What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs the Sharks

The_Frog

First Grade
I want the 3 of them on at the same time not to replace Luai.

Exactly. A key player who helped us achieve that 2nd got dropped.
He replaced Nathan Cleary at half. He was never holding on to the starting sport at either 6 or 7 barring injury.That position has been vindicated. The coach put him on the bench due to the promise he'd displayed but predictably enough he didn't get much game time. It was always going to be until May was available. He wasn't even really dropped, he was always covering for other players ahead of him in the order.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
A throwaway comment that made me out to be something I'm not? Yeah, please don't do that again

I'm sorry if you were offended.

It was in no way a personal comment.

It was a comment to illustrate that Penrith (at the moment) are sitting in 2nd position. Not the bottom of the ladder.

You have 2 players (sure one hasn't played in over 12months till recently)

I who in the last few years has played either wing or in the halves.

The other who has played every position on the field except for maybe the front row. Quite experienced in lower grades in all these positions.

Now I know which one I would pick to be a sub for the backline and the backrow.

ACTPanthers

Bench
I'm sorry if you were offended.

It was in no way a personal comment.

It was a comment to illustrate that Penrith (at the moment) are sitting in 2nd position. Not the bottom of the ladder.

You have 2 players (sure one hasn't played in over 12months till recently)

I who in the last few years has played either wing or in the halves.

The other who has played every position on the field except for maybe the front row. Quite experienced in lower grades in all these positions.

Now I know which one I would pick to be a sub for the backline and the backrow.
I wasn't offended, just didn't appreciate it. But all good :)

I understand your view, I just disagree. Without footy for over 12 months, it is almost impossible to say he'd be better in the 14 than Burton. There's just no logical way to say that with any form of confidence, that I can see anyway.

I know we're in 2nd position, but as Oldy (sorry, Westy) stated, Burton was one of the players that made that possible. Now he's been replaced by someone who I personally can't judge on form because he hasn't played. That's all I'm trying to say.

WestyLife

First Grade
He replaced Nathan Cleary at half. He was never holding on to the starting sport at either 6 or 7 barring injury.That position has been vindicated. The coach put him on the bench due to the promise he'd displayed but predictably enough he didn't get much game time. It was always going to be until May was available. He wasn't even really dropped, he was always covering for other players ahead of him in the order.

Obviously the club sees it that way but without football for so long and no reserve grade I'd say May should've been behind Burton in the pecking order. Any other rookie like May doesn't walk straight into the 17 like that surely.

Luke Bowden

First Grade
Ok, so what games did you watch him play in, in the last 12 months to form this opinion of him on the footy field?

Tyrone May has played a lot of footy with Cleary, Romey and Dylan. He covers a lot of different positions, he can basically play anywhere in the spine or back row.

The team has also been training now for quite a while with the plan of having him on the bench. It’s not hard to see why he’s been picked ahead of Burton.

I love Burton, I think he’s a freak of a player, but, at the moment, May is probably the better option at 14.

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Tyrone May has played a lot of footy with Cleary, Romey and Dylan. He covers a lot of different positions, he can basically play anywhere in the spine or back row.

The team has also been training now for quite a while with the plan of having him on the bench. It’s not hard to see why he’s been picked ahead of Burton.

I love Burton, I think he’s a freak of a player, but, at the moment, May is probably the better option at 14.

Said it much better than I could (over a number of posts, thanks)

snickers007

Juniors
I love Burto, and I would have had him in the #6 for Round 1, and again in Round 5 after he completely outplayed Luai in Rnds 3 & 4. But, Luai to his credit, has bounced back very strongly, and has been very good without being outstanding the last couple of games.

I also don't think that bench impact player/back up half is Burto's role. He is absolutely being disadvantaged by the lack of NSW Cup - but so is every other fringe first grader.

I'm not sure who his manager is - but he needs people to advise him to be patient. Injuries happen. Suspensions happen. Players come in and out of form. And if we lose a couple of games in a row (please no!), we will see changes. Laui had Maloney dumped in front of him, and he didn't leave - and he's a better player for serving his apprenticeship.

Maybe we throw him in at Centre for a couple of games and see if that works - and maybe that's the plan. Who knows.

If another club wants to throw stupid money at him, good luck to him. We cannot, and should not get into a bidding war on a rookie half with 6-7 games under his belt - especially when we have the current NSW Half already on a $1M per year.

I think we'll see lots of fringe first grade players (across the comp), get new 1 year deals on similar money - as a result of no lower grade footy this year. Burton would benefit from this - cause I think if given a chance to shine in NSW Cup for a full/half season, he'd see his value sky rocket. And it would probably be better for his development too, rather than counting his money while getting thrashed with the Titans or Dogs.

As for Tyrone May, he's a better utility in my opinion. Can cover any position on the field (and has at lower grades), and is probably a better contrast to Cleary than Burto. Is he benefiting from being best mates with Cleary? Probably. But I think he proved his talent in 2017-18. I also reckon that if Luai broke an ankle and was gone for the year, Burton would be straight in at #6, and May would stay at #14. I don't think May has leap frogged him altogether, just as a utility.

TL;DR - I think the level of hysteria around Burton being dropped is a bit over the top. He was brought in as cover, and he served very well. He'll get another chance.

One things for sure. It’s nice to debate about the embarrassment of riches that we seem to have in the halves department with the likes of Cleary, Luai, Burton and May currently on the books.

A far cry from the days where we had no choice but to select Luke Walsh, Maurice Blair and Jarrod Sammut!!

I freaking loved Bobby Blair, and reckon he had the talent to be a major player. But he was just so freaking lazy. Was always in the fat group in pre-season training, and even bludged on Craig Bellamy when he joined the Storm.

To be fair Mitchell has some mental demons to get past. Burton is one of our best trainers apparently.

If you're elevating Burton for his training prowess, he's not displacing Edwards - because he is our absolute best trainer.

Ok, so what games did you watch him play in, in the last 12 months to form this opinion of him on the footy field?

May played in the trials, and also played Round 1 of NSW Cup (alongside Burton).
Stats can be found here: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2020/round-1/panthers-v-bears/
Neither set the world on fire that day - but I thought May was very good in the trials (and last week against the Tigers too).

WestyLife

First Grade
I love Burto, and I would have had him in the #6 for Round 1, and again in Round 5 after he completely outplayed Luai in Rnds 3 & 4. But, Luai to his credit, has bounced back very strongly, and has been very good without being outstanding the last couple of games.

I also don't think that bench impact player/back up half is Burto's role. He is absolutely being disadvantaged by the lack of NSW Cup - but so is every other fringe first grader.

I'm not sure who his manager is - but he needs people to advise him to be patient. Injuries happen. Suspensions happen. Players come in and out of form. And if we lose a couple of games in a row (please no!), we will see changes. Laui had Maloney dumped in front of him, and he didn't leave - and he's a better player for serving his apprenticeship.

Maybe we throw him in at Centre for a couple of games and see if that works - and maybe that's the plan. Who knows.

If another club wants to throw stupid money at him, good luck to him. We cannot, and should not get into a bidding war on a rookie half with 6-7 games under his belt - especially when we have the current NSW Half already on a $1M per year.

I think we'll see lots of fringe first grade players (across the comp), get new 1 year deals on similar money - as a result of no lower grade footy this year. Burton would benefit from this - cause I think if given a chance to shine in NSW Cup for a full/half season, he'd see his value sky rocket. And it would probably be better for his development too, rather than counting his money while getting thrashed with the Titans or Dogs.

As for Tyrone May, he's a better utility in my opinion. Can cover any position on the field (and has at lower grades), and is probably a better contrast to Cleary than Burto. Is he benefiting from being best mates with Cleary? Probably. But I think he proved his talent in 2017-18. I also reckon that if Luai broke an ankle and was gone for the year, Burton would be straight in at #6, and May would stay at #14. I don't think May has leap frogged him altogether, just as a utility.

TL;DR - I think the level of hysteria around Burton being dropped is a bit over the top. He was brought in as cover, and he served very well. He'll get another chance.

I freaking loved Bobby Blair, and reckon he had the talent to be a major player. But he was just so freaking lazy. Was always in the fat group in pre-season training, and even bludged on Craig Bellamy when he joined the Storm.

If you're elevating Burton for his training prowess, he's not displacing Edwards - because he is our absolute best trainer.

May played in the trials, and also played Round 1 of NSW Cup (alongside Burton).
Stats can be found here: https://www.nswrl.com.au/draw/nsw-cup/2020/round-1/panthers-v-bears/
Neither set the world on fire that day - but I thought May was very good in the trials (and last week against the Tigers too).

That from me was in response to Mitchell being bad at fullback as an argument to prove a point about Burton. No one at the club would beat Edwards on fitness and effort at training.

For me it's not hysteria just think he improves the team. As everyone has said lack of reserve grade really ruins these things.

franklin2323

Immortal
Obviously the club sees it that way but without football for so long and no reserve grade I'd say May should've been behind Burton in the pecking order. Any other rookie like May doesn't walk straight into the 17 like that surely.

May came on at lock Sat night. That is why he is in the 17 can cover more positions. Every team needs someone off the bench like that

WestyLife

First Grade
Except only ever played half while at the club. Different story if we had lower grades running or we were desperate for some spark

You just have to ask him to tackle, run or pass. It's a simple position. May did very little against Tigers and certainly nothing to say he had special skills that Burton lacks. He took a few hit ups and made a few tackles.

franklin2323

Immortal
You just have to ask him to tackle, run or pass. It's a simple position. May did very little against Tigers and certainly nothing to say he had special skills that Burton lacks. He took a few hit ups and made a few tackles.

If it was that easy then every big back would move to the forwards.

It was 12-10 when May came on. Say we put Burton out instead and missed a few tackles that let tries in. We don't win.

We are pushing for Top 4 no need to take such risks atm. A few losses or injury is a different story

Last edited:

snickers007

Juniors
If it was that easy then every big back would move to the forwards.

It was 12-10 when May came on. Say we put Burton out instead and missed a few tackles that let tries in. We don't win.

We are pushing for Top 4 no need to take such risks atm. A few losses or injury is a different story

Exactly right.

He came on with 2mins to go against the Bunnies and still leaked a try with a second rower either side of him...

May is in front of burton atm.
More experience.
More value to the team.
Burton will get another chance this year through injury or form.
And if not, the years after.

No, it’s really do or die this year. He’s off contract at the end of 2021, which means offers will come his way as of November.

GongPanther

Referee
If we are to be concentrating on keeping the best talent, then Crighton is our utmost concern. The money spent on keeping others will have to be sorted and shifted to keep Crighton who, IMO is our priority.

IF we lose Burton, it is not the end of the world being that we have his position already sorted. Crighton on the other hand is far too special a talent to let go.

Last edited:

Latest posts