What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
First up - it is finally good to see a side that appears to be settling now, especially the spine. Albeit it's all still a work in progress.

It was probably a smart idea to ease Ben Hunt into the 9 role by bringing him off the bench for the first few games. Without a shadow of a doubt it was his best game for us in a good 12 months.

Why Dufty was shelved throughout 2019 and was not the prospective number 1 ahead of 2020 is beyond me. He appears to be developing new aspects of his game which are only going to benefit us going forward. He has made a few errors along the way while trying new things, but the head has never once gone down and has been having a red hot go.

Like most of us, I am not convinced that all of this is McGregors' doing though. By now, Dufty probably would have been thrown under the bus and shelved again if it wasn't for someone else pulling strings on the side.

BINGO................his mates in the press are still protecting him....

Qapm

Juniors
Let’s just cut the bullshit. Does anyone really think McMoron has all of the sudden a game plan.

The use of the bench should give us all an Indication that he has no input into anything.
Stick to painting the sheds you fkg moron

Figured this has happened at no point in the History of McGregordom:
- Dufty in all sorts, hurting,
- Saints get a penalty
- excellent defensive set by the Saints (Ravalawa)
- rolling up the field then interchange with Merrin and Kerr. Two fresh forwards then an un-Dragon like try immediately after.

If there is a coaching committee with Flanno & Mary and this works, then I'm all for it.

Well done to the boys

qld redvee

Juniors
on fox last night James Hooper said that the dragons attack had Flanno all over it and he (flanno) was doing attack and defence....
So supercoach after being told in the Gould review to get hands on with the team ,,, has effectively been self distanced by the board --- selection panel ... now attack ...
so its like we have said supercoach is coach to only front the pressers and bark into the 2 way ( after flanno has advised him.. ) And it sure looked like Flanno was a bit more involved / interested in the box yesterday .. All these changes WE KNOW couldnt have come from supercoach so I just hope the shep and flanno show are working behind the scenes on recruitment and retention -- who knows maybe just maybe 2021 could be a better year for us ......
anyway what else can be taken away from supercoach - apart from the obvious - THE TITLE OF COACH .....

denis preston

First Grade
on fox last night James Hooper said that the dragons attack had Flanno all over it and he (flanno) was doing attack and defence....
So supercoach after being told in the Gould review to get hands on with the team ,,, has effectively been self distanced by the board --- selection panel ... now attack ...
so its like we have said supercoach is coach to only front the pressers and bark into the 2 way ( after flanno has advised him.. ) And it sure looked like Flanno was a bit more involved / interested in the box yesterday .. All these changes WE KNOW couldnt have come from supercoach so I just hope the shep and flanno show are working behind the scenes on recruitment and retention -- who knows maybe just maybe 2021 could be a better year for us ......
anyway what else can be taken away from supercoach - apart from the obvious - THE TITLE OF COACH .....
Agree QR, as long as he is not around next year is all i care.

Paddles

Juniors
I thought there were four outstanding performances against Manly:

1. Rava - belted people like T Sims did when the team was flying in previous years. Put opposition on the backfoot, and had outside backs thinking twice.
2. Lomax - key touches of class leading to several tries - the flick pass, the intercepts, the bat back from the bomb
3. Dufty - speed and creativity - playing as the other genuine half alongside Clune who organises the show
4. Kerr - Fast and damaging in the middle with quick play the balls.

Others were good too, but these four were leaders and had big plays at critical moments that lifted the team.

Something they have in common: all have been dropped/scapegoated/screwed around multiple times by McGregor over the past year and more.

1. Rava - belted people like T Sims did when the team was flying in previous years. Put opposition on the backfoot, and had outside backs thinking twice.
2. Lomax - key touches of class leading to several tries - the flick pass, the intercepts, the bat back from the bomb
3. Dufty - speed and creativity - playing as the other genuine half alongside Clune who organises the show
4. Kerr - Fast and damaging in the middle with quick play the balls.

Others were good too, but these four were leaders and had big plays at critical moments that lifted the team.

Something they have in common: all have been dropped/scapegoated/screwed around multiple times by McGregor over the past year and more.

Duffy gave an interview on mmm last week and said words to the effect that his recent good form can be attributed to knowing he has a place in the side.

He commented that the external pressure has been high and he does much less social media.

Not so long ago, he was talking Titans etc.

The internal de-maryfication of the side seems to be adding value, although the Manly side was decimated.

The last 5 minutes was a shocker for Des. Allowing the killer blows. Total dominance as good sides do.
Any weakness was preyed and then feasted upon without any concerns of conscience. Love it!

It was your best game in years. It was good footy.

Last edited:

Qapm

Juniors

1. Rava -
2. Lomax -
3. Dufty -
4. Kerr -

Looks like Mary needs that strong pimp hand to keep him in check. The St. George Dragons Board and management, which can eternally lick my balz is responsible letting Mary be Mary but it seems we might have order. If this Flanno/Mary construct gets the wins, then I'm for it.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
First up - it is finally good to see a side that appears to be settling now, especially the spine. Albeit it's all still a work in progress.

It was probably a smart idea to ease Ben Hunt into the 9 role by bringing him off the bench for the first few games. Without a shadow of a doubt it was his best game for us in a good 12 months.

Why Dufty was shelved throughout 2019 and was not the prospective number 1 ahead of 2020 is beyond me. He appears to be developing new aspects of his game which are only going to benefit us going forward. He has made a few errors along the way while trying new things, but the head has never once gone down and has been having a red hot go.

Like most of us, I am not convinced that all of this is McGregors' doing though. By now, Dufty probably would have been thrown under the bus and shelved again if it wasn't for someone else pulling strings on the side.
Nothing of this is mcregors doing, he's proved that many times.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
Not a bad gig for 800k a year. Mary's got a rich uncle

Did anyone else hear Mary in the post game press conference say he was told during the week that Kaide Ellis was coming to the dragons?

Really seems that Mary is really just the dummy and some else is the ventriloquist.

Lol, Mary would be last person in the club officialdom to know who is being recruited.

Yesterday, ye old St George Dragons raised its head in defiance of this horrific era in the clubs history.

For the youngsters on line today, once upon a time, yesterday’s performance was the norm and realistic expectation of each game played.

It was not about jagging the odd win against a team of reserve graders, it was about the absolute commitment to the total slaughter and footballing death of the opposition. Fear!

It was not just about winning, but demoralising and wiping out everything the opponent thought that they stood for. They can take their undeserved pride and self love, and shove it up their proverbial.

If their fans weren’t in tears on the way home, it was considered to be unfinished business.

And the two try’s at the end, was just the way of ensuring that the other side, their clubs and fans, appreciated that resistance was useless and they should not have bothered turning up to play.

It was only after the humiliation was entirely and inextricably embedded into the opponents heads, that any Dragon could feel remotely comfortable.

A good win like that against the self loving and arrogant flogs from Manly was cause for much celebration and cheer.

There were no excuses in those days.

Hard for you kids to believe, but this was the way of life.

Smurf

Juniors
It’s interesting watching the coaches box when we actually play well and win.
That’s quite easy to remember.
That Semi v’s The Broncos and last night.
Mary looks totally bewildered , like wow this is good , how did this happen.
He is a dead set card board cutout of a coach.

Hopefully last night was a reflection on Flannos involvement

Gareth67

First Grade
Agree with the thought that Flanagan had a very large input into the side / win , we could all see the gradual improvement over the last few weeks .

And regardless of the depleted Manly line-up it was most pleasing to see the boys show what they are actually capable of in their attack . Also the win was a shot in the arm for most supporters , the game at times did bring back memories of the 48-18 flogging of the broncs a couple of years back .

As to our Mary , well what can one say ? Either his game plan actually worked to perfection ( ? ) or the mechanics of the win was indeed manufactured by someone with more nouse than our maestro , either way we all had a smile on our faces at the end of the day .

Last edited:

qld redvee

Juniors
Did anyone else hear Mary in the post game press conference say he was told during the week that Kaide Ellis was coming to the dragons?

Really seems that Mary is really just the dummy and some else is the ventriloquist.
RedV,
He certainly did and then said that he would have to go and look into what Kaide is as a player . Its obvious that supercoach is on the outer
did you also pick up in the presser when he mentioned rava and said " you have to persist with players " I wish that philosophy was around when Duffty Mann Lomax and others were part of supercoaches yo yo theory -- after 7 years of banishing players willy nilly HOW suddenly is it a "pick and stick " selection ?? Just strengthens my feeling that he has been stripped of pretty well everything

The results appear to correlate with the period in which Mary has been forced to stand aside of selecting players.

I’d like to credit Flanagan but he did not appear to bring much in defence or attack in the earlier games as an assistant.

I thought even with Marys bizarre selection circus (trying to screw up every player emotionally) as individuals, they lacked genuine intent.

It’s been good to watch some success unfold, but Mary hasn’t been able to capitalise and lead the boys onwards for a long time. If the wonderful game on the weekend can’t offer any residual benefit next outing, this well earned and precious boost to morale will plunge off the cliff.

But I don’t trust the eels and I’m hopeful of a showing.

Mary or not, it would be great to smash their asses.

I’d love for you to out tough them. You won’t beat them playing nice. Flog the living daylights out of them and try to win besides.

They allegedly helped Mary get re-signed. They deserve a solid whipping. Wreak havoc. The team won’t need any more motivation than that.

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
Jusy sayin'

CHN and JO from the Dogs have had there contracts reinstated by the NRL.

Their coach has just walked.

Our form of late coincides with our Assistant coach having (or appears to have) a greater involvement in the team in attack, defense and team selections.

As I said, just sayin'.