What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to re-build the Dragons

SnowDragon

Juniors
Hi Guys,

Found myself thinking about how we can move forward from the disaster that the club feels to have become. I genuinely hurt with the current situation, and really don't want to become that permanent cellar dweller. I want to believe again!

So how to rebuild? (simple as A B C right?)
A) Coach - seems like point #1, but who?
B) Management and staff - I know there will be comments here. I am disappointed that they have allowed us to get to this situation and I have lost belief in them. I hope they can turn it around, or maybe there is a way to inject new people? The new CEO seemed like a good choice to me, and we have seen some improvements (picking teams, change in play style etc.). I have no ideas on what can be done to unite the team and build.
C) Players - We have a lot of players off contract, and the ability to therefore build for the future. This is the main issue I am thinking about.
i) Bring in a star or two??? what positions? who? I tend to think we need to pay overs for such at the moment, and I am thus hesitant to spend money in this way. If we buy, it has to be the right player or players.
ii) build around the current young guys? Here is where I would prefer to focus. Consider paying them more money early in their tenure to build belief and loyalty in a group for the future. Find guys for reasonably length contracts, with options in the clubs favour for the later part of the contracts (at higher salaries based on presumption of success). Explain to them that the club is willing to give them a real chance to prove themselves at a young age, to give them game time with an extended chance to build together, but that the club expects loyalty in return. If players don't want to commit, then let them go and find better guys. Lomax, Cody Ramsey, Clune, Sullivan Feagai bros. Sauni-Esau, Ford, Blacker, Fuimaono, who else??? (I'd love to add Saab to the mix, maybe Sailor and Dufty, but we need know that the pieces all fit together, not too many players who are the same).

So Questions
1) Do we sign any big stars? and if so what position? and posibly who?
2) Which young players should we focus on developing and keeping?

Thoughts?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
We should sign Taumololo, Tedesco, Andrew Fifita, Reynolds & Addo-Carr

And get Bellamy to coach.

Dragon Revival

Juniors
Unfortunately the Club is a lost cause as the decline has gone on for 9 years with changing of the assistant coaches only such as Demetriou and Hornby and Collins. Probably Head and Talau will be next for the exit door even though their winning ratios are over 50%. We will probably lose Lawrie and Saab next to Souths who will join our former coaches Bennett, Demetriou and Hornby! Doust and Johnston our CEOs have gone but Mc Gregor lives on to drag the Club's reputation further in to the sewer. The Joint Venture Board is totally responsible and should all resign. We should sign no further players until the existing coach is removed. Any decent coach could probably get the current roster to the Final Eight by inspiring the players, implementing a decent game plan and selecting players based on performance.

TruSaint

Referee
Start here, and maybe finish here ?

1200px-Centrelink_logo_2013-.svg.png

boardlumps62

Juniors
So there is a rumour Lawrie is going to Rabbits well that's not a problem and Saab well if he wants to be Rabbit so be it. That is not a worry we need to find a coach a good one.
Bennet says I'm staying at South's ok stay there they aren't going that good and above recruits won't do much.
Fitzgibbon is a possible with the timeframe Mary end of next year gone we get Fitzy if he wants us makes sense he is from Wollongong not really an old boy.
What about Matty Head and Talau. Have you watched how the junior teams play these guys can coach a team.
Other choice Wane from England and he will bring or knows some English Talent.
If he comes bring Graham into the fray to teach the forwards and he speaks the same language.
Bring back Coops, Nightingale and find a halves coach if necessary.

possm

Coach
1. The whole structure needs to be looked at. So I'd say to first re-structure St George Illawarra Football Club into an entity that is owned by St George Football Club and WIN Corp/Gordons with the current share-holding remaining the same but with a club membership that is able to elect members to 50% of Board positions.

2. The proposal is for the Board to be split into two classes of membership, the executive Board members (50% of the Board members) and general Board members (50% of Board members.

3. Both WIN/Gordons and St George Football Club would appoint their delegates to the executive positions of the Board once a year and the paid up members of the Club would elect members to the general positions of the Board once a year.

4. As soon as possible the Board should declare all management positions vacant and progressively recruit people to those positions. Mary and Millward should be the first to go.

5. For the NRL squad, recruit 3 marquee players to fill the positions of fullback, left centre and backrow forward. Also, recruit 3 additional first-grade players, 2 props and a lock (if De Belin is unavailable). Fill all other positions with bright young juniors who can understand that loyalty to the big red V and their performance on the field each week are key criteria for selection in first grade. Overall good behaviour is also a key contract criteria.

6. Off-load or let go the follwing players;
Aitken
Lafai
Norman
Hunt
Merrin
K Sims
Saab - if he still wants out at season's end but with compensation from his new Club.
Frizell - already going
Graham - gone
Luke - gone

7. Engage mentors to work with each of our bright young juniors e.g. Gasnier to work with Lomax and ensure that all players are well looked after and feel valued within the Club.,

8. Bring the crowds back by engaging a professional marketing team to handle the Clubs marketing and website work. All games to be split evenly between Kogarah and Wollongong. How about allowing fans to keep a ball that is kicked into the crowd with each ball at the game to be signed by one member of the home and visiting team.

9. Reserve an area at each of our home grounds to be occupied by red V members and the SGI brass band. Admission prices for all of these members to be heavily discounted.

10. Make a special effort to bring the St George District Asian community into the Club by recruiting some talented Asian players.

redv13

Bench
1. The whole structure needs to be looked at. So I'd say to first re-structure St George Illawarra Football Club into an entity that is owned by St George Football Club and WIN Corp/Gordons with the current share-holding remaining the same but with a club membership that is able to elect members to 50% of Board positions.

2. The proposal is for the Board to be split into two classes of membership, the executive Board members (50% of the Board members) and general Board members (50% of Board members.

3. Both WIN/Gordons and St George Football Club would appoint their delegates to the executive positions of the Board once a year and the paid up members of the Club would elect members to the general positions of the Board once a year.

4. As soon as possible the Board should declare all management positions vacant and progressively recruit people to those positions. Mary and Millward should be the first to go.

5. For the NRL squad, recruit 3 marquee players to fill the positions of fullback, left centre and backrow forward. Also, recruit 3 additional first-grade players, 2 props and a lock (if De Belin is unavailable). Fill all other positions with bright young juniors who can understand that loyalty to the big red V and their performance on the field each week are key criteria for selection in first grade. Overall good behaviour is also a key contract criteria.

Aitken
Lafai
Norman
Hunt
Merrin
K Sims
Saab - if he still wants out at season's end but with compensation from his new Club.
Frizell - already going
Graham - gone
Luke - gone

7. Engage mentors to work with each of our bright young juniors e.g. Gasnier to work with Lomax and ensure that all players are well looked after and feel valued within the Club.,

8. Bring the crowds back by engaging a professional marketing team to handle the Clubs marketing and website work. All games to be split evenly between Kogarah and Wollongong. How about allowing fans to keep a ball that is kicked into the crowd with each ball at the game to be signed by one member of the home and visiting team.

9. Reserve an area at each of our home grounds to be occupied by red V members and the SGI brass band. Admission prices for all of these members to be heavily discounted.

10. Make a special effort to bring the St George District Asian community into the Club by recruiting some talented Asian players.
Um yeah no worries.......
We can’t recruit any players at the moment let alone marquee. You keep pushing mentors for the local juniors/drivers etc.
Ben Hunt can’t kick a ball into touch from a penalty so I guess not too many balls will be kept by the crowd.
SGI brass band????
Not sure what comment to make for point 10 to be honest.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
So there is a rumour Lawrie is going to Rabbits well that's not a problem and Saab well if he wants to be Rabbit so be it. That is not a worry we need to find a coach a good one.
Bennet says I'm staying at South's ok stay there they aren't going that good and above recruits won't do much.
Fitzgibbon is a possible with the timeframe Mary end of next year gone we get Fitzy if he wants us makes sense he is from Wollongong not really an old boy.
What about Matty Head and Talau. Have you watched how the junior teams play these guys can coach a team.
Other choice Wane from England and he will bring or knows some English Talent.
If he comes bring Graham into the fray to teach the forwards and he speaks the same language.
Bring back Coops, Nightingale and find a halves coach if necessary.
Fitzgibbon and Flanagan are available at the end of 2021. I would prefer Flanagan because he has the head coach experience but would not be surprised if the Board went for Fitzgibbon. My preferred coach would be Wayne Bennett.

Matt Head is a perfect halves coach.

BLM01

First Grade

Aitken
Lafai
Norman
Hunt
Merrin
K Sims
Frizell - already going
Graham - gone
Luke - gone

Have you not said all this at some stage before..I think...maybe in a differrent order

Seems to me for the last 6 yrs or more that all I hear is that were in a rebuilding stage and someday it'll be good. But it just keeps going on with no end in sight.Eventually someone has to be accountable for this. No other club seems to have to keep rebuilding like we do.We should have a block of flats by now with all the building weve been doing. I'd rather just stick to our juniors and see how we go. Saints of old was mostly done this way.This constant buying in of players hoping we'll do good while I watch our juniors at other clubs doing so well makes me really mad. I dont think theres a club in the comp without at least 2 Dragons juniors in it. Why not just try what we have already for once and coach them to be champions instead of looking at failed players from other clubs.Every time i see Corey Norman i think of players we have that would do a so much better job-GGRRRRRRRRR