What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

O.T. Anyone with a clue on the Leagues Club Development?

blue bags

First Grade
good sharkies progress, bulldogs looking to do the same
renovate belmore $250 million
The Canterbury Bulldogs could return to their Belmore roots, with a 25,000-seat stadium at the centre of a $250 million redevelopment plan of suburban grounds in the works, reports The Daily Telegraph.

The Bulldogs wish for Belmore to be a part of the NRL’s suburban ground strategy, which includes a modern stadium in Parramatta, and have confirmed an architect from Populous was surveying their site on Wednesday.

Populous is the biggest architectural firm in the world and have designed world leading stadiums such as Wembley Stadium and Emirates Stadium in the UK and Suncorp Stadium and Marvel Stadium in Australia.

“We certainly have started a conversation with the NRL and with architects to look at what can be done at Belmore Sports Ground,” Bulldogs CEO Andrew Hill told The Daily Telegraph.

“While it is very preliminary and subject to NSW’s stadium policy, we absolutely want Belmore to be at the front and centre of that discussion.”

The recent cancellation of the Sydney Olympic Park redevelopment has led to the Bulldogs to rethink their stadium strategy.

“We have an opportunity to look at a long-term strategy while we still have a number of years left on our ANZ deal,” Hill said.

“We have a great relationship with ANZ Stadium and while we are disappointed with the recent decision, we are looking at what opportunity there are for the club around stadiums.

“We want to be able to sit down with the NSW Government and the NRL so we can better understand what their strategy around stadia is now. If having a redeveloped ANZ stadium is not in the plan we would like the opportunity to discuss other options.”

First reports advise the land at Belmore could accommodate a 20,000 plus seat stadium, while a club-owned plot of land in Liverpool is also being considered as a different site.

“Brookvale and Penrith have been mentioned,” Hill said.

“And there is no reason Belmore can’t be. We are right on the railway line and have a long-term history of playing games and I think our fans and members deserve a new stadium at Belmore.”

As early as next week, The South Sydney Rabbithohs are expected to recommit to Olympic Park after a vote was given out to members and Homebush was preferred.

“We are still going through the results,” South Sydney CEO Blake Solley told The Daily Telegraph.

“But it is clear there is an appetite to return to ANZ.”

https://www.zerotackle.com/sydney-club-could-return-to-spiritual-home-permanently-nrl-57020/

I can't f**king I believe I move under 5 minutes from the ground and we f**king move from home for 2 years. I got like 1 game in last year FFS.

This makes no sense given the NRL want the Dragons brand but for it to be a southern coast team. You can't play the Dragons out of Kogarah full time it just wouldn't work for the southern coast, jnrs etc. Where we would put a new mini bankwest is a great question. Loftus I get makes sense. Sutherland would also. If they did build a mini bankwest at Kogarah it wouldn't be the end of the world for us if we could still host 4-5 or so games a year at home. One thing we need to do is become more of a Shire brand not just "Cronulla". The shire is f**ken huge and if everyone was behind us we could be a mega club.

Im lookimg at it from a public works perspective
Kogarah is a council asset

Is that the Centre of Excellence wraparound?
Yeah its part of it
I was gou g to mention all of what @shaggs has said.
However, reading between the lines, it appears we havent secured the final funding for that.

I forgot
T Hills on the et side will go and be replaced with concrete bleachers with grass...you know the ones..new landscaping have em all the time.

10 years ago Reefy was strongly suggesting that a stadium should be built at Loftus to cater for us and the Dragons. It made sense as it was still in our heartland and it would be close enough to half way for their two groups of fans.
A few years ago the Chinese consortium that wanted an A-league team were going to get a stadium built in Loftus, if they won selection, for that very reason, to cater for Shire, St.George and Wollongong fans.
Loftus seems to be the go, just don't go to the dunnys apparently, or maybe take the poster KnightsDragons with you..
Southern Expansion being dead has killed the chinese cash id say.
A league is cooked anyway
If we want it to not be kogarah, we need to lobby with stgeorge, ffa, aru etc to get the equivelent of bankwest built in that general vicinity.

Or, play out of shark park..until they say we cant
Surely the ambition is to be a bigger club

Quicksilver

Bench
I don’t see why we can’t stay though.

The stadium has seating on all sides. It is getting more work done. It is getting new corporate areas.

And most importantly, the people who go there want to go there.

it is adequate for purpose. This pushing for new stadiums everywhere is dumb. A stadium is simple. You sit in a seat in a concrete stand and watch football. Too much is made of the improvements provided by new stadia.

At the end of the day it’s a simple chunk of concrete with seats, toilets and food shops.

blue bags

First Grade
I don’t see why we can’t stay though.

The stadium has seating on all sides. It is getting more work done. It is getting new corporate areas.

And most importantly, the people who go there want to go there.

it is adequate for purpose. This pushing for new stadiums everywhere is dumb. A stadium is simple. You sit in a seat in a concrete stand and watch football. Too much is made of the improvements provided by new stadia.

At the end of the day it’s a simple chunk of concrete with seats, toilets and food shops.
shark park is very different and special, to nearly every other ground, cause the leagues club is right there, part of the ground, and its a massive community hub, with 1,000s of apartments, shops

Craigshark

First Grade
Far out, it really does seem like a missed opportunity not just knocking that whole eastern side down and doing it all again

SharkShocked

Bench
We were on deaths door were we not from a financial perspective?

Not a surprise we were unable to fully maximise the potential / rewards.

Just need to hope the current mob never put us in the position we’ve been in many times before.

yeah you need leverage. we had no leverage. you go back and listen to sharkcast when sam interviewed damian irvine. we were dead twice essentially. we got out of this what we could.

we have a team to follow in the national comp, we will have 2 licenced clubs, we have more land purchased. we have a secure future for now.
i believe in who's running the place now.

as to the ground, it is shit. we need funding. that problem has not gone away. however, a new stadium was never part of the development plans

shadowboxer

First Grade
Time heals a lot of wounds and as rightly pointed out - it’s been a long and arduous journey. Not sure how the club has gotten to where it is. Dumb luck maybe.
Hang on for another generation of time and maybe some state government funding will be back on the table, but is a long way off

We just have to keep investing wisely and building our asset base. Yes it is a slower burn but it is possible that one day the Club can fund most things it wants to do without having to beg to the Government.

I like the move to purchase that building in the mall and use it for admin, retail shop and more direct contact with the public.

Love the move to purchase the Golf Club. Not only for the revenue but for the potential for further development.

And don’t sleep on the new Leagues Club once it’s completed. With that amount of infrastructure around it. It should definitely be a great cash cow for the Club.

Just keep on using revenues to make strategic purchases and the potential for the future of this Club is enormous.

Last edited:

Latest posts