What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

News Coronavirus and NRL

Spot On

Coach
The 1930's called and were wondering when you'd come back?

Do you blokes jump on every social media movement and cry about life being unfair and too tough as well.

Anti vaxers?

Pack the Warriors up, send them home and fast track Brissy 2 if its all too hard.

Keep plucking your eyebrows girls.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Do you blokes jump on every social media movement and cry about life being unfair and too tough as well.

Anti vaxers?

Pack the Warriors up, send them home and fast track Brissy 2 if its all too hard.

Keep plucking your eyebrows girls.
All this because we agree it'd be hard being away from family? Take a pill sweetheart, it's ok.

Article on NRL.com about Warriors looking for loan players because Fusitua, Maumalo & Passi will go back to NZ if their families aren't able to join them soon.

How do loans work exactly? I imagine they'd have to be locked in for a certain amount of time to stop a club recalling the player at the drop of a hat.

Surely some clubs, particularly those destined for finals will be interested in offering their fringe players to get them somewhat match fit for the end of the year should they be needed in finals.

There is not really a lot of information available publicly. The NZ Herald had an article when the Warriors were granted the exemption to sign loan players, and this is the pertinent bit of the article -

NRL's head of football Graham Annesley said the Warriors were a unique case deserving of an exemption.

"Everyone appreciates the extreme lengths the Warriors have gone to, to try and bring this competition back to life," Annesley said.

George noted that the exemption contains specific guidelines – their loan signings have to be restricted to where their injury problems lie, which is in the middle of the park – and said the club had yet to speak to any potential loanees.

However based on what happened with Poasa Faamausili, as the Roosters loaned him to the Warriors for a month and were about to extend that loan further prior to the injuries to Radley and Verrills, i dare say they include provisions for the originating club to recall the loanee if required (as Faamausili was recalled to us).

Hope that is of some help.

jim_57

Staff member
There is not really a lot of information available publicly. The NZ Herald had an article when the Warriors were granted the exemption to sign loan players, and this is the pertinent bit of the article -

However based on what happened with Poasa Faamausili, as the Roosters loaned him to the Warriors for a month and were about to extend that loan further prior to the injuries to Radley and Verrills, i dare say they include provisions for the originating club to recall the loanee if required (as Faamausili was recalled to us).

Hope that is of some help.

Thanks.

Yeh I'd imagine a club would have to agree to a timeframe then give notice to the player before teams are named at the lastest.

Jamberoo

Juniors
Storm won’t be back in Melbourne for a while, possibly the rest of the season. The AFL is relocating all Melbourne clubs on Monday - four to Gold Coast, two to Sunshine Coast (playing @ Gabba), four to Sydney (one of those possibly to Wollongong) with games at SCG and Showgrounds.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Storm won’t be back in Melbourne for a while, possibly the rest of the season. The AFL is relocating all Melbourne clubs on Monday - four to Gold Coast, two to Sunshine Coast (playing @ Gabba), four to Sydney (one of those possibly to Wollongong) with games at SCG and Showgrounds.

I cant see it being sustainable beyond 6 weeks. Players are going to get stir crazy and miss their families, performances are going to be all over the place and the integrity of the comp is going to be shot. IF there is a outbreak in Sydney like Melbourne both codes are fricked.

AJB1102

First Grade

Great! Lets ship hundreds from the rona capital to clean parts of the country. What could possibly go wrong?

azza29

Juniors
Typically the NRL looks like the basket case compared to the AFL machine but not this year. Have to appreciate how much better planned and managed the league season has been, aside from one postponed match and the Storm heading up to QLD everything has pretty much gone to plan. AFL season is a mess, I know they were aiming for flexibility but the clubs must be struggling with these constant changes and only knowing the fixture two weeks out.

azza29

Juniors
Typically the NRL looks like the basket case compared to the AFL machine but not this year. Have to appreciate how much better managed the league season has been, aside from one postponed match and the Storm heading up to QLD everything has pretty much gone to plan. AFL season is a mess, I know they were aiming for flexibility but the clubs must be struggling with the c

King hit

Coach
Typically the NRL looks like the basket case compared to the AFL machine but not this year. Have to appreciate how much better managed the league season has been, aside from one postponed match and the Storm heading up to QLD everything has pretty much gone to plan. AFL season is a mess, I know they were aiming for flexibility but the clubs must be struggling with the c
V’landys has been nothing short of outstanding. Everything he has set out to achieve he has done it. Plus he has completely shaken the AFL and left eggs on their faces wins even more points from me.

jim_57

Staff member
Great! Lets ship hundreds from the rona capital to clean parts of the country. What could possibly go wrong?

Agreed, they should have at least sent them to WA or SA the areas that actually like AFL, let them play the risk/reward game with their own seagull enthusiasts.

Edit: Just read that the SA and WA teams are based in Queensland already.

The governments should have given them a hard no anyway. If this was NSW that got hit and the NRL tried to move clubs to Vic, SA, WA do we think for a second they'd allow it?

Last edited:

seanoff

Juniors
Agreed, they should have at least sent them to WA or SA the areas that actually like AFL, let them play the risk/reward game with their own seagull enthusiasts.

Edit: Just read that the SA and WA teams are based in Queensland already.

The governments should have given them a hard no anyway. If this was NSW that got hit and the NRL tried to move clubs to Vic, SA, WA do we think for a second they'd allow it?

SA aren’t allowing anyone in. That’s why there is no AFL hub there. WA are getting 2 high profile + their own going home and 2 in Sydney.

a lot of this is luck. If nsw was having a Victoria style outbreak the NRL will be having the same problem. The old adage rings true “it’s often better to be lucky than good”.

Pommy

Coach

I wouldn’t be too congratulatory yet, if this outbreak spreads from Victoria up here we will be in the same position. The disadvantage we have is we have less NRL states to take some refugees.

Spot On

Coach
V’landys has been nothing short of outstanding. Everything he has set out to achieve he has done it. Plus he has completely shaken the AFL and left eggs on their faces wins even more points from me.

... but, but, but he is just like Trump. You know, Trump 101. Trumpesque. A dictator.

Blah, blah, blah...

He has absolutely pissed the AFL and their media machine right off and forced them to copy what he is doing. Got the jump on them and been three steps ahead of them in all areas.

Last edited: