What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Thanks Ivan

pantherz9103

First Grade
Sure, but he’s had a lot more ordinary seasons than good ones. You coach long enough and you’re going to have some good years.

His win rate is below 50%

He’s never coached a team higher than 4th in the regular season

Interesting fact: No coach has ever won their first premiership after the 300 game mark.

He’s a decidedly average coach.

He's not close to the elite coaches like Bellamy and Robinson granted but he's not close to the worst either.

Some of those lowly seasons were with us in 2012- when we had an ordinary roster and were rebuilding. In 2013 we improved from 15th to 10th and in 2014 up to 4th. I felt sorry when he was sacked after we came 11th in 2015 because we had a ridiculous injury toll that season.

You think if he took over as coach of the Roosters squad of the last 10 years he would be @ 50%??

He took on us who were a basket-case - That's being polite.
Tigers - Shambles
Warriors... Say no more...

If he walked into a squad not rebuilding, i think your opinion would be quite different.

Of course not, his record isn’t all his own doing. But some of it is, and I think there’s enough evidence to say he’s an average coach. Not bad, not good. Just average.

He's not close to the elite coaches like Bellamy and Robinson granted but he's not close to the worst either.

Some of those lowly seasons were with us in 2012- when we had an ordinary roster and were rebuilding. In 2013 we improved from 15th to 10th and in 2014 up to 4th. I felt sorry when he was sacked after we came 11th in 2015 because we had a ridiculous injury toll that season.

I didn’t say he’s the worst, I said he’s average. With the right squad he can get some decent results.

Whino

Bench
Vonny's response to Hooper was real amazing she said 'your sounding like a salty wests tigers supporter'

Cue laughter.

Hooper is one of the most biased uneducated fools out there. He always has an axe to grind and frequently over-exaggerates his points. If either to sound important (which he isn't) or to make it look like he is the only person in the room with inside Scoops. Scoops that are usually wrong.
If the shoe was on the other foot and Maguire did it, he would be defending it.
Because he is biased and can't miss an opportunity to dig the boot into someone he hates. He seeks out the small negativity in it to take offense.

Unprofessional or not. I thought it was funny that he gave it back to the fan in a polite way. Honestly it probably embarrassed the fan more having him react in that way than if he blew up.

Coaches go crazy in the boxes all the time. Reacting to players mistakes. Referee decisions and sometimes the fans. Its usually entertaining to see.

But best of all we could be building up a legitimate rivalry with Tigers that is fuelled by hate. I mean its pretty one sided hate at the moment. But still rivalry is great for both teams.

Penrith seem to be rarely hated over the decades. It’s kinda fun to follow a team that is hated with so much vitriol by a portion of the Tigers fan base.

How long until we get the “Manly” level of hate?

TheEroticGamer

Juniors
Sure, but he’s had a lot more ordinary seasons than good ones. You coach long enough and you’re going to have some good years.

His win rate is below 50%

He’s never coached a team higher than 4th in the regular season

Interesting fact: No coach has ever won their first premiership after the 300 game mark.

He’s a decidedly average coach.
I’d call this argument a certain word but looking at the backlash Fonua Blake got for saying it I don’t think it’s worth it.

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
And neither do supporters. Cleary reacted to someone being a dick after Cleary did something in kind towards his kid. No wonder the "Dad" was an ex-producer at Fox.
It would take you a matter of seconds to scroll up and read my other post on the matter. At no point have I excused the actions of the Tigers supporter.
You see it as being a dick. I see it as showing the human side.

If fans/other players can mouth off then why can't coaches and other players fire back?
When did we get so precious? Its one thing if he was swearing or blowing up completely but blowing a kiss and pointing at scoreboard is fairly innocent, not being dick at all IMO.

That tigers fan coming out and acting like he was poorly treated is a joke, what a pathetic man he must be to whinge like that after the event. If you insult a mans family, a mans son and walk away with only a blown kiss and a point at the scoreboard in return then you got off light. It was a funny response to a f**kwit who cant handle a loss.
So coaches should just 'accept' whatever abuse that comes their way from fans ?

That is a pretty high pedestal your expecting coaches to climb unto and remain.
Coaches don't normally act like Ivan did the other night. It's not the norm and I'd hope it isn't. If you can't see it's immature and unprofessional I can't help you.

I also bet if another coach did it you'd be all over it.

Also @betcats, I could be wrong, but the Tigers fan "acting like he was poorly treated"? That doesn't add up:

upload_2020-7-8_14-22-34.png

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
It would take you a matter of seconds to scroll up and read my other post on the matter. At no point have I excused the actions of the Tigers supporter.

Coaches don't normally act like Ivan did the other night. It's not the norm and I'd hope it isn't. If you can't see it's immature and unprofessional I can't help you.

Also @betcats, I could be wrong, but the Tigers fan "acting like he was poorly treated"? That doesn't add up:

View attachment 39744

I'm getting a chuckle over the outrage about a wave, and a couple of blown kisses.

I much prefer my coach doing that rather than yelling foul language from the coaches box (that is very easy to lip read)

Or a coach ripping the door of a dressing room in a tamper tantrum.

Timmah

Staff member
I'm getting a chuckle over the outrage about a wave, and a couple of blown kisses.

I much prefer my coach doing that rather than yelling foul language from the coaches box (that is very easy to lip read)

Or a coach ripping the door of a dressing room in a tamper tantrum.
Why does everything have to be taken to extremes?

People can discuss it being a bit unprofessional and silly without it being tagged as 'outrage'.

(and for what it's worth, I agree that Bellamy swearing his head off and Hasler ripping doors off is unprofessional too)

Abacus

Juniors
Fair to say that the Panthers-Tigers rivalry has just lifted another notch.

I'd be disappointed if Tigers fans don't all point to the scoreboard and blow kisses to the coaches box the next time they beat the Panthers.

franklin2323

Immortal

View attachment 39744

People laugh at Bellamy's rants
Toovey's presser rant
Des breaking the door was awesome

It shows not being a robot

Timmah

Staff member
People laugh at Bellamy's rants
Toovey's presser rant
Des breaking the door was awesome

It shows not being a robot
Absolutely, and personally I find myself amused at them - but I also try to look at it objectively and how others might react. The people who aren't (yet) rusted onto the game, and how they might react.

For many, it could reinforce the whole 'lout' attitude, how we're a game for thugs and bullies etc.

So I get the 'outrage'. I understand it