What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

shear_joy9

Coach
Unfortunately I think Green's (and granville's) time at Townsville is up. Get Walters in ASAP, move Morgan into the centres when he returns from injury, and we should see some improvement.

My best 17 from current squad: holmes, feldt, morgan, o'neill, fidow, drinkwater, clifford, mclean, robson, wright, mcguire, dunn, taumalolo, cotter, cooper, hess, asiata

best thing the cowboys could do is fire green and find a medical retirement for morgan. You can't pay $1mil for a centre especially someone as injury prone as morgan. The cowboys have a big problem in squad depth. Morgan's salary would help that.

Kevin Walters?? You would need one hell of an assistant coach to hold his hand because Walters would comfortably be the worst coach in the league. Just listen to his commentary, he barely even understands the rules. Look at his results for the Catalan Dragons. He took over a side that was a title contender and led them to the spoon.

jim_57

Staff member
best thing the cowboys could do is fire green and find a medical retirement for morgan. You can't pay $1mil for a centre especially someone as injury prone as morgan. The cowboys have a big problem in squad depth. Morgan's salary would help that.

Kevin Walters?? You would need one hell of an assistant coach to hold his hand because Walters would comfortably be the worst coach in the league. Just listen to his commentary, he barely even understands the rules. Look at his results for the Catalan Dragons. He took over a side that was a title contender and led them to the spoon.

I had high hopes for Morgan after the 2017 final series. Those first 3 finals games were some of the best football I've seen from any player ever. Naturally I thought in 2018 & 2019 he'd really come out of Thurston's shadow but it just hasn't happened.

Hampton was Paul Green's first choice for left wing at the start of the year. He let in God knows how many tries in that second half.

Drinkwater does not know when to hold his position in the defensive line and slide or when to come out of the line to shut the play down. There's no way Bellamy would allow those sort of errors to occur week after week.

I get the sense these players just don't want to play for Paul Green. The feeble attempts at tackling is an effort issue. Paul Green hasn't got an effective game plan so the players couldn't be bothered putting their bodies on the line. The CEO needs to get him away from this team ASAP. Put Josh Hannah in as coach and see how the squad responds to him.

beave

Coach
The female in the presser went pretty hard at Green last night, I wish more of the journos started to take the little merkin to task. He inherited quite a good situation when he arrived in NQ. Henry was never going to win us a comp but he pulled this club out of a steaming pile of shit that was 2008-2010. Green waltzes in, throws a few players of his choice at an already fairly talented squad, wins a GF in his second year, prelim in his 3rd, Bradbury’s a GF appearance in his 4th (which actually hid the fact that we were well and truly on the downward slide.) Ever since we have been an absolute disgrace.

He and Parr have completely f**ked our roster over this period letting go a myriad of decent players. They chased Jordan Maclean hard for 2 years, even trying to get him to break away from his Storm contract early. They finally get him for apparent big money but he has spent a huge portion of his time in NQ on the sidelines. And when he has actually played he is fairly ineffective. Meanwhile Bradon Uele whom was put through our own f**king junior system was let go to the sharks and plays the same position. He would have stayed in NQ if given the chance, would have been on half the wage and honestly you would get the same output from if not better.

The roster management has been the worst I have ever seen in my 25years of being an NQ fan. Matt Scott should never had been signed for his last 2 years. They needed to make the hard decision in 2017 after he did his knee that enough was enough. Granville had been playing like utter horse shit for 1.5yrs but they threw him a 3yr deal. Gavin Cooper being extended for this season was a disgraceful call. I get embarrassed for him watching him out on the field in 2020.

Another isssue I see is he had 4 FG coach caliber assistants in his first 4 years. Furner, Cartwright, Demetriou and Kristian Woolf. These guys have all left and now all he has helping him is David Fairleigh and Josh Hannay. Hannays coaching apprenticeship was at Souths Logan in the Qcup. They never made the finals under his 3 year tutelage, his appointment was purely a ‘job for the ex-player’. He was made an assistant for QLD in origin in 2018, we haven’t won a series since he has been involved.

IMO the big reason we were successful in his early years is because he was getting better guidance and help from his entourage of assistants.

Last edited:

aqua_duck

Coach
The female in the presser went pretty hard at Green last night, I wish more of the journos started to take the little merkin to task. He inherited quite a good situation when he arrived in NQ. Henry was never going to win us a comp but he pulled this club out of a steaming pile of shit that was 2008-2010. Green waltzes in, throws a few players of his choice at an already fairly talented squad, wins a GF in his second year, prelim in his 3rd, Bradbury’s a GF appearance in his 4th (which actually hid the fact that we were well and truly on the downward slide.) Ever since we have been a steaming pile of shit.

He and Parr have completely f**ked our roster over this period letting go a myriad of decent players. They chased Jordan Maclean hard for 2 years, even trying to get him to break away from his Storm contract early. They get him for apparent big money but he has
spent a huge portion of his time in NQ on the sidelines. And when he has actually played he is fairly ineffective. Meanwhile Bradon Uele whom was put through our own f**king junior system was let go to the sharks and plays the same position. He would have stayed in NQ if given the chance, would have been on half the wage and honestly you would get the same output from if not better.

The roster management has been the worst I have ever seen in my 25years of being an NQ fan. Matt Scott should never had been signed for his last 2 years. They needed to make the hard decision in 2017 after he did his knee that enough was enough. Granville had been playing like utter horse shit for 1.5yrs but they threw him a 3yr deal. Gavin Cooper being extended for this season was a disgraceful call. I get embarrassed for him watching him out on the field in 2020.

Another isssue I see is he had 4 FG coach caliber assistants in his first 4 years. Furner, Cartwright, Demetriou and Kristian Woolf. These guys have all left and all he has helping him is David Fairleigh and Josh Hannay. Hannays coaching apprenticeship was at Souths Logan in the Qcup. They never made the finals under his 3 year tutelage, his appointment was purely a ‘job for the ex-player’. He was made an assistant for QLD in origin in 2018, we haven’t won a series since he has been involved.

IMO the big reason we were successful in his early years is because he was getting better guidance and help from his entourage of assistants.
Last night they had a graphic on channel 9 showing the juniors the cowboys have failed to retain in recent years and it's little wonder the team is where it is. When a team let's go of Ponga, Kikau, Brandon Smith, Hamlin Uele and Horbaugh in the space of 3-4 years it's a massive problem

beave

Coach
Last night they had a graphic on channel 9 showing the juniors the cowboys have failed to retain in recent years and it's little wonder the team is where it is. When a team let's go of Ponga, Kikau, Brandon Smith, Hamlin Uele and Horbaugh in the space of 3-4 years it's a massive problem

Brandon Smiths old man posts on the Cowboys fan forum, he is not very complimentary of Paul Green at all.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Yeh signing JT and letting Ponga go is nuts. As good as JT is, one top forward isnt going to be the difference week in week out between winning and losing games. You'd think clubs would look at Storm and roosters squad management and understand that throwing big money at forwards and wingers isnt where you should spend your marquee money!

The_Frog

First Grade
This side has horrendous defensive problems. Getting lapped by the Roosters is the least of it. The Roosters will run through much better defenses than the Cowboys. But they've been leaking points alarmingly all season. If Green can't teach them to defend he needs to get in someone who can. And I fully agree, Taumalolo with his 200 metres is utterly useless if opposition sides can run in 30+ points in even time.

beave

Coach
Yeh signing JT and letting Ponga go is nuts. As good as JT is, one top forward isnt going to be the difference week in week out between winning and losing games. You'd think clubs would look at Storm and roosters squad management and understand that throwing big money at forwards and wingers isnt where you should spend your marquee money!

IMO opinion Ponga was never staying. The unfortunate thing was that Coote deserved to be extended (I would have extended him if I was CEO). He had just won a comp and was a massive reason we were premiers and he was playing great. When Coote signed, Ponga had not played one FG game. The timing was just shit for everyone and Kalyn deserves whatever cash he can get, if Kalyn had of just waited the 12months in NQ til the end of 2018, he would have had the #1 to himself up there, tbh he would have probably had it early/mid 2018 as Coote got injured and was on the outer.

Kikau, Brandon, Uele, Horsbrough are all on those idiots at the club. Holding onto Granville, Hampton, Scott, Cooper, Oneill and going after Maclean have been major f**k ups, Parr and Green need to be held accountable.

Green has coached the football out of them in attack. In the first half last night, they could barely string 2-3 passes together in a single play. They are sloppy and clunky, the first 3 kicks in general play were a f**king mess.

In defence, the problems were shifted to our left side (right side got their shit together) and the middle. Simple shifts to the chooks right couldn’t even be countered because they have zero communication or clue on what the f**k they need to do, they get interested in decoy runners and confused as to who has who.

Last edited:

The_Frog

First Grade
The trouble with winning premierships is that the players involved aren't satisfied with a ring. They want more money. This means the club cannot afford to re-sign gun juniors like those mentioned above.

beave

Coach
The trouble with winning premierships is that the players involved aren't satisfied with a ring. They want more money. This means the club cannot afford to re-sign gun juniors like those mentioned above.

Matt Scott should have been moved on end of 2017.

Granville should have been moved on end of 18.

Justin Oneill got a 3 year deal and the club forgot to tell anyone about, he should have been moved on end of 18.

Cooper should have been moved on end of last year.

These 4 players combined is about $2.3 mil and would have allowed a natural stagger to bring either some youth through or go to market and actually get the players needed. Instead he kept playing Granville even though the merkin cannot pass (particularly to his right) and let Ruben Cotter waste away on the extended bench.

Our right side last year was actually pretty good in the last 8-10weeks. Feldt, Opacic and Wright had a nice little defensive combo going. Fast forward to rd1 this year Green blows that combo apart and drops Wright and Opacic to the corporate box in the western.

Clint Zammit our junior scout must pull his f**king hair out. Gets these talented kids like Kikau and Smith and Ponga, Parr and Green just let them
walk.

I hope the both of them are gone by the end of the year.

beave

Coach
Board needs to pay out Green and then bring Nathan Brown or Geoff Toovey in.

I agree.
Brown is not going to win a
premiership but he can assemble a squad, IMO he would be inheriting a far worse situation than what he did in Newy, he would probably tell our board he is not interested.

I know I would.

The complete mess NQ is in will take 2-3years to remotely get out of, we still have some deadwood on the books for next year unless they can entice some club to take them on.

Last edited:

Desert Qlder

First Grade
Our right side last year was actually pretty good in the last 8-10weeks. Feldt, Opacic and Wright had a nice little defensive combo going. Fast forward to rd1 this year Green blows that combo apart and drops Wright and Opacic to the corporate box in the western.

That has been one of the most irksome parts of 2020. Paul Green must have a head full of haze to destroy that combination.

But there is a litany of decision making from this bloke that shows he is one of either being under momentous pressure to save his job, has favourites that must be in the team, or is just wholly incompetent.

Stepping back it is possibly a combination of all three.

beave

Coach
That has been one of the most irksome parts of 2020. Paul Green must have a head full of haze to destroy that combination.

But there is a litany of decision making from this bloke that shows he is one of either being under momentous pressure to save his job, has favourites that must be in the team, or is just wholly incompetent.

Stepping back it is possibly a combination of all three.

His persistence with Granville was mind boggling. Even in 15-17, Granville had a very average passing game but his scoots from dummy half (particularly in 15-16) always kept the defense honest and put some doubt in their heads. Fast forward to ‘18, he wasn’t running at all so with a shithosue passing game, one must ask why in the f**k do you play this guy? In defense, you would not meet a more willing guy and tbh no one can deny the level of effort Jake Granville puts in week after week.The problem is he can’t pass for shit and call me kooky call me whacky, kinda of a big issue
when your position on the field sort of needs you to be able to
conduct that activity a couple of times a week.....

Granville was ‘his boy’ at Wynumn when they won the Qcup, his complete bias towards his few favourites has been so f**king obvious, Ben Hampton does not play in any other NRL
side in 2020, but here he is in rd1 in the derby at the NEW f**kING STADIUM being named on the wing......... it was a train wreck in the making and every NQ fan could see it coming when the team was announced on the Tuesday except for the midget in charge.

aqua_duck

Coach
*premiership as in singular. Winning a premiership doesn't mean you hold on to those players forever even when they're at the back end of their careers especially when the players are only solid contributors at best in most cases and in most of the cases aside from Ponga the players that left didn't leave for massive money and the cowboys actually spent way more bringing in players externally like McLean, Holmes, Mcguire, O'Neill, etc.

Latest posts