What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demise of Qld Clubs

jim_57

Staff member
Those 2 are the big ones that would have made it likely that Broncos would have won multiple premierships over the last 5 or 10 years and still be a powerhouse now. There have also been several others like Folau and Chambers. Probably Munster would have been a Bronco.
I am just looking forward to the Storm going through a bad stretch for an extended period of time.

Folau played 2 seasons at the Storm then went to the Broncos. Chambers played most of his games for Melbourne after coming back from the Reds, Broncos could have made him an offer then. Munster wasn't ever a 'Brisbane' junior, the days of Broncos getting the pick of all QLD juniors are gone.

Broncos would have had their shot at all these players, if they couldn't get any of them over the line I don't feel sorry for them. They had their years of getting the pick of Queensland players and it netted them 6 premierships in less than 20 years, nobody pitties them because that ended.

Maybe that was Seibold's great vision that got him the 5 year contract..
Step 1: Blame the Storm
Step 2: ?
Step 3: Premierships

Perth Red

Post Whore
You do realise the only reason your club wins is because the refs turn a blind eye to your blatant cheating in the ruck, right?

Scam Smith was never going to sign for any other club as he wouldn't get away with his grubby acts any where else.

Bellamy knows he cannot replicate what he's done at Melbourne with any other club because the NRL won't let him cheat the system anywhere else. Having a successful NRL team in the home of fumbleball was more important than things like fairness and player safety. Bellamy knows it and has used it to his advantage. The great 'Queenslanders' he has recruited were mostly thugs and scumbags like Slater, Smith and Munster. The sort of people who will break any rule and feign any injury to get the refs to give an advantage to the team who have to win to have any chance of being relevant in fumbleball land.

When the Donkeys offered Bellamy that massive deal he looked like a man who wanted to say yes, but couldn't because he knew it would do to him what it has done to Seibold. His failure as NSW coach proved he is not as good as people make out.

Bless :)

Perth Red

Post Whore
It’s inevitable it will happen when Smith and Bellamy leave. They are the heart and soul of the Storm. Melbourne won a premiership in their 2nd year then dropped of soon after and rose again. It’s the cycle of sport except for the All Blacks.

Losing both wingers next year will hurt as well. On the plus side a spine of

Papa - 22
Munster - 26
Hughes - 26
Grant - 22

Have got plenty of years of quality football ahead of them.

T-Boon

Coach
Folau played 2 seasons at the Storm then went to the Broncos. Chambers played most of his games for Melbourne after coming back from the Reds, Broncos could have made him an offer then. Munster wasn't ever a 'Brisbane' junior, the days of Broncos getting the pick of all QLD juniors are gone.

Broncos would have had their shot at all these players, if they couldn't get any of them over the line I don't feel sorry for them. They had their years of getting the pick of Queensland players and it netted them 6 premierships in less than 20 years, nobody pitties them because that ended.

Look I agree but the question was asked as to why the Broncos suck at the moment. I answered that its because of the Storm dominance of players they would have gotten. They have fallen behind and had it too easy too long. A second Brisbane team is essential.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Look I agree but the question was asked as to why the Broncos suck at the moment. I answered that its because of the Storm dominance of players they would have gotten. They have fallen behind and had it too easy too long. A second Brisbane team is essential.

So Broncos have even less access to players?
Broncos problems are not due to the Storms ability to attract the best 16 year Brisbane kids. (Storm only have 3 Brisbane born players in their starting squad this year). Their problems run much deeper than that.

Last edited:

T-Boon

Coach
So Broncos have even less access to players?
Broncos problems are not due to the Storms ability to attract the best 16 year Brisbane kids. They run much deeper than that.

yes, a local rivalry/competitor will motivate them.

DeeJ

Bench
In my opinion it's an unwillingness to go into the open market and reliance on 'local' juniors who have not performed.

When these clubs do buy outside their area, it is often a buy based on hype and way overpaid, e.g. Jack Bird, Jarryd Hayne to to some degree Jordan Mcclean.

If you want further proof that QLD players are currently behind, look at the Origin team. There is a lack of quality and options in the second row and centres and only 1 genuine super start (Munster).

BunniesMan

Immortal
It is ridiculous to blame the Storm for the Broncos failings. Broncos recruitment has been woeful for years if an interstate team keeps beating to top talent year in and year out. The Broncos are in Brisbane, they have the most resources in the area. They should have eyes on every talented kid and they should have the judgment skills to pick the right ones.

The success of the Storm only proves how terribly the Broncos have been run for a generation.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
In my opinion it's an unwillingness to go into the open market and reliance on 'local' juniors who have not performed.

When these clubs do buy outside their area, it is often a buy based on hype and way overpaid, e.g. Jack Bird, Jarryd Hayne to to some degree Jordan Mcclean.

If you want further proof that QLD players are currently behind, look at the Origin team. There is a lack of quality and options in the second row and centres and only 1 genuine super start (Munster).

Two of the Cowboys bigger recent signings:

Val Holmes: He and his wife are both from Townsville (and he is Michael Morgan's brother in law)
Jordan McLean: His wife is from North Queensland (Mareeba I believe).

King hit

Coach

Papa - 22
Munster - 26
Hughes - 26
Grant - 22

Yes they do have potential but they don’t compare to what has been before them. You’ve left out Brandon Smith who is exceptional player. It reminds me exactly of the Australian cricket team when that golden generation retired at the same time. There were loads of expectation placed on the next generation that they would continue Australia’s domination but it didn’t happen and they went through a big transitional phase, like what the Maroons are experiencing now.

As long as either Smith or Bellamy are at the Storm they will remain strong. But if Smith retired right now that would hit them beyond extreme.

Cyril Connell was their talent scout from 88 until his death, wasn't he?

Their new scouts are dopes who don't have a clue.

Papa - 22
Munster - 26
Hughes - 26
Grant - 22

Hopefully Grant signs long-term with the Tigers. It will be justice for poaching JAC from the Tigers.

Melbourne Storm are parasites, poaching Hughes and Brandon Smith from the Cowboys.

shear_joy9

Coach
Two of the Cowboys bigger recent signings:

Val Holmes: He and his wife are both from Townsville (and he is Michael Morgan's brother in law)
Jordan McLean: His wife is from North Queensland (Mareeba I believe).

It's not a good sign when a club has to pay overs to get players that have close ties to the area.

The Holmes contract is incredibly poor and reeked of desperation. All reports were that the Cowboys was the only team he wanted to play for and they still handed over $1mill a year without batting an eye

Yes they do have potential but they don’t compare to what has been before them. You’ve left out Brandon Smith who is exceptional player. It reminds me exactly of the Australian cricket team when that golden generation retired at the same time. There were loads of expectation placed on the next generation that they would continue Australia’s domination but it didn’t happen and they went through a big transitional phase, like what the Maroons are experiencing now.

As long as either Smith or Bellamy are at the Storm they will remain strong. But if Smith retired right now that would hit them beyond extreme.
Smith has never been sidelined for an extended time with injury. Slater was healthy throughout the bulk of his career. Thurston was injured on numerous occasions and so was Matty Bowen. Cowboys never had the good luck that the Melbourne Cheats rely on. Since 2016 the Cowboys have had a massive casualty ward.

Broncos have been unlucky with injuries too.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Hopefully Grant signs long-term with the Tigers. It will be justice for poaching JAC from the Tigers.

Melbourne Storm are parasites, poaching Hughes and Brandon Smith from the Cowboys.

Hah shows the derpness of Queensland clubs. Cowboys had Smith in Jnr squd for two years and let Storm sign him and develop him into a super star (even though he cant actually play where he is best). Hughes played for Roosters, Titans and Cowboys at jnrs, only Melbourne had the ability to make him a consistent starting scrum half. Storms development program is second to none.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yes they do have potential but they don’t compare to what has been before them. .

no doubt, a spine trio like Cronk, Slater and Smith only come around once every lifetime, if you're lucky. But plenty of talent in those youngsters to see Storm stay off the bottom for next few years at least.

Re Bellamy, I wouldn't be surprised if he hands over reigns to an assistant or ex assistant after next year and stays on in some squad management capacity.