What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Ben Hunt

Old Timer

Coach
I didn't compare Seibold to Mary mate. That would be daft.
As to Seibold succeeding as a 1st grade coach, I will wait and see. Like I said, he has the benefit of coaching the most prominent and resourced club in the country. I dont get the "he can coach" sentiment, when he is only 2 years into his career. One with a fine Souths squad and one with the Broncos. He wont get BNE into the top 4 next year imho.
If he can resolve the Boyd fiasco, hold onto his forwards and get a half decent 7, I actually think he will make it next year.
There is just something about him that appeals to my footy logic (talking myself up here) and I actually like the best of what they did last year and think he can resolve the worst of what they did.
His biggest issues will be the old players interfering and the Bennett hangover albeit Bennett's best at the Bronco's was a long time ago.

BLM01

First Grade
We were never a top 8 let alone a top 4 side brother. Prior to season kick off, I said we would finish 12th.
Combination of squad / depth / and coach.

I do agree that if Seibold cant do it, then he will be replaced with someone who can.
You were a better judge than me I said 6th at best for us down to 12th but Mary never ceases to amaze

lynx000

Juniors
Im amazed at how highly this guy is rated.

For someone who has coached a total of 1 year ( at Souths), before the fiasco of the Bennett swap, what has he achieved? During the whole process he acted like a spoilt brat.

Yes a decent 2018, with a very good squad.

He "may" come good, but it's as if he is in the elite category already. He is not.
He f**ked up in 2019... period..
Hard to disagree with any of that. We wait to see what happens in 2020. Some of his selection decisions were baffling in the least, if not downright insanity. What caused that is the question.

lynx000

Juniors
Cant believe that Broncos thought Milford was a game managing half...wait there... he is fullback now
Ahhh that was Uncle Wayne's idea after he had to bring Darius home and that meant fullback was not open for Milford.

PS I was not having a shot at your club, more at McGregor. Hunt was damaged goods and at least around some of the fan base we had realised that he was not a game managing half back, but more a running 5/8th or perhaps a hooker. Whilst he had Widdop with him it might have worked having him as the half. With Norman, not so sure.

lynx000

Juniors
I will judge him after a few seasons, but he inherited a good roster, many calling a top 4.

He made the changes and let go of players.

They made the 8 by the skin of their arse. The only side in the finals playing with a minus differential.

This is the biggest Club in the NRL, with resources others can only dream of. Lets see if he is as good as he thinks he is. Cause he does talk himself up.
Again, good points which I largely agree with. He talks a good game, hopefully the team starts to show that next year, but I am starting to have some doubts.

getsmarty

Immortal
Time for Hunt to reclaim halfback jersey: Joey

George Vlotis
1 hour ago

Eighth Immortal Andrew Johns believes it's time for Ben Hunt to reclaim the No.7 jersey and move back into his natural halfback role for St George Illawarra.

Hunt was given the punt from the Dragons' starting roster after a string of consecutive losses earlier this season.

Coming off the bench, the former Maroons star impressed in the hooker's role and has since found himself starting in the No.9 jersey, pushing skipper Cam McInnes into lock.

With the ship now steadied, Johns claimed it was time for coach Paul McGregor to revert Hunt to his natural position and unleash his skill-set to exploit the new faster ruck.

BB16zs5e.img
:copyright: Getty Ben Hunt
"I just think he's a more creative player, at clubland he's an out and out halfback." He told Wide World of Sports' Immortal Behaviour.

"We know he's been struggling the last couple of years, but the way the ruck is now with the quicker ruck, he's a running halfback, you know when he gets those sausage dog legs going, he's incredibly hard to tackle.

"I just think the way the game is going now, it really suits the way he plays. They've adjusted the way they're playing so it would suit him. I think at club level he's an out and out half-back, at rep level he's a dummy half."

The move would allow McInnes to revert back to his favoured hooker's role, despite an impressive stint at lock.

BB15B4Tn.img
:copyright: Provided by Wide World of Sports Dragons star Ben Hunt speaks on his position shift.
Johns had nothing but praise for the Dragons skipper who has been more than willing to handle any situation thrown at him.

"If you had 13 Cameron McInnes' in your side every week, you'd never get beat," Johns said.

"That's the sort of player he is. And the best thing, he doesn't jump up and down and say, 'I don't want to play lock, get my manager I wanna get out'. He takes his medicine, there's a lesson there."

https://www.msn.com/en-au/sport/mor...t-to-reclaim-halfback-jersey-joey/ar-BB16zs5g

Spazer

Juniors
I disagree, I think Clunes flat passing game is better suited for the games current meta. Clune's direction and passing (and Dufty's) is one reason why Lomax and Aitken are running better lines. If anything Hunt should be wearing no. 6 imo

possm

Coach
7 - Clune 6 - Hunt... allow Clune to direct the team and allow Hunt to play his natural running game...it really is that simple....
I'd say that Hunt has had his time at 7 and now needs to do extremely well at 9 or find himself at another Club. With Green leaving the Warriors at season's end, I would not be surprised to see them make a play for Norman or Hunt.

getsmarty

Immortal
I'd say that Hunt has had his time at 7 and now needs to do extremely well at 9 or find himself at another Club. With Green leaving the Warriors at season's end, I would not be surprised to see them make a play for Norman or Hunt.

Hunt has never been used correctly by mcGregor...he is a running half...play him along with Clune organizing...Norman will be hard to offload...

hazzbeen

Bench
This year maybe....As i said not yet...give him another year or 2 then judge
He inherited a mixture of an ageing squad and lot of good young ones with limited experience...with little in between....I predict under Siebold they will be better next year and right up there in 2-3 years
Remember as bad as they were they finished 8th and around a level which mimics the Dragons better years.
Can't compare the two , Mary has had 7 years and counting ..... Give Siebold 7 years then compare ....

SaintPeter

Juniors
Ben Hunt is a classic example of McNoideas coaching credentials, or lack thereof.
This one issue (among many!!) of, giving up on BH as a half, and moving him to hooker
should be enough for any reasonable board/ management representative to seriously wonder if they have a fair dinkum coach or an imposter, AND do something about it.
We all know Ben Hunt has ability and talent, but the coach at SGI has no idea how to use it, grow it, develop it, improve it, foster it, etc.
Sad indictment on the club in general.

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
7 - Clune 6 - Hunt... allow Clune to direct the team and allow Hunt to play his natural running game...it really is that simple....
Unless im missing something Clune appears to be exclusively playing on the left and pretty much playing a 5/8 role despite his number. I would like to him move fully into a halfback role now that he has his confidence up. In saying that Norman played his best game for us on the weekend and the combinations are growing so with only 10 rounds left we may as well keep it as is. If we can get over this bogey game and then smash the Sharks which we bloody well better do as visitors at Kogarah I honestly believe we can scrape into the 8.