What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Match Discussion: Round 8 vs Sea Eagles @ Lottoland

Who will win? Round 8: Sea Eagles v Knights

• Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles 1-12

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Draw after Golden Point

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old dog

Juniors
Think Pearce needs to manage the team more rather than do it all, he most of all should see how the game is unfolding, what the score is, why it’s happening and if needed change it, it’s no surprise we played better in second half, assume coach pointed out what was needed. We would be best team if played 20 min quarters.
Pearce is a great player but with our current roster we ain’t winning the comp, semi maybe but not in the finals.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Mitchell Pearce on GF day 2013, similar stats to Cronk with a broken shoulder. Old Mitch isnt a big game player. No matter how many buddies he has in the media or my red and blue glasses will make me think otherwise unless overnight he becomes a different person.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2013/10/07/nrl-grand-final-player-ratings/
7. Mitchell Pearce

Helped the Roosters control field position with a solid performance, albeit one in which he rarely threatened in attack. 7.

This is what we get from Pearce , overall he is a 7/10 occupying that second tier level playmaker. Not being critical thats just what he is. He's a premium half just not one I believe has the steel to get us a Premiership.....at least not without another good half on the field.

And who can blame the fella, must be terrifying knowing that any mistake you may make is going to create headlines for a week or more. They crucified the bloke for acting an idiot on the piss with a puppy, ya think he'd deep fried the thing and ate it with sweet and sour sauce the way the media carried on. ....I think there's plenty of mental scarring with Pearce.

Last edited:

Spot On

Coach
Cherry kicking a smidgen under 75% of the time and an obvious target at the end of Manly's sets but the Manly attitude is that he is the best kicker of the footy (plus halfback, organiser and highest paid player) so he should be kicking.

Pearce at 57% of kicks (halfback, organiser, highest paid player still?) and we need to offload that responsibilty somewhat.

Obi has had enough already.

DCE will be under all sorts of pressure from us this week!

Yosh

Coach
Good to see a problem area addressed by Obi.

Isn't it common sense to have Pearce on right of ruck and Ponga on left every 5th tackle? Keep the opposition guessing which way we will kick. Don't see it enough.

Pearce needs to keep his game simple, keep defending hard, kick long and run the ball more.

Old dog

Juniors
Good to see a problem area addressed by Obi.

Isn't it common sense to have Pearce on right of ruck and Ponga on left every 5th tackle? Keep the opposition guessing which way we will kick. Don't see it enough.

Pearce needs to keep his game simple, keep defending hard, kick long and run the ball more.
It is common sense that shouldn’t have required the coach to implement the players should have reacted to take the pressure of one kicker.

I'm far from confident looking at teams like Parra and Penrith play now. Yeah, I know we drew with Penrith. They are in another class at this stage and teams we'd expect to by up the top are coming into form. Excluding Brisbane of course.
A positive is that when we've won O'Brien has seen it as 'We've been winning but we need work' whereas Brown would have seen it 'we need work but we've been winning'.
There's recognition we have a long way to go.
Prove my doubts wrong about today, please.

mozza91

Coach
Ugly as all f**k but a solid, gritty win nonetheless.

Manly had the rub of the green all day so they don’t have too much to whinge about.

Defence won it. Our kicking game was better. We mixed it up more and Pearce had a good short kick.
Angles and runs around the edge was better. Still heaps to work on.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Pearce’s kicking game was much better. Ugly win but I’ll take it.

Does anyone know why Ponga was constantly on the right side of the ruck? Is it something Obi wants from him because I felt if he went to his preferred left side and linked up with Best we would have won that a bit more easily.

Knight76

Juniors
If Pearce isn't going to be the player we look to, to set up tries and do the creative work, he needs to be partnered with a 5/8 that can.

Do we have that set up at the moment?

Ponga can play 5/8 but he is better at the back and can chime in with attacks from 5/8 but it appears to be blunting his effectiveness. He was better and more dangerous when he was attacking the left edge. The team looked much more dangerous also.

Mann, is a good ball runner and "looks" dangerous, but his runs are rarely actually dangerous. He has a minimal ball playing game. It's fine to have a 5/8 like that paired with a dominant halfback but we don't have that luxury.

Zoidberg

First Grade
Defence has won us games this year and (even though we are something like 4th best) our attack hasn’t really clicked in some games.
Happy to get the win being down on troops for most of the game again.

Knight Vision

First Grade
well it looks like we are still out of form, or more like we are still having teething issues with all our new players and coaching. We'll get there .

On the surface though our attack looks flat and at stages void of ideas. running across field with a pass back on the inside without any apparent plan ( Ponga to Sione ) . So many wasted tackles....

Lost the stream for the end of the game so switch to 2GB , and the commentators on last play sounded as though Many were robbed,.....WTF ? Watched it on FOX and there's nothing in it....Best pushes him at the same time he kicks? The refs got it right.... f**k the media shits me sometimes.

Anyway we are 4th boys !! f**king 4th ......after years of misery it's safe to say we have turned a corner .

Watson and Barny to come back yet and we should only get better.