What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Demise of Qld Clubs

SLRBRONCOS

Referee
Nothing suspicious here

Have to disagree.

When I was headhunted by a competitor to do the same job with a significant pay rise I changed my mind about three times. It is fairly common. Ended up taking the new gig, obviously, and I feel that Fifita will go to the titans. We will see.

Big Pete

Referee
But it was interesting how far in advance of other Qld Cup the Sunshine Coast was once they linked with Melbourne

Yet not advanced enough to make it count in the finals, same deal unfortunately for Easts.

I'm not completely against the idea of a national reserve grade competition, I just think you and Gus have gotten in too early with your diagnosis without considering all the other factors plaguing the club.

Broncos - Hyped up an inexperienced Coach, Boyd, Milford.

Cowboys - Coach who still has the 2015 calendar hanging on his office wall. (Do coaches have offices?)

Titans - Deadwood, new coach seems to be doing OK but will be hindered until he can f**k off Cartwright, Taylor, Rein etc or turn their careers around.

That 2015 calendar would be valid again now right (leap year included)?

flippikat

Bench
Melbourne's long term dominance of Brisbane players has caught up. Can't wait for Smith to retire.

Yep.

Got to remember that generally each era since the 1980s has had a "team du jour" for the best up and coming Queensland talent - in the 1980s it was the Raiders, the 1990s the Broncos, and the 2000s the Storm. It'll be interesting to see what club assumes that mantle when Smith & Bellamy retire.

Yep.

Got to remember that generally each era since the 1980s has had a "team du jour" for the best up and coming Queensland talent - in the 1980s it was the Raiders, the 1990s the Broncos, and the 2000s the Storm. It'll be interesting to see what club assumes that mantle when Smith & Bellamy retire.
Hopefully North Queensland. :D

jim_57

Staff member
Yep.

2010s there was no obvious club, then again the lack of depth in the Origin team now shows there wasn't a lot there compared to previous decades.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Yep.

The chooks have to be the team of the 2000s tbh...4 premierships, 4 runners up finishes. Unbelievable consistency. Storm meanwhile-2 premierships, 2 runners up (including a quite hilarious 40-0 loss)

The_Frog

First Grade
Yep.

This is not a bad thing so long as it changes every few years like it used to, however that hasn't happened so much since 2000, as the rich clubs find ways of maintaining their dominance. Fifita looking like staying at the Broncos for half a million less than someone else is offering shows why this is so. The value of each player should be assessed for the cap regardless of what they are being paid.

Fifita has probably done GC a favour. He's not worth what they were offering him. They would be better placed getting rid of the overpaid showponies and building a team around young workers who will put the club first. Melbourne does that and reap the benefits.

MKCS

Juniors
Queensland teams are all struggling right now and it's odd because they don't really have bad rosters just seems like bad coaching and players not reaching their full potential.

Broncos have probably three of the best young forward in the games with TPJ, Fifita and Haas. Milford when he wants to play 100% is a really strong player, Croft had/has plenty of potential, Oates is strong and lots of good experience there with Te'o, Glenn, Boyd (Lol, maybe that's the one thing he has that is good) and a few others. Definitely a coaching issue with them I think because if those three young forwards or even Milford were playing for Melbourne they'd be some of the best players in the comp.

Cowboys are the same really. Bunch of Origin players, best lock forward in the world, one of the best fullbacks in the comp before he left and a few young players with potential. Thurston leaving was kind of it for them which is a shame but I think they honestly need a new coach.

Gold Coast Titans are the saddest one for me. They are like that mate we all have who gets on the punt too much and puts all their hopes and dreams on the pokies. They put a million dollars into Ash Taylor expecting him to be the next Lockyer or Thurston when really he won't ever really reach that, they were about to give David Fifita a million dollars as well in hopes that he becomes the next big superstar. Even their coach is a big punt with them hoping he comes good and can turn them around.

Titans need to cut the fat, sign some solid first graders (How did they let Sezer and Folau get signed to Super League when both would be massive improvements on what they have?) and a coach that players actually trust with their footballing careers (Nothing against Holbrook but he isn't the guy to turn them around I don't think). Stop paying millions for players who very well could end up as duds.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Things started going downhill when Andrew Gee had to go on his surprise fishing trip
this, and a little investigation into Townsville property prices......

The Roosters uncle Nick has the right idea.....bitcoin .....the new age brown paper bag.