What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O.T. Anyone with a clue on the Leagues Club Development?

taipan

Referee
Having a vigorous debate with a mate ,who argues it would be cheaper to demolish the old club and rebuild, than gut it ,refurbish it and add on.
Anyone know why it is to be gutted rather than demolished?
Does it have anything to do with the P Burns stand being attached? Or the time factor?
Thanks.

Tiger Shark

Bench
I think that would have been a good idea and then upgrade Peter Burns stand with a roof and to cover more of the field.

Can't imagine it would be cheaper to demolish though compared to the refurb.

shaggs

Coach
I think that would have been a good idea and then upgrade Peter Burns stand with a roof and to cover more of the field.

Can't imagine it would be cheaper to demolish though compared to the refurb.
This.
The leagues club is going to be a single floor. Basically the Peter burns stand and then space behind it and next to it.

Frenzy.

Immortal
Having a vigorous debate with a mate ,who argues it would be cheaper to demolish the old club and rebuild, than gut it ,refurbish it and add on.
Does it have anything to do with the P Burns stand being attached? Or the time factor?
Thanks.

Big debate? Huge debate?

Mass Debate??

sharknows

Bench
Thanks.
Your mate obviously hasn’t got a clue :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

blue bags

First Grade
sharkies cannot afford a full demolish, knock down rebuild,
just renovate too update, its alot cheaper, easier

taipan

Referee
Your mate obviously hasn’t got a clue :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

That's what I suggested to him, he got the sh*ts.That's why I brought the question up here to get further proof..
My view is the cost of demolishing the P Burns stand would be prohibitive.

deal with developer is the club. we get moneys, they develop the site.
the football stadium will not be touched on the PB side and have minor thigs done with a building wrapping around on the ET side. will be more corporate facilities.

IF we secure the funding to match what NSW govt allocated us. we have not done that as yet and IMO given sports rorts we wont. not through scomo anyway

if you listened to Dino on sharkcast last season, he pretty much told you the following
* no point spending big on the stadium when the stadium policy was up in the air.

now that ANZ rebuild is dead, Greenburg is dead and Vlandy's the warrior rules, I would say there will now be a push away from the centralised model.

so, the issue then there is securing more money (not a public owned venue so good luck) from NSW or the GOVT.

the short end, is IMO, we need to upgrade the corporate facilities, the toilets and media stuff at a minimum to play finals games there.

if it were me running the club I would have already formed a working group with the dragons and with the ffa to have a southern bankwest built..somewhere.

at the moment all signs point to any money allocation going to Kogarah. which is the worst possible option.

however. I don't think..that the anz stadium money will be reallocated to nsw grounds. given the virus and other pressures

if it were me running the club I would have already formed a working group with the dragons and with the ffa to have a southern bankwest built..somewhere.
10 years ago Reefy was strongly suggesting that a stadium should be built at Loftus to cater for us and the Dragons. It made sense as it was still in our heartland and it would be close enough to half way for their two groups of fans.
A few years ago the Chinese consortium that wanted an A-league team were going to get a stadium built in Loftus, if they won selection, for that very reason, to cater for Shire, St.George and Wollongong fans.
Loftus seems to be the go, just don't go to the dunnys apparently, or maybe take the poster KnightsDragons with you..

shaggs

Coach
@Russell Crowe's Band

all of the facilities behind the ent stand are being upgraded and changed. The stadium will be entered behind this stand to cover the creek. All media, conference, toilets etc will be in there.

taipan

Referee
deal with developer is the club. we get moneys, they develop the site.
the football stadium will not be touched on the PB side and have minor thigs done with a building wrapping around on the ET side. will be more corporate facilities.

IF we secure the funding to match what NSW govt allocated us. we have not done that as yet and IMO given sports rorts we wont. not through scomo anyway

if you listened to Dino on sharkcast last season, he pretty much told you the following
* no point spending big on the stadium when the stadium policy was up in the air.

now that ANZ rebuild is dead, Greenburg is dead and Vlandy's the warrior rules, I would say there will now be a push away from the centralised model.

so, the issue then there is securing more money (not a public owned venue so good luck) from NSW or the GOVT.

the short end, is IMO, we need to upgrade the corporate facilities, the toilets and media stuff at a minimum to play finals games there.

at the moment all signs point to any money allocation going to Kogarah. which is the worst possible option.

however. I don't think..that the anz stadium money will be reallocated to nsw grounds. given the virus and other pressures

One thing to remember,and I agree with COVID-19 view ,the chances now are zero, but the Monty Porter Stand was funded with a Fed Govt grant courtesy of Peter Costello.So money can be allocated via a grant to a privately pwned ground if it benefits the community.

The biggest mistake the club made in the early development, was not having the P Burns stand with cover.You'd fill it time and time again with cover.When it p*sses down rain, you wouldn't even seat P. Kent there.
We've got around $18m left in the kitty, that's allowing for $12m to the Leagues club development, plus repaying $9m debts up to and including 2019.This out of the $40m received from developers .
IMO we have the loot for a Centre of Excellence contribution, with extra sponsors boxes, plus the already agreed State Govt grant.
The Leagues club when completed needs to make regular profits to help fund new stands or modernise current ones.

Special K

Coach
I can't f**king I believe I move under 5 minutes from the ground and we f**king move from home for 2 years. I got like 1 game in last year FFS.

This makes no sense given the NRL want the Dragons brand but for it to be a southern coast team. You can't play the Dragons out of Kogarah full time it just wouldn't work for the southern coast, jnrs etc. Where we would put a new mini bankwest is a great question. Loftus I get makes sense. Sutherland would also. If they did build a mini bankwest at Kogarah it wouldn't be the end of the world for us if we could still host 4-5 or so games a year at home. One thing we need to do is become more of a Shire brand not just "Cronulla". The shire is f**ken huge and if everyone was behind us we could be a mega club.

Last edited:
I can't f**king I believe I move under 5 minutes from the ground and we f**king move from home for 2 years. I got like 1 game in last year FFS.

This makes no sense given the NRL want the Dragons brand but for it to be a southern coast team. You can't play the Dragons out of Kogarah full time it just wouldn't work for the southern coast, jnrs etc. Where we would put a new mini bankwest is a great question. Loftus I get makes sense. Sutherland would also. If they did build a mini bankwest at Kogarah it wouldn't be the end of the world for us if we could still host 4-5 or so games a year at home. One thing we need to do is become more of a Shire brand not just "Cronulla". The shire is f**ken huge and if everyone was behind us we could be a mega club.
Kogarah is council land, that's why they'd be hitting it. A govt asset would have more chance go get some decent govt handout.