What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rd9: Parra v Knights GAME DAY thread 12/7/20

Noise

Coach
True, but when he gets up with the wobbles (aimed to getting a sympathy penalty) then he needs to go off immediately for a HIA. I thought the Dr was obliged t o do this because of HIA protocols ?
Nope. The on field trainer has a quick series of tests that he does on the player. If the player passes (which they often do)then he stays on. The NRL doctor looks at it in the mean time and then decides if he needs to be taken for a HIA. This is when most players get taken from the field.

TheRam

Coach
True, it’s the first time I’ve posted much in the Eels game day forum in a while. Don’t think I will be doing again for a while either.

Mate, I didn't mean to put you off, but sometimes we all need someone to point us in the right direction when we need it.

Is telling tired old joke telling a major crime? Of course not, but that one has well and truly been skinned to death and it's bones are turning to dust.

blue bags

First Grade
If it was worthy of a penalty , he should have sin binned the knights players as was a try scoring situation
thats right, knights player , did a professional foul, in a try scoring moment
automatic sin bin . and penalty awarded to eels . maybe eels could have went for tap kick, instead of the 2 point kick, with knights being just 12 players for 10 mins

IFR33K

Coach
I agree - Lane did a good job.

The NRL app has hos stats as 108m, 42 tackles, and 2 offloads.

Just because he isn't breaking the line like last year doesn't mean he isn't contributing.

And a lot of Lane's runs were tough runs, coming out of our own end.

I reckon he's going a great job.

He runs and tackles with no aggression. NBrown should rough him up a little

eels_fan

First Grade
Great news.

Ponga is a protected species by the refs, glad the judiciary for once gets it right

emjaycee

Coach
Annesley has agreed that the ref should not have "piggy backed" on Gutho's captains challenge yesterday but also supported the fact that the bunker can "find" other things in the course of reviewing a Captains Challenge. Whether or not they would have gone back as far as the "obstruction" when it was not a try review is questionable. Either way, we never got an answer to the actual challenge Gutho raised.

Source: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/graham-annesley-weekly-football-briefing---round-9/

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not sure why Lane is getting bashed. His stats were very similar to Matto’s.

I wouldn't say Lane is getting bashed - but I do agree that I am a little puzzled at the criticism levelled at him.

Lane probably made a few more linebreaks last year, and popped more offloads, and we latched onto that; flashy plays are always more memorable than tough, grinding plays.

Sonny-Bill Williams will always be remembered more than Nathan Hibdmarsh, for example, because SBW had more speed, an offload, and a shoulder charge - whereas there was little flash about Hindy's game; he was just all heart, and determination.

Noise

Coach
I wouldn't say Lane is getting bashed - but I do agree that I am a little puzzled at the criticism levelled at him.

Lane probably made a few more linebreaks last year, and popped more offloads, and we latched onto that; flashy plays are always more memorable than tough, grinding plays.

Sonny-Bill Williams will always be remembered more than Nathan Hibdmarsh, for example, because SBW had more speed, an offload, and a shoulder charge - whereas there was little flash about Hindy's game; he was just all heart, and determination.
Also SBW won 2 premierships and was at one point probably the best player in the game.

TheRam

Coach
"Other people can't say things I don't like!"

Stick to the game day threads mate, way less sad sucks ruining it for others

I or Suity didn't say he should be cancelled or banned Captain Hyperbole, did we?

He is entitled to be as boring as he likes, but by the same token anyone is equally entitled to criticize him if they so please.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
I thought it was another gutsy and relieving win yesterday. I think we've tested ourselves so many times this year. The commitment in defense is incredible this year. Newcastle certainly threw a lot at us, particularly against Jai Field. And I was sort of worried about them targeting Blake but I thought he had a good game in defense, obviously shook up Ponga a few times. Good news that he got off. I'm a bit dumbfounded how nothing was done about Brown's hit. Sure it wasnt high but I thought it was late enough to warrant a penalty. So many things went against but at least we werent frustrated and didnt panic.

Still on top of the table, oh how sweet it is.