What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 8 vs. Warriors

Big Pete

Referee
Warriors vs. Brisbane Broncos
Central Coast Stadium, Saturday 4 July 2020
Kick Off 5:30pm

TL-WAR20a.png

1. Roger Tuivasa-Sheck 2. David Fusitu'a 3. Peta Hiku 4. Patrick Herbert 5. Ken Maumalo 6. Kodi Nikorima 7. Blake Green 8. Jamayne Taunoa-Brown 9. Wayde Egan 10. Agnatius Paasi 11. Jack Murchie 12. Tohu Harris 13. Adam Blair

Interchange: 14. Chanel Harris-Tavita 15. Jack Hetherington 16. Karl Lawton 17. Josh Curran

Reserves:
18. King Vuniyayawa 20. Isaiah Papali'i 21. Adam Pompey 22. Gerard Beale

TL-BRI20a.png

1. Tesi Niu 2. Jamayne Isaako 3. Herbie Farnworth 4. Darius Boyd 5. Xavier Coates 6. Anthony Milford 7. Brodie Croft 8. Matthew Lodge 9. Issac Luke 10. Payne Haas 11. Alex Glenn 12. Tevita Pangai Junior 13. Patrick Carrigan

Interchange: 14. Tom Dearden 15. Thomas Flegler 16. Rhys Kennedy 17. Ben Te'o

Reserves: 18. Corey Oates 19. Cory Paix 20. Richard Kennar 21. Jamil Hopoate

Big Pete

Referee
It's the lowest ebb in club history, whatever premiership hopes have been thrown out the window and now it's all about this squad fighting for their careers.

Unfortunately for the Broncos there is no magic fix. This week they welcome back Patrick Carrigan and Tom Flegler but they still sorely miss David Fifita, Kotoni Staggs and Jake Turpin who are still a week or two away. They'll also be without Ofahengaue who has accepted a two week suspension for a shoulder charge on Lisone.

Corey Oates was the only player to be dropped from the disgraceful performance. Oates has been one of the most disappointing players so far in 2020, so his omission doesn't come as a surprise. However if it was up to the fans, Darius Boyd and Anthony Milford would be joining him.

It remains to be seen who would come in for Darius, but fans are dying to see young gun Tom Dearden receive an opportunity at 6. Seibold has thrown his support behind Milford for the time being, but if things don't change soon, Dearden will receive his opportunity.

They come up against a brave Warriors outfit who are coming off a demoralising 50-6 loss to Melbourne. The Warriors started well, but when Melbourne started piling on the points it became a bridge too far and they started waving the white flag. They'll be looking for redemption in this contest and even without skipper Roger Tuivasa-Sheck they still have the cattle to beat the Broncos.

I believe it's going to take a really ugly performance from the Broncos to get the win here. They'll have to be patient, use the edge of the ruck more effectively and control possession. If they don't change their approach, it doesn't matter who's coaching the Warriors, they'll lose the contest.

Big Pete

Referee
Scratch that, Oates will come into the 17 for Lodge who has succumbed to his knee injury.

Personally I would have dropped Lodge regardless, he clearly isn't a 100% with that knee and needs that break.

If you asked the average Broncos fan what 17 they'd like to see, it'd look something like this:

1. Anthony Milford
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Fanitesi Niu
4. Ilikena Vudogo
5. Xavier Coates
6. Tom Dearden
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tom Flegler
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Ben Te'o
17. Ethan Bullemor

18. Jordan Riki
19. Kobe Hetherington
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Richie Kennar

Fans want Dearden in the starting line-up, they want Boyd gone and they're sick of this hooker/back/forward/forward bench rotation. I'm not even sure if Vudogo is with the Broncos anymore, but they'd take anyone at this stage.

DeeJ

Bench
Pretty odd to only drop Oates. What example does it set to the rest of the team? I know he made some errors, but he was genuinely trying hard with every play last match. I don't think you can say that about his team mates.

blaza88z

Coach
Not convinced on Tesi under the high ball, some of those bombs last week he wasn't anywhere near them

Bronco18

Juniors
Scratch that, Oates will come into the 17 for Lodge who has succumbed to his knee injury.

Personally I would have dropped Lodge regardless, he clearly isn't a 100% with that knee and needs that break.

If you asked the average Broncos fan what 17 they'd like to see, it'd look something like this:

1. Anthony Milford
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Fanitesi Niu
4. Ilikena Vudogo
5. Xavier Coates
6. Tom Dearden
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tom Flegler
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Ben Te'o
17. Ethan Bullemor

18. Jordan Riki
19. Kobe Hetherington
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Richie Kennar

Fans want Dearden in the starting line-up, they want Boyd gone and they're sick of this hooker/back/forward/forward bench rotation. I'm not even sure if Vudogo is with the Broncos anymore, but they'd take anyone at this stage.

Looking at that lineup shows what a cluster&$@k the team is in.

If barring Glenn, our experienced players aren’t performing, we drop them and scar more rookies.

Big Pete

Referee
Pretty odd to only drop Oates. What example does it set to the rest of the team? I know he made some errors, but he was genuinely trying hard with every play last match. I don't think you can say that about his team mates.

It is odd, you'd have to think after a loss like that with the season the Broncos are having there would be a major shake-up.

Oates should have been a part of that regardless. I didn't see a lot of effort from him, he ran his mouth better than he ran the ball and left his team an extra player short at the death.

gut said:
I don't have a good feeling about this one. Just opening the thread made me fumble my coffee all over my keyboard

Surely they can't go 2-18, the pendulum has to swing at some point, it's just difficult seeing it here.

blaza88z said:
Not convinced on Tesi under the high ball, some of those bombs last week he wasn't anywhere near them

It was a major weakness in juniors as well.

He was in good company, but Niu had a shocker on the weekend and his selection backfired big time on the Broncos.

Bronco18 said:
Looking at that lineup shows what a cluster&$@k the team is in.

If barring Glenn, our experienced players aren’t performing, we drop them and scar more rookies.

It's a horrible situation for the club to be in. Fans have had enough of Oates, Darius and Milford and want to see changes regardless. I can't see too much changing until Round 10, which is when the Broncos should have everyone on deck except for Bird.

Nerd

Bench

1. Anthony Milford
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Fanitesi Niu
4. Ilikena Vudogo
5. Xavier Coates
6. Tom Dearden
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tom Flegler
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Ben Te'o
17. Ethan Bullemor

18. Jordan Riki
19. Kobe Hetherington
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Richie Kennar

I like your team above but would have Farnsworth in as centre instead of Vudogo and Isaako on the wing. Moving Milford back to fullback where he should be is perfect and so is moving Darius completely out of the side.

Nerd

Bench

1. Anthony Milford
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Fanitesi Niu
4. Ilikena Vudogo
5. Xavier Coates
6. Tom Dearden
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tom Flegler
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Ben Te'o
17. Ethan Bullemor

18. Jordan Riki
19. Kobe Hetherington
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Richie Kennar

I like your team above but would have Farnsworth in as centre instead of Vudogo and Isaako on the wing. Moving Milford back to fullback where he should be is perfect and so is moving Darius completely out of the side.

Nerd

Bench

1. Anthony Milford
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Fanitesi Niu
4. Ilikena Vudogo
5. Xavier Coates
6. Tom Dearden
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tom Flegler
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Ben Te'o
17. Ethan Bullemor

18. Jordan Riki
19. Kobe Hetherington
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Richie Kennar

Nerd

Bench

1. Anthony Milford
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Fanitesi Niu
4. Ilikena Vudogo
5. Xavier Coates
6. Tom Dearden
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tom Flegler
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Ben Te'o
17. Ethan Bullemor

18. Jordan Riki
19. Kobe Hetherington
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Richie Kennar

League guru

Juniors

Why does everyone think Milford is a fullback. Your more exposed at 1 then you are at 6. He simply doesn't even put in, bit hard to dump it off to someone else from fullback.

Nerd

Bench

1. Anthony Milford
2. Herbie Farnworth
3. Fanitesi Niu
4. Ilikena Vudogo
5. Xavier Coates
6. Tom Dearden
7. Brodie Croft
8. Tom Flegler
9. Issac Luke
10. Payne Haas
11. Alex Glenn
12. Tevita Pangai Jr
13. Patrick Carrigan

14. Cory Paix
15. Rhys Kennedy
16. Ben Te'o
17. Ethan Bullemor

18. Jordan Riki
19. Kobe Hetherington
20. Jamayne Isaako
21. Richie Kennar

Double

Big Pete

Referee

As long as Boyd is out of the team, the fans are happy. The fans don't exactly hold Isaako in high regard either, which is why I've named Vudogo.

League Guru said:
Why does everyone think Milford is a fullback. Your more exposed at 1 then you are at 6. He simply doesn't even put in, bit hard to dump it off to someone else from fullback.

Because that's where he made a name for himself and it's the only way to fit both him, Dearden and Croft into the 13.

Mind you fans would just be happy to see him held accountable and dropped altogether.

Personally I believe he's a 6 and if the Broncos are going to compete they need to persevere with him. It doesn't help the two players outside of him have been poor.

League guru

Juniors
So originally Dearden was going to be the half. Then they made a knee jerk reaction and signed Croft. Bellamy couldn't turn Croft into a quality half back and ran out of patience with him, so Siebold has no chance.

Big Pete

Referee
So originally Dearden was going to be the half. Then they made a knee jerk reaction and signed Croft. Bellamy couldn't turn Croft into a quality half back and ran out of patience with him, so Siebold has no chance.

It's more complicated than that.

The original plan was for Kodi Nikorima to spend 2019 as the halfback. However, since both he and Seibold are managed by Moses, Moses knew that Seibs didn't view Kodi as a halfback long term. So Moses got one of his other clients, Stephen Kearney, to sign him. Without a halfback, the Broncos threw Dearden into the deep end where he performed as well as you could expect an 18 year old to perform.

The Broncos still needed an experienced halfback to cut Dearden some slack and give him an opportunity to ply his trade in the ISC. Unfortunately Covid-19 has completely ruined that and the Broncos find themselves in this position where one of the most talented players on the roster is struggling for any opportunities.

With that said, I get the impression that Seibold would rather persevere with a 6. Dearden 7. Croft halves combination on the basis that Milford isn't in the squad's leadership group. I could easily see Milford going to the Gold Coast in 2022.

League guru

Juniors
The original plan was for Kodi Nikorima to spend 2019 as the halfback. However, since both he and Seibold are managed by Moses, Moses knew that Seibs didn't view Kodi as a halfback long term. So Moses got one of his other clients, Stephen Kearney, to sign him. Without a halfback, the Broncos threw Dearden into the deep end where he performed as well as you could expect an 18 year old to perform.

The Broncos still needed an experienced halfback to cut Dearden some slack and give him an opportunity to ply his trade in the ISC. Unfortunately Covid-19 has completely ruined that and the Broncos find themselves in this position where one of the most talented players on the roster is struggling for any opportunities.

With that said, I get the impression that Seibold would rather persevere with a 6. Dearden 7. Croft halves combination on the basis that Milford isn't in the squad's leadership group. I could easily see Milford going to the Gold Coast in 2022.[/QUOTE]

Your right about the Intrust Cup. It is a great grade to gain experience in. Too much is expected of young players who have never played above schoolboy level. I don't think coaches pay enough attention to some of the older talent.
Fogarty is a good example, he is doing a fair job of directing the coast around where a few of his high priced mates failed. I am sure there must be another Shane Perry running around somewhere for the Bronks.

Nerd

Bench
Depressing yet not unexpected. It's pretty obvious that Darius Boyd is poison in this team. Both Milford and then Glenn both with the opportunity to pass to Boyd either cut him out or went back into the ruck.

Besides the never ending mistakes the other problem in our defence is that all the young players go high and rarely go low when tackling allowing the attacking player to go 3 to 5 steps past the initial contact. Even Dearden was going high on the Kiwi forwards and with someone his size that's just stupid.

If someone in management is protecting Boyd Siebold has to give them either the it's him or me ultimatum if it's Siebold keeping him in the team he either has to drop him or step aside himself.

Latest posts