What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

How to re-build the Dragons

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
1. The whole structure needs to be looked at. So I'd say to first re-structure St George Illawarra Football Club into an entity that is owned by St George Football Club and WIN Corp/Gordons with the current share-holding remaining the same but with a club membership that is able to elect members to 50% of Board positions.

2. The proposal is for the Board to be split into two classes of membership, the executive Board members (50% of the Board members) and general Board members (50% of Board members.

3. Both WIN/Gordons and St George Football Club would appoint their delegates to the executive positions of the Board once a year and the paid up members of the Club would elect members to the general positions of the Board once a year.

4. As soon as possible the Board should declare all management positions vacant and progressively recruit people to those positions. Mary and Millward should be the first to go.

5. For the NRL squad, recruit 3 marquee players to fill the positions of fullback, left centre and backrow forward. Also, recruit 3 additional first-grade players, 2 props and a lock (if De Belin is unavailable). Fill all other positions with bright young juniors who can understand that loyalty to the big red V and their performance on the field each week are key criteria for selection in first grade. Overall good behaviour is also a key contract criteria.

6. Off-load or let go the follwing players;
Aitken
Lafai
Norman
Hunt
Merrin
K Sims
Saab - if he still wants out at season's end but with compensation from his new Club.
Frizell - already going
Graham - gone
Luke - gone

7. Engage mentors to work with each of our bright young juniors e.g. Gasnier to work with Lomax and ensure that all players are well looked after and feel valued within the Club.,

8. Bring the crowds back by engaging a professional marketing team to handle the Clubs marketing and website work. All games to be split evenly between Kogarah and Wollongong. How about allowing fans to keep a ball that is kicked into the crowd with each ball at the game to be signed by one member of the home and visiting team.

9. Reserve an area at each of our home grounds to be occupied by red V members and the SGI brass band. Admission prices for all of these members to be heavily discounted.

10. Make a special effort to bring the St George District Asian community into the Club by recruiting some talented Asian players.

Like your Board restructure proposal possm- but No 10??? Through my work, I deal with a reasonable number of young Asian people and their focus is on meeting their parents' expectations to become doctors not RL players.

_Johnsy

Referee
The first and most crucial step is punt anyone that is willing to accept mediocrity in any way shape or form. The standard you walk past & ignore is the standard you condone. There have obviously been too many people (from front office to players) in every section of our club who have been walking around blinded for too many years. It just isn’t good enough.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Seems to me for the last 6 yrs or more that all I hear is that were in a rebuilding stage and someday it'll be good. But it just keeps going on with no end in sight.Eventually someone has to be accountable for this. No other club seems to have to keep rebuilding like we do.We should have a block of flats by now with all the building weve been doing. I'd rather just stick to our juniors and see how we go. Saints of old was mostly done this way.This constant buying in of players hoping we'll do good while I watch our juniors at other clubs doing so well makes me really mad. I dont think theres a club in the comp without at least 2 Dragons juniors in it. Why not just try what we have already for once and coach them to be champions instead of looking at failed players from other clubs.Every time i see Corey Norman i think of players we have that would do a so much better job-GGRRRRRRRRR

You've touched on a few of the issues that I constantly raise as well
The Board is unaccountable for its actions- no one pays for its mistakes-Gordon Tallis referred to the St George powerbrokers as dinosaurs over 20 years ago and not much has changed.

Possm has suggested how a revised Board could be at least partially elected by members and I think that's a must for this club if it wants to really engage with its members and be part of the 21st century. At the moment, I feel like just marching with other members and burning our membership cards in protest.

Hopefully with a new Board we can move on from the old boys mentality, nepotism and acceptance of mediocrity which dominates Board thinking atm and which keeps idiots like Mary in a job. If Mary had been at the Roosters, (well- he wouldn't have been appointed in the first place), but if he had, he would have been long gone for not finishing top 4 over his six year tenure.

possm

Coach
Like your Board restructure proposal possm- but No 10??? Through my work, I deal with a reasonable number of young Asian people and their focus is on meeting their parents' expectations to become doctors not RL players.
Yes, so the way to handle this is to get them interested from a recreation sport or exercise sales pitch and then if they excel, look at it as a part-time thing and then if they show first-grade potential, the dollars will sway them.

Many juniors undertake professional studies.

SnowDragon

Juniors
Very interesting to read the comments. Focus is more around the board than elsewhere. I guess the thought is that the rot runs deep, and we need a full rebuild to make it happen.

anyone have a list of the board members?
Contact details?

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Very interesting to read the comments. Focus is more around the board than elsewhere. I guess the thought is that the rot runs deep, and we need a full rebuild to make it happen.

anyone have a list of the board members?
Contact details?

You sound like a dangerous subversive- the information you seek is only released on a need to know basis- my guess is that the Board will decide you don't have a need to know.

redandwhite4evr

Juniors
Yes, so the way to handle this is to get them interested from a recreation sport or exercise sales pitch and then if they excel, look at it as a part-time thing and then if they show first-grade potential, the dollars will sway them.

Many juniors undertake professional studies.

Not as simple as that Possm- it seems to be a cultural thing- Rugby was introduced into China many years ago and the massive PRC Army apparently plays the game but it hasn't taken root among the general population- on the other hand, Japan has just hosted the Rugby World Cup and the game there seems to be on the rise - although most of the local elite players seem to be backs or hookers due to their smaller statures.

As we attract far more people from China (students etc) than Japan, the problem seems to be an intractable one.

possm

Coach
Not as simple as that Possm- it seems to be a cultural thing- Rugby was introduced into China many years ago and the massive PRC Army apparently plays the game but it hasn't taken root among the general population- on the other hand, Japan has just hosted the Rugby World Cup and the game there seems to be on the rise - although most of the local elite players seem to be backs or hookers due to their smaller statures.

As we attract far more people from China (students etc) than Japan, the problem seems to be an intractable one.
My points were directed towards the St George District and rugby league. Teenagers with an Asian background are more likely to join their school mates playing rugby league, especially if encouraged by Club officials and players.

BLM01

First Grade
My points were directed towards the St George District and rugby league. Teenagers with an Asian background are more likely to join their school mates playing rugby league, especially if encouraged by Club officials and players.
Yeh right..that is why you see so many Asian background kids in Juniors...not
they are not interested to any degree you are wishing for...and probably never will be as numbers are dwindling in male kids playing RL....people are diversifying into all sports and the NRL have a mammoth task if they ever can to pull kids back into it to where it was 10-15 years ago
Women participation in RL is growing but slowly and not sure they wil reach the heights they yearn for....as women are also moving fast into other prior male dominated sports like soccer, MMA, rock climbing, boxing, AFL, cricket etc

Last edited:

Old Timer

Coach
A good start would be to measure off our existing forwards roster in comparison to Collins & Tupouniua the 2 bench players from the chooks.

We just plod along with oompa loompas and the Roosters crow loudly as there chicks show everything we actually desire from our starting side let alone the bench.

We need to recognise what successful teams do re blooding & integrating young talent.

possm

Coach
A good start would be to measure off our existing forwards roster in comparison to Collins & Tupouniua the 2 bench players from the chooks.

We just plod along with oompa loompas and the Roosters crow loudly as there chicks show everything we actually desire from our starting side let alone the bench.

We need to recognise what successful teams do re blooding & integrating young talent.
Coach

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade

Collins is a weapon, plenty of mongrel.