What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
So far this season my observation in regards to Parra and all the other teams is that we have the best overall roster including better then the Storm and the Roosters. My only issue with our team and therefore our greatest obstacle to winning the title(barring injury) is our mental toughness.

I still don't think that we are up to the standard of the Storm or the Roosters in this vital part of our game. Sure we have made great strides this season and are very close to them, but we still don't have what they have mentally and I'm not sure if we can get there or not.

Why? Well the Roosters in particular, but it also applies to the Storm to almost the same degree, have a great balance of youth and experience and virtually all their players have been there, done that and most have representative honours. We on the other hand have Jennings and Ferguson and to a lessor extent Matterson due to his stint with the Rooster and RCG with some high level rep honours. The Storm and the Roosters have a huge advantage when the pressure cooker whistle is screaming. Up until now we haven't shown that we can compete with either of these two mentally hardened teams.

We should of won that game against the Chooks. They were there to be taken and skewed, but at the most crucial time of the game when each and every player would have been drilled that in this scenario they would come at us like a lion freed from its chains, we totally melted. Again not because they are player wise a better team the us, but mentally they rose to the occasion while we idled. We need to fix this or perish when it counts.

The Chooks didn't go up a gear as such, but more of the same brutal intensity that they always show when a team gets one up on them. The trick is don't fear the Reaper and go with them. Meet them at that same tempo and blunt that excitement and enthusiasm. I thought that we would do that while Moses was taking the goal and the camera was panning across our players.

But as soon as we gave them the ball back from the very first tackle we weren't in it. Not because they were supermen, but because mentally we switched off from the clear sharp focus we had for the first 67 minuets of the game. Every tackle was a fail for us. We gave away the ruck and the line speed not because these guys are superior athletes or have greater stamina, but because we lost our way mentally and their roll then created a slight panic from us, which they then picked up on and so off to the the races they went and we were gone. Ultimately regressing to the numskull decisions we are all so familiar with from previous season that we would all rather forget.

But to my original point, I believe that when we have all our troupes available again that we have the best roster at this point in the competition. After watching the Roosters closely this season, I don't feel that they are unbeatable at all. They are a very good team, that's for sure, but they are hardly a brilliant team of superstars. They are just settled in very well, they all know their game and what their roll is and they are very well coached, obviously.

Keary is the key. As good as their team is it's all about Cleary. If you limit him, with a team as good as ours, you basically win the game. We have the artillery and strike power all over the park. The trick is don't give him room and most importantly stay strong mentally for the entire 80 minuets of the game.

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
You meant Keary, right, Rammy?

But I do agree that we don't have the experience that the Roosters do, and it limited our ability to come back in that game.

But I'm sure we will learn a lot from that loss; take our game against the Raiders, for example.

While we did concede 12 points in 3 minutes to force the game into Golden Point, we held our nerve in Golden Point, and were clearly the better team.

This Eels team is tough, skilful, fit, and resilient- and imo, they're getting better every week.

I'm not saying we can beat the Roosters the next time we meet - but I'm damn sure we can make it a contest.

Gronk

Staff member

But I do agree that we don't have the experience that the Roosters do, and it limited our ability to come back in that game.

But I'm sure we will learn a lot from that loss; take our game against the Raiders, for example.

While we did concede 12 points in 3 minutes to force the game into Golden Point, we held our nerve in Golden Point, and were clearly the better team.

This Eels team is tough, skilful, fit, and resilient- and imo, they're getting better every week.

I'm not saying we can beat the Roosters the next time we meet - but I'm damn sure we can make it a contest.

Yes I'm sure he means Keary. Keary is a weapon. Cleary is Jeff Robson.

TheRam

Coach

Yes mate, sorry. Fixed. Cheers mate.

TheRam

Coach
Yes I'm sure he means Keary. Keary is a weapon. Cleary is Jeff Robson.

Yes I meant Keary, but I don't think Cleary is Robson. Cleary is the Iceman and is getting better all the time. Remember he is only 22 years old. He has still got 3 or 4 years of learning and maturing his game into a complete weapon. He has a German no nonsense, must get the job done no matter what, type of attitude.

Just because he doesn't have the fancy trick shots doesn't mean he is a Robson type of player. He will be more in the class of a Cronk by the time he is the finished product.

Eelementary

Post Whore
But is he a plodder?

I mean, he was good enough to play regular First Grade for a few seasons so far, and even played Origin...

But I just don't see the appeal on him.

He defends well, and is a great goal-kicker - but offers little ball in hand, imo.

I would say that Dylan Brown defends just as well (if not better), but is a way more complete player.

Dylan Brown is such an exciting prospect - not just for the Eels, but for the NRL.

84 Baby

Referee
Regular season barring injuries we should be competitive at minimum against all teams. Last weeks game was a great show of professionalism. We didn’t blow Cows off park with Parraball, everyone just relentlessly went about doing their role.
Finals are sometimes a different kettle though. For some it can require experience, but really BIG games are still just regular games. It’s just the good stuff you can do can be amplified. The bad stuff is only amplified if you absolutely can’t recover (Hunt spilling the kick off) or if refuse to recover (Carige). Players who fail to recognise that are always the bridesmaids

Gazzamatta

Coach
Green would be great but Id be surprised if he thought he was anything other than a starter because he is. Additionally at what cost to our culture would his signing effect? Field did well but he'd be punted. Taka also would not be an option other than for injury. We have a very happy group at the moment. Would Greens inclusion potentially harm that?

Gronk

Staff member
Yes I meant Keary, but I don't think Cleary is Robson. Cleary is the Iceman and is getting better all the time. Remember he is only 22 years old. He has still got 3 or 4 years of learning and maturing his game into a complete weapon. He has a German no nonsense, must get the job done no matter what, type of attitude.

Just because he doesn't have the fancy trick shots doesn't mean he is a Robson type of player. He will be more in the class of a Cronk by the time he is the finished product.

I don't doubt that he is a solid link man and kicks well and probably better than Jeff Robson. However the 6 in his team is the creative one.

He is over-rated and is only the NSW incumbent (actually Pearce is) because there was nobody better at the time..

He is the Stephen Bradbury of the NRL and should buy a lottery ticket every day.

FancyThankfulDrafthorse-max-1mb.gif

natheel

Coach
I’d be happy with Green. He would come cheap as the remainder of the season would t have much left on this seasons contract anyway.
Plus I don’t trust Field, Rankin, Takairangi and Smith to do a job against the top sides of Moses was to go down long term. Green would take a lot of pressure off Brown and with our pack going the way they are I do think he’d be a good Option. Also off the bench he can give Reed a valuable 10-15 min rest.

84 Baby

Referee
I mean, he was good enough to play regular First Grade for a few seasons so far, and even played Origin...

He defends well, and is a great goal-kicker - but offers little ball in hand, imo.

I would say that Dylan Brown defends just as well (if not better), but is a way more complete player.

Dylan Brown is such an exciting prospect - not just for the Eels, but for the NRL.
Cleary is a very very poor mans Cronk. He obviously can direct a team around, he just doesn’t have the skills to capitalise other than being competitive and slightly above average strength.

84 Baby

Referee
Green would be great but Id be surprised if he thought he was anything other than a starter because he is. Additionally at what cost to our culture would his signing effect? Field did well but he'd be punted. Taka also would not be an option other than for injury. We have a very happy group at the moment. Would Greens inclusion potentially harm that?
I doubt signing him would hurt more than the plethora of unsigned players. I think if we signed Green it’d be on a rental basically. He covers Moses being out (would that even be that many games now?) that can be an audition for other competitive teams and afterwards he’d sit as Mahoney cover each game and be a chance of premiership. He wouldn’t be here after end of season

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

On cleary's defence I heard Alanah Ferguson on the Sunday Footy Show say he's the best defensive half in the game. Had a quick look at only 5 players and all 5 had a better tackling efficiency than cleary this year. Dylan Brown (absolutely smashed him there was like a 15% difference), Moses, Wighton, George Williams and Blake Green all had better tackling efficiency than cleary. I'm sure there's worse defending halves out there but the defensive aspect of his game is massively overrated, much like the rest of his game.

Latest posts