What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs Sea Eagles

BLM01

First Grade
team_web.jpg

TEAM LISTS

Breaking
Presented By

NRL team: Round 9 v Sea Eagles
Author
Dragons.com.au dragons.com.au
Timestamp
Tue 7 Jul 2020, 03:57 PM

St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has named his mandatory 21-man squad ahead of the Dragons' Round 9 clash against the Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles at Netstrata Jubilee Stadium, Kogarah on Sunday, July 12.

Tariq Sims (wrist) and Jordan Pereira (suspension) have been named to return for the Dragons, as Tyrell Fuimaono reverts to the bench and Korbin Sims and Jason Saab drop back to the reserves.

Ben Hunt has been named to start at hooker otherwise, with skipper Cameron McInnes named at lock and Trent Merrin moving back to the interchange.

NRL squad for Round 9 v Manly-Warringah Sea Eagles –
1. Matt Dufty – sponsored by EFEX
2. Jordan Pereira – sponsored by Wollongong Jetski
3. Euan Aitken – sponsored by University of Wollongong
4. Zac Lomax – sponsored by Floormania
5. Mikaele Ravalawa – sponsored by Nutrition Station
6. Corey Norman – sponsored by Kingsgrove Sports Centre
7. Adam Clune – sponsored by Baytek Construction
8. Blake Lawrie – sponsored by SMAI
9. Ben Hunt – sponsored by Paul's Customs and Forwarding Solutions
10. Paul Vaughan – sponsored by Fox Property
11. Tyson Frizell – sponsored by Modus Projects
12. Tariq Sims – sponsored by Stonemasons & Landscapers (since 1970)
13. Cameron McInnes (c) – sponsored by Dincel Construction System

Interchange:
14. Trent Merrin – sponsored by Dynamic Projects
15. Josh Kerr – sponsored by Professionals Padstow
16. Tyrell Fuimaono – sponsored by CMG Audio Visual
17. Jackson Ford – sponsored by TripADeal
18. Tim Lafai – sponsored by Nutrition Station
19. Tristan Sailor
20. Jason Saab – sponsored by Baytek Construction
21. Korbin Sims

https://www.dragons.com.au/news/2020/07/07/nrl-team-round-9-v-sea-eagles/
My only change...Saab for take your pick of which winger..probably JP
Leave Rava on the left if your must

Dragonsamy

Bench
Like the side, Hunt will be fine starting and the less mid game changes is good for both players allowing them to settle into their role.
Watch Cam improve if allowed to play lock all season.
Saab, not up to FG at present and JP deserves his spot back.
Rava will be fine, love him.
My new Kurt Mann.
CC

CC
Kurt will be disappointed that he's been replaced lol

hewi

Bench
Good to see Saab not picked. Trying to threaten the dragons by saying he’d leave if he didn’t play first grade. Eat humble pie young man. You simply don’t cut it in first grade.

I thought this bloke had it all especially with the weight he put on in the off season but I was disappointed how easily he was dominated returning the ball. I think his centre of gravity is to high so he is very easily pushed back and unable to break the line. Just my two bobs worth.

slippery5

Juniors
At Least the best forward pack has been finally named except for Kerr to start for Lawrie..
Ravalawa must have the same photos Aitkens been using for the past 5 years of McGronk!
I don't get the wrapps on Lawrie, surely we can see if someone else, ie Blacker, has something else to offer. It's not as though it's going to ruin our chances of top 8. The guy wouldn't even make the Bulldogs squad.

slippery5

Juniors
I don’t like Hunt starting. I don’t see him as a starting 9. His value is in his speed around the ruck when the game opens up. I think that putting him into the first 20 slugfest is going to expose his average defence and nullify his attacking value.

Prove me wrong Benny.
Didn't he start at 9 for Qld & was one of their best.

giboz71

First Grade
Saab’s lack of development is disappointing but hardly surprising. He’s following the same path as most of our young kids. Dufty and Lomax looked like world beaters the first few games then they get McGregored.

Spend too much time with our coach and you lose all required skill and confidence.

Dufty and Lomax are just starting to turn it around, mainly relying on their own skills and talent. So maybe Saab will too if he hangs around long enough and works out his coach can’t actually help him.

getsmarty

Immortal
clu_rc1_2009.jpg

DRAGONS

Clune's growing influence sees Hunt start at hooker
Author
Brad Walter NRL.com Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 7 Jul 2020, 06:06 PM
walterbrad-head.png

Adam Clune's growing influence over the Dragons is reaping rewards for those sharing his side of the field.

With Ben Hunt named at hooker and Cameron McInnes at lock for St George Illawarra's match against Manly on Sunday, centre Euan Aitken said Clune's growth was helping everyone around him.

Clune made his NRL debut in round four against Canterbury and his confidence has risen with each of the five matches he has played in the No.7 jersey.

During that time Hunt has been having an impact at dummy half from the interchange.

While signed as a halfback, Hunt is the incumbent Queensland hooker and has played as a bench utility for Australia because of his dummy-half skills.

Dragons coach Paul McGregor had been reluctant to move Hunt to hooker full-time as captain Cameron McInnes is regarded as one of the NRL's best No.9s. The pair have been sharing the dummy half for the last four weeks.

Hunt played 59 minutes in last weekend's 22-16 loss to Canberra, with McInnes shifting to lock, and he made 55 metres and one-line break from five dummy-half runs, as well as 37 tackles.

McInnes made 66 tackles and ran the ball for 121 metres from 16 carries, including one dummy-half run.

With Clune controlling the game at halfback, McGregor is now more comfortable about starting Hunt at hooker and he revealed last week that the move had been discussed by the club's new selection panel.

Centre Euan Aitken was full of praise for 25-year-old Clune on Tuesday.

We have changed up our attack a little bit, we are starting to get early ball to the centres

Euan Aitken on changes at the Dragons
"I have got nothing but wraps for Cluney. He is a little general," Aitken said.

"He is a great talker, he is a leader on the field and the way he has stepped into the team and is starting to lead the team around as well, he is slowly earning trust in the team."

Aitken defends on the left edge alongside Clune and they are set to be joined for the Manly game by second-rower Tariq Sims after his recovery from a thumb injury, while winger Jordan Pereira returns from suspension.

"I usually play on the right so I am starting to form a good combination on that edge with Cluney and we have got Tas coming back as well so it is going to be a strong edge there now," Aitken said.

"We haven't had too many tries down our edge in the last four games and we are just trying to improve on that. They have only scored off kicks in four games, which is impressive."

Team-mates regarded Aitken as St George Illawarra's best player in Canberra and he ran 221 metres with the ball.

The off-contract centre, who just two years ago was being touted for NSW Origin selection, revealed the Dragons had changed their attacking style since Clune took over at halfback.

"We have changed up our attack a little bit, we are starting to get early ball to the centres and that is what you want," Aitken said.

"In past games, early on [this season] and at the back end of last year. we just weren't as fluent in attack and it was a lot more stagnant so sometimes the ball wouldn’t get out there and I wouldn’t even touch the ball in good [position] or in transition to attack.

"Having Cluney there, I am getting a bit more clean pill and that allows me to get one-on-one with defenders and I back myself each time with that because I feel like I am a strong player."

The Sea Eagles will again be missing star fullback Tom Trbojevic and five-eighth Dylan Walker due to injury, while prop Addin Fonua-Blake has been suspended.

Despite those absences, Aitken said halfback and captain Daly Cherry-Evans was still a danger.

"They are obviously missing Turbo which is a big loss for them but they have still got a crafty half in Cherry-Evans so we have got to be on, especially as he is on our side on the left edge," he said.

"If we can nullify his attack I think we will go a long way towards winning."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/07/clunes-growing-influence-sees-hunt-start-at-hooker/

George Dragon

Juniors
We have changed up our attack a little bit, we are starting to get early ball to the centres and that is what you want," Aitken said.

"In past games, early on [this season] and at the back end of last year. we just weren't as fluent in attack and it was a lot more stagnant so sometimes the ball wouldn’t get out there and I wouldn’t even touch the ball in good [position] or in transition to attack.
6 f**king years too late.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Yea right on , so we have to bring in a herd of coaches to oversee the head coach because he has been F**KING up for 6 years .....

What an epiphany, 6yrs in.the making. Must have been those 3am video sessions I reckon.

Or,

Is it the fact a real coach has taken over the attacking structure and just introduced one of the basic fundamentals of the game......quick ball spread.

BLM01

First Grade
6 f**king years too late.
And it would not of changed only for the addition of 2 outsiders.
Yeh and how well are we going now.....2 from 8
Something tells me there is still a lot more changes to make

Here it is..McWinLittle still doing the game reviews and how impressive are we going right now!
"We haven't had too many tries down our edge in the last four games and we are just trying to improve on that. They have only scored off kicks in four games, which is impressive."

Last edited:

Dragon David

First Grade
I know a lot of us have been critical of Euan Aitken being in our team over the years. His lack of ball distribution in attack and many misreads in defence has caused us a lot of angst and anger. He and Lafai have always been the two that we would always say to get rid of out of firsts and put into reggies until their contracts are up.

It would appear to me that Lafai will be the first out of the two to be punted, however, I have a strong feeling that Aitken's contract will be renewed. He seems to be playing with a lot more energy and confidence and enthusiasm, particularly in the last 2-3 weeks and I think that it has got to do with Adam Clune being in the team and needless to say the influence of Mary's assistants. Mary by himself would have Aitken playing with the same attitude and style as has been the case in the previous 6 or so years.

I think Aitken will score a double against the Sea Eagles this weekend.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I know a lot of us have been critical of Euan Aitken being in our team over the years. His lack of ball distribution in attack and many misreads in defence has caused us a lot of angst and anger. He and Lafai have always been the two that we would always say to get rid of out of firsts and put into reggies until their contracts are up.

It would appear to me that Lafai will be the first out of the two to be punted, however, I have a strong feeling that Aitken's contract will be renewed. He seems to be playing with a lot more energy and confidence and enthusiasm, particularly in the last 2-3 weeks and I think that it has got to do with Adam Clune being in the team and needless to say the influence of Mary's assistants. Mary by himself would have Aitken playing with the same attitude and style as has been the case in the previous 6 or so years.

I think Aitken will score a double against the Sea Eagles this weekend.
I think he’s a great candidate for the back row.

A bit more bulk to go with his speed & post contact metres and he’d be a great attacking 2nd rower

Latest posts