What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Round 9 vs the Sharks

betcats

Referee
How far, in driving times, is Parkes/Forbes, from Penrith? Sorry for the dumb question, and thanks in advance.

It’s roughly 3 to 4 hours drive. As a kid we went from Penrith out a town near orange to visit family quite a bit, Forbes wasn’t to far away.

chrisD

Coach
Edwards made a try saving cover tackle yesterday that he wasn't entitled to make. I can't remember the last time a panther fullback did that. Hopefully like his backline passing it is just the start of an improvement.

soc123_au

Staff member
Edwards made a try saving cover tackle yesterday that he wasn't entitled to make. I can't remember the last time a panther fullback did that. Hopefully like his backline passing it is just the start of an improvement.

His effort in defence has been a constant since his debut. Even when he had that terrible run of form he never gave up on a play. The thing I am liking is how his passing game is starting to look good. If it keeps developing I could see him on a similar tier to Gutho, which isn't a bad place to be.

Pomoz

Bench
I know we always talk about Wade Graham being that one that got away, but does he actually do much outside of Origin? He’d be on big money, His stats across the season are pretty bog average. Went missing big time yesterday.
I always thought he was overrated. He is a skilful ball player, but when you look at his output he doesn't really deliver that much. His career averages at the Sharks are 103m, 26 tackles and 3 MT per game. Hardly a prodigious output for a back rower. By way of comparison, Yeo is averaging 98m, 27 tackles and 1 MT per game and at the age of 25 is coming into his prime. Already he delivers more consistency in tackling.

I had a look at his attack stats. Since 2013 he has never made enough try assists to be in the top 50 players in the NRL. Typically the 50th player is making 6 or 7 assists for the year. He has made the top 50 line breaks list twice, in 2016 with 10 and in 2017 with 7, placing him equal 20th and 40th respectively. He made the top 50 for tackle breaks once in 2015 with 74. He has also made the top 50 for penalties conceded.

When you look at it overall, it is hard to see why so many people rate him so highly and say it was terrible we let him go. He would have been a useful payer fo us, but I doubt very much he would have made much difference to where we have finished between 2013 and 2017.

At the moment he looks like he is unfit and so overweight, he has possibly eaten his winger. Has anybody seen Graham and Mulitalo in the same room recently? Just saying......

Last edited:

Crashtest

Juniors
Let’s not kid ourselves, centre isn’t a position we’ve solved yet. Crichton looks great on the left, but the right centre is still very much up in the air.

I think yesterday’s game confirmed we have solved the centre position. Naden right centre, Crichton left.

We looked so much better yesterday with an attacking option in Naden on the right. Naden is a threat in the air, can score himself, and his passes to Staines show how far he has come since last season of not being able to pass to his winger. His defence is still a work in progress, but is improving as well.

It was great to finally see some right side plays, which then freed up more space for Crichton on left once the Sharks had to adjust.

The_Frog

First Grade
We are very excited by this afternoon and it is always great to beat the Sharks but it has to be said they were woeful. I am not trying to take anything away from our performance but the Sharks were frankly woeful even if they had some injury issues during the game which made it difficult for them.
Something I always say is that when a score of 56 is made, it says more about the side scored against than the side scoring the 56. The 24 says something about us. This would be sufficient points to lose a lot of games. Having said that the Roosters did beat Manly by exactly the same score in 2018 and it didn't stop them winning the title.

I think the coach nailed it. We get a good start, the players think it's going to be an easy day and let the opposition back. It happened against the Dragons as well. I'd like to see him really send them out for a kill next game against the Cowboys. Make a statement, as Trent Robinson would say.

I think yesterday’s game confirmed we have solved the centre position. Naden right centre, Crichton left.

We looked so much better yesterday with an attacking option in Naden on the right. Naden is a threat in the air, can score himself, and his passes to Staines show how far he has come since last season of not being able to pass to his winger. His defence is still a work in progress, but is improving as well.

It was great to finally see some right side plays, which then freed up more space for Crichton on left once the Sharks had to adjust.

It’s definitely an improvement, don’t get me wrong. I just think Naden has more work to do to make that position his own. He’s still doing some odd things in defence, but there’s signs his passing has improved which is good.

WestyLife

First Grade
It’s definitely an improvement, don’t get me wrong. I just think Naden has more work to do to make that position his own. He’s still doing some odd things in defence, but there’s signs his passing has improved which is good.

Naden for Mansour Burton centre?

Kilkenny

Coach
Actually Kilenny, you are taking things away from the performance. The Panthers actually thrashed the Sharks, a typical bogey team in years gone by. Stop being a Kevin and enjoy the win.

I loved the 60 odd minutes where we ripped a poor sharks side to shreds and scored 10 tries.

The other 15 minutes or so we were actually very disappointing and against the better sides they will make you pay as did Parramatta earlier this season.

I did enjoy the win but the fact is there were aspects of our performance that were simply not good enough.

age.s

First Grade

I agree with all of this except the idea that Nadens defense is improving. He's pretty consistently good for one poor effort each week. He was very lucky Edwards bailed him out after missing Goodwin yesterday. He might be good enough with the ball that it doesn't matter though. He was a monster yesterday, albeit in a game where we had a ton of possession and few errors.

I'm more than happy for him to have the spot over Whare for the rest of the year. Just worried that against the best teams a centre pairing of Naden and Crichton will give the opposition too many defensive weaknesses to target.

Latest posts