What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs the Sharks

WestyLife

First Grade
One reason Luai may be preferred to Burton is not because he’s a better individual player, but because he’s better suited to play with Cleary. So I wouldn’t boil the debate down to the better talent.

There’s a lot of merit to playing Burton at FB and having both of them on the field. Burton at FB will probably get as many touches as Luai, maybe more.

I hope they try this.

franklin2323

Immortal
The quality of the opposition is irrelevant when both players played against the same opposition behind the same forward pack.

There's literally no better way to compare the two players. It would be different if Luai had only played 2 games against Roosters and Storm. While Burton got 2 games against Warriors and Knights.

That would be apples and oranges. But in the 2 games both players were in. Burton edged Luai out. Yes the opposition was pretty poor. Yes our pack dominated. But Luai was literally his halves partner and they had the same 15 teammates playing against the same 17 opposition players. How are you ever going to get a better comparison then that?

Both are left side players. Burton played Right side v Knights was invisible. They switched for Warriors game and the roles reversed

Flashstep

Juniors
I understand the appeal of trying Burton at fullback to try and fit him into the team somewhere because he has the right attributes in attack. The problem is fullback is probably the hardest position to play right now especially when it comes to the defensive side of the game, can Burton really handle the positional side of the position as well as all of the extra running? Just look at Latrell Mitchell, a massive talent and he is struggling hard with the shift to fullback.

It's a pretty big ask and Edwards has been really good for us also.

WestyLife

First Grade
I understand the appeal of trying Burton at fullback to try and fit him into the team somewhere because he has the right attributes in attack. The problem is fullback is probably the hardest position to play right now especially when it comes to the defensive side of the game, can Burton really handle the positional side of the position as well as all of the extra running? Just look at Latrell Mitchell, a massive talent and he is struggling hard with the shift to fullback.

To be fair Mitchell has some mental demons to get past. Burton is one of our best trainers apparently.

Panfa

Juniors
Edwards playing well only spot burton could slot in to would be whares centre spot in the backline.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Or... we could, you know, drop the bloke on the bench who's proved absolutely nothing due to not playing footy for over a year...? Burton should be at least on the bench over May.

Burton is much fitter than Latrell Mitchell. And I don’t think anyone is suggesting we drop Edwards just now, but there’s a decent chance he picks up an injury at some stage.

ACTPanthers

Bench
Sorry I disagree.

I believe he's the best person in the squad for the 14 jersey.

I'm looking at purely what he offers on the footy field. (nothing else)
Ok, so what games did you watch him play in, in the last 12 months to form this opinion of him on the footy field?

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Ok, so what games did you watch him play in, in the last 12 months to form this opinion of him on the footy field?

That is a pretty silly statement to make, considering that the bloke was suspended the last 14 months.

I get that you don't like the bloke.

Who is the squad can cover as many positions as May with ease.

(yes I know I'm going off under 20's and reserve grade from 2 years ago)

But in saying that at the moment May fits the bill.

We are 2nd on the ladder.

By your comments you'd think we were running for the spoon.

ACTPanthers

Bench
That is a pretty silly statement to make, considering that the bloke was suspended the last 14 months.

What? By what comments? I think you're just trying to sound smart now, because all I said was I think Burton should be in the 17 - Not that we're shit, and losing like you alluded to... So, what did I post to make you think I think we're running for the spoon? Or will you admit you just put that there as some kind of hyperbole?

Not a silly statement at all - It's quite succinct to the conversation actually. May hasn't played in some time (as you stated) which gives no view as to current form, Burton has. THIS is why I think Burton has more right than May. No other reason whatsoever.

WestyLife

First Grade
Maybe so but that left side is carving up. Why would you change anything? The issue is no NSW Cup to try things

I want the 3 of them on at the same time not to replace Luai.

Exactly. A key player who helped us achieve that 2nd got dropped.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
What? By what comments? I think you're just trying to sound smart now, because all I said was I think Burton should be in the 17 - Not that we're shit, and losing like you alluded to... So, what did I post to make you think I think we're running for the spoon? Or will you admit you just put that there as some kind of hyperbole?

Not a silly statement at all - It's quite succinct to the conversation actually. May hasn't played in some time (as you stated) which gives no view as to current form, Burton has. THIS is why I think Burton has more right than May. No other reason whatsoever.

I disagree.

It's not about 'right' it's about who is the best fit at 14. At this moment May is.

Like Lewis can play any position in the team.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I disagree.

It's not about 'right' it's about who is the best fit at 14. At this moment May is.

Like Lewis can play any position in the team.
The above is in no way an answer to my post...

I'll ask the question again, as I really want to know, what in my posts indicated I think we are playing for the spoon? You glossed over that

EDIT: I get the right reference now and I disagree - There is no way to know that May is the better option other than information from years ago

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
The above is in no way an answer to my post...

I'll ask the question again, as I really want to know, what in my posts indicated I think we are playing for the spoon? You glossed over that

EDIT: I get the right reference now and I disagree - There is no way to know that May is the better option other than information from years ago

Oh gosh it was a throwaway comment that's all.