What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Who are we buying for 2021 onwards

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Hopefully we have a couple of try before you buy players coming in soon.

Because if the plan is to replace Fus, Ken and Paasi with Beale, Pompey and Burr we're royally f**ked in the 'A'

JJ

Immortal
Hopefully we have a couple of try before you buy players coming in soon.

Because if the plan is to replace Fus, Ken and Paasi with Beale, Pompey and Burr we're royally f**ked in the 'A'
Meh, we lost to abtw last night that had already effectively made those replacements

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Rumoured movement everywhere, but not more going out than in.

- Green gone by August
- Hiku and Burr being shopped to ESL
- Blair asked to retire or leave
- Digging our heels in over Rudolf
- Beale already told to go
- Interest in CHN

SmashEmBro

Juniors

- Green gone by August
- Interest in CHN

A lot of those are very interesting. Burr and Hiku I would be happy to stay at the club.
Blair, ironically is playing the best he ever has for us and now we're telling him to fug off?
CHN I understand, but I don't really get when we have signed players like Murchie and Curran..

I think in order to have a balanced team that can really have a dig in finals, you need 2 or 3 rookies who play really well or are solid enough, meaning you can spend your money else where.

Katoa and Herbert are 2 of those for me, and potentially Roache on a very minimal contract given he is so injury prone. Even add Murchie in there as our tackle bot, and potentially with Blair, Green, Beale and a few others going, we could get 2 really good signings and another decent signing with that kind of coin

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
Don’t think cap space has really ever been an issue when you consider big contracts such as Mannering, Johnson and Luke have come off the books in the last couple of years with stuff all replacements and now you add Greens deal on top of that

Just gotta figure out a way to attract the big fish

Cold Roses

Juniors

- Green gone by August
- Interest in CHN

Two of the more interesting ones. Regardless of how well Blair is playing at the moment, I think it’s the right move going forward.

CHN is tricky, what he did wasn’t illegal, but morally was a pretty grubby thing. He would add a genuine attacking threat from the edge, and would allow Harris to stay at Lock (or develop Katoa there which I feel like could be a great move).

Rich102

Staff member
Isaiah Papali’i could be on his way out of the Warriors at the end of the season.

Papali’i is off contract at the end of 2020 and although he has been offered a new contract, Stuff understands there’s a difference of opinion between the club and the player on what his best position is.

The one-test Kiwi sees his future as a second rower, but the Warriors feel he’s better suited to playing lock.

Because of this, the 21-year-old Papali’i has decided to test the market and see if other NRL clubs would be interested in him.

Even though there’s a permanent coach to appoint and a pressing need to find five loan players, the club have been busy behind the scenes shaping next year’s roster.

Blake Green, Gerard Beale and Papali’i aren’t the only Warriors players looking for a new club for next season, with a dozen players out of contract.

For some, the writing is already on the wall, but for others, they will be playing for their futures over the back end of the season.

One of those whose future is hanging in the balance is five-eighth Adam Keighran.

He’s off-contract at the end of the season and hasn’t been able to help his prospects because of a knee injury picked up when the team were in quarantine in Tamworth.

The 23-year-old Keighran was the Warriors’ initial choice to play five-eighth when Shaun Johnson left the Warriors after the 2018 season.

But after a few games he lost his spot to Chanel Harris-Tavita, then Kodi Nikorima joined the club.

He’ll be a handy player for the rest of the season when he’s back playing again in a couple of weeks, but there’s nothing secured for him after that.

“I’ve had little chats with my manager here and there, but no real talks at the moment,” Keighran said.

“It’s a bit hard being injured and this whole Covid situation, with exposure and things like that.

“But I’m just hoping to get back on the field and play some good footy, get a bit more of a look in.”

Players who are unlikely to be back next season includeTaane Milne, Jackson Frei and Leivaha Pulu.

Centres Peta Hiku and Patrick Herbert are both off contract and Stuff understands the Warriors are looking for upgrades in these positions, so both players may find themselves needing to pick up contracts in Super League.

Hooker Nathaniel Roache is well liked at the club, but has played just 15 games over the last four seasons. He is due back soon, after more setbacks recently, and he’ll have to play outstanding footy, given that Wayde Egan and Karl Lawton are already signed for next season.

Lachlan Burr could also be leaving, especially considering he already appears to be on the outer and is struggling to make it from the extended interchange bench.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/authors/david-long
Meanwhile, it has been reported that the Warriors are interested in signing Kiwi Corey Harawira-Naera, who wants to leave the Bulldogs.

Harawira-Naera is unhappy with the lack of support he received from the Bulldogs while he and Jayden Okunbor were deregistered for inviting two schoolgirls back to the team’s hotel.

The NRL’s appeal committee this week overturned their registrations and instead Harawira-Naera was given a 10-week retrospective ban, plus at $15,000 fine.

The Dragons, Tigers and Warriors are reportedly interested in picking up the 25-year-old.

However, Stuff understands the Warriors aren’t interested in Harawira-Naera.

With Ben Murdoch-Masila joining next season and Eliesa Katoa looking like becoming one of the best players in the game, there are higher priorities in recruitment than adding another second rower of Harawira-Naera’s level to the team.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/leagu...ooking-at-move-away-from-warriors-next-season

Rich102

Staff member
Harawira-Naera has said no to the Warriors.

Hope someone else signs Papali'i.

Big Marn

Juniors
bloody hard to judge these fringe players when there is no reserve grade. Another year of reserve grade can be the making of some players, so a few have missed that opportunity. Be interesting to see what happens.

Big Marn

Juniors
Harawira-Naera has said no to the Warriors.

Hope someone else signs Papali'i.
he looked like a capable 2nd rower at the start of the 2018 season but then his body shape changed in the 2019 preseason and he went backwards. Signs of life recently but maybe not enough. Im sure he would get some interest from another NRL club. Our cast offs have a history of making good at other clubs. eg. CNK, SST. Even Lisone looks better at Titans.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
Lol with Papalii.

Deciding to test the market?
Sounds like he thinks he's better than he is, I'd withdraw the offer and let him go

BLN2

Juniors
I wonder why he thinks he's a second rower? Was awful last season when SK kept playing him there despite being real bad. Makes sense why he was picked there now, considering he was one of Kearneys favourites.

He's an undersized prop at best. Him and Tevaga can't be in the same pack together, and Jazz has more upside in my eyes (bigger motor, has an offload and decent ball skill).

I would keep him, when considering the investment the club has put in him. But wouldn't be on top 17 money that's for sure.

I think the club is making the right calls on paper, in terms of Green, Beale, Blair, Papalii and even Herbert/Hiku. I'm just worried about who we're going to replace them with... I seriously think we would be silly not to keep Hiku and Herbert for next season at least. They are both decent players, and would be good value. Hiku even on the wing could add something different to the side.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Out of that lot I wouldn't be against keeping Herbert for depth.

I don't think we would get to keep Hiku on a value deal and I'm not convinced he'd be worth what he wants, which is probably why he's being shopped to ESL.