looking at his comments his priorities are:-
1) Ensuring all current NRL clubs are financially viable, with none cut.He's into tribalism.
2) Getting a 2nd Brisbane side up and running, block the fumblers.
3)Underpinning the game in heartland areas, at grassroots and middle tier levels.
4)Lobbying Govts for ground infrastructure funding, that will test his mettle.
5)Building up a future fund that can assist Perth, but airline travel costs there were and post COVID-19 are damn expensive.
6) Increase non broadcast income. and clubs need to get off their rings to increase memberships.
That's my Sunday night rant and it's goodnite from me.

Very accurate points.

V’landys is a thinker, great tactician and gets results for who he represents. He knows how to play to your strengths.

He is also aggressive which for the first time have the AFL types worried that he will cut into their recent gains. We have not had this type of leadership since the Arthurson and Quayle days.

Perth Red

Post Whore
GWS average LOL

Swans avg'd sub 15k for most of their first 12 years in Sydney. They are now the best attended sports club in Sydney!
GWS's crowds are terrible but in true AFL style they wont be worried as they see it as a project for the next 30 plus years not the first few. With 6 NRL clubs based on their doorsteps hopefully they never get much bigger.

A second Brisbane team seems the obvious next move but not sure they would even match that, let alone double it. The key for Bris 2 is how do you split the support of the Broncos. Yes there are a number of RL fans in Bris who don't follow the Broncos, but that won't be enough. Need to create some real rivalry with Broncos somehow.

Brisbane as a city is much more open to other sports than Melbourne is to RL and Sydney to AFL. Similar to Perth. Which is why travel and times zones it the only impediment to Perth being the 18th team.

Swans and AFL getting ready to combat PVL
Brisbane 2 will easily draw 20,000-25,000 in their first year and grow. If it's an established brand from the BRL it will have a loyal fanbase from those 45 and older, a fanbase from the 35 to 45 that have fond memories of the competition from their childhood and those under 30 will not have any prejudice towards one club over another. Ten years after Brissie 2 is established Brissie 3 can be introduced.

Lions will be a massive casualty of Brissie 2 and Brissie 3, especially if the Firehawks bid is given the nod.

Jamberoo

Juniors
GWS average LOL
Brisbane 2 will easily draw 20,000-25,000 in their first year and grow. If it's an established brand from the BRL it will have a loyal fanbase from those 45 and older, a fanbase from the 35 to 45 that have fond memories of the competition from their childhood and those under 30 will not have any prejudice towards one club over another. Ten years after Brissie 2 is established Brissie 3 can be introduced.

Lions will be a massive casualty of Brissie 2 and Brissie 3, especially if the Firehawks bid is given the nod.
So you think that people just swing between codes? ‘I don’t like the Broncos so I will follow AFL’, then come back to RL? It won’t be that simple. The trend for most new clubs in Australia is good crowds in the first few years, then a big fall, then if you are performing well and engaging fans, it grows again.

taipan

Referee
Swans avg'd sub 15k for most of their first 12 years in Sydney. They are now the best attended sports club in Sydney!
GWS's crowds are terrible but in true AFL style they wont be worried as they see it as a project for the next 30 plus years not the first few. With 6 NRL clubs based on their doorsteps hopefully they never get much bigger.

Swans arrived in Sydney 1982, and guess when their crowds grew ,SL time 1995/6.Swan's people have admitted the Super League war gave them a leg up, and do not discount the dropping of Souths for some time as also assisting them.
When SL started, the Fairfax Herald gave the Swans a hell of a lot of publicity's an offset to the News ltd Super League.They have been Sydney sport media darlings ,almost to the point of spewing.

Latest posts