What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Your top 5 overrated players of all time?

Bunji Marshall after he won a comp.

He’s been living off that GF win from a decade and half ago and we all know how that story has gone ever since.

to be fair he plays for a club who has been living off that season for 15 years. Whenever we miss the finals the club will roll out 2-3 of those players at the next function. Not to mention almost half of the players that took the field that day have left the club and been brought back further down the line (Richards, Fitzhenry, Marshall, Farah, Skandalis, Halatau, Fulton, as well as Elford who reneged on a deal to move elsewhere in 2006 to stay at the club). Pretty much everyone else wound up playing for Cronulla or Huddersfield.

Sad thing is most of the fans eat that shit up with a spoon (which we somehow never won).

dogslife

Coach
Benji did that flick pass in the grand final, how on earth could he be overrated? That pass is still getting a run, it should overshadow all his other work!

So in a Competition where half of the competition make the top 8 every year.

Since the 2005 GF win the Tigpies have made the top 8 twice and failed to do so 12 times.

And people are trying to convince me since 2005 Bunji Marshall hasn’t been overrated?

I’m sorry as a “Super Star” Rugba League player.

He’s been pretty much a non event since that 2005 GF win.

The Rosco

Bench
Benji is the only bloke in the past 20 yrs or so that introduced something that was actually new to the game. Something never seen before.
His step was never seen on an NRL field before him. Copied by a million kids, and attempted to be copied by some NRL players.
At his debut game, after seeing him step in mid air and confuse the vagina off every player near him . . . I said to myself "what the fkk was that ?!"
I have never said that towards the sharks.
Except when Gallen would again hog the ball 7m from the line. But it had a different inflection.
But I am entranced by the plastics on your avatar.
On your other point . . . the team has been ordinary. You can't blame Benji for that.

dogslife

Coach
I said he’s been overrated since the 2005 GF.
tenor.gif

Sometimes sarcasm doesn't translate well on the internet

Benji is the only bloke in the past 20 yrs or so that introduced something that was actually new to the game. Something never seen before.
His step was never seen on an NRL field before him. Copied by a million kids, and attempted to be copied by some NRL players.
At his debut game, after seeing him step in mid air and confuse the vagina off every player near him . . . I said to myself "what the fkk was that ?!"
I have never said that towards the sharks.
Except when Gallen would again hog the ball 7m from the line. But it had a different inflection.
But I am entranced by the plastics on your avatar.
On your other point . . . the team has been ordinary. You can't blame Benji for that.

You got to get out more Rosco.

Plenty of brilliant attacking Sharks players.

Just YouTube any of the following for starters.

Val Holmes

David Peachey

ET

Steve Rogers.

You’ll see plenty of freakish stuff.

But hey you were captivated by Paul Gallen so it might be a hard sell.

TheDalek079

Bench
So in a Competition where half of the competition make the top 8 every year.

Since the 2005 GF win the Tigpies have made the top 8 twice and failed to do so 12 times.

And people are trying to convince me since 2005 Bunji Marshall hasn’t been overrated?

I’m sorry as a “Super Star” Rugba League player.

He’s been pretty much a non event since that 2005 GF win.

He also was away from the tigers for some of those seasons. In that time he got the dragons and broncos into final series

He also was away from the tigers for some of those seasons. In that time he got the dragons and broncos into final series

Hey your right he was with the Dragons three seasons.

The they finished 11th 2014, 8th 2015 &11th 2016.

The year with the Broncos he played 13 games mostly off the interchange bench and a non factor that season.

I want to ask - any reason you think Brown, Gutherson, and RCG are over-rated?

I'm not having a go - I'm genuinely curious.

The stats for those 3 compare pretty favourably to their respective positional leaders.

No worries mate..

Re Gutherson, I believe that there’s at least 5 fullbacks ahead of him in the comp. and a recent player poll seems to agree. He was asking for big bucks last season to re-sign with the eels, which I think wasnt warranted at all, not even close. He is a good fullback and can create great opportunities but in the games I’ve seen (which isn’t all Eels games) he’s been ok enough but have been some error-riddled games, including some big-uns. Maybe I’ve missed a lot of his great games but he’s a guy the commentators rave about - and sometimes not long after he’s blown an opportunity or dropped a ball.

Campbell-Gillard has never been the same since he played Origin and broke his jaw. That can happen to a player, and I get why. But he’s nowhere near the player of 3-4 years ago in my opinion. But has a strong moustache.

Brown. I honestly haven’t seen what a lot of others see. Had been hearing big wraps on him before I saw him play and while he was ok enough I thought he was as good as any number of backrowers going around, just a bit more fiery. So it’s more that I’d heard the hype and what I’ve seen doesn’t befit it. I’d have guys like Josh Jackson, Finucane, Wade Graham, and about a dozen others over him every day of the week. But that’s just my opinion.

All that said, there was a guy I used to think was highly underwhelming to me a few years ago when everyone was raving about him - especially Andrew Johns... it was Tom Trbojevic. For whatever reason whenever I watched a manly game he was riddled with errors, which overshadowed anything good he was doing. I’d estimate I’d watch every 2nd or 3rd game manly were playing - and I couldn’t have been less impressed. Well..

I’ve completely changed my tune, about 2 years ago in fact. I made an effort to watch more manly games to purely watch him. Like rewatching a movie I hated but everyone else loved, had I missed something or would I reconfirm my original view. Well I changed my view. Maybe I just saw all his horrible games - there was one against the Dragons at brookvale where all the lead up talk was about “Tom Turbo” and I was laughing to myself... more like Tom Turdbo... and indeed he had an absolute turd of a game, had absolute hands like feet. But he’s not the only player in history to have some shockers... it’s just that they were the only games I seemed to watch of his. The bloke is an absolute weapon and one of my favourites to watch now (when he’s not injured)..

Why am I referencing Trbojevic?

Well I’m not too proud to admit that I can change my mind on these things, and if he can change my mind, these Eels maybe possibly do the same one day. I don’t wish them ill will at all, and don’t post these to be nasty. I just don’t get why so many others rate them so highly.

The_Frog

First Grade
Campbell-Gillard has never been the same since he played Origin and broke his jaw.
Actually ran into Warea Hargraves' shoulder and broke his jaw, in a club game. I think he's back to early 2018 form now, but he needs to maintain it, even when things turn a bit pear shaped, which they will sooner or later.

Eelementary

Post Whore
No worries mate..

Re Gutherson, I believe that there’s at least 5 fullbacks ahead of him in the comp. and a recent player poll seems to agree. He was asking for big bucks last season to re-sign with the eels, which I think wasnt warranted at all, not even close. He is a good fullback and can create great opportunities but in the games I’ve seen (which isn’t all Eels games) he’s been ok enough but have been some error-riddled games, including some big-uns. Maybe I’ve missed a lot of his great games but he’s a guy the commentators rave about - and sometimes not long after he’s blown an opportunity or dropped a ball.

Campbell-Gillard has never been the same since he played Origin and broke his jaw. That can happen to a player, and I get why. But he’s nowhere near the player of 3-4 years ago in my opinion. But has a strong moustache.

Brown. I honestly haven’t seen what a lot of others see. Had been hearing big wraps on him before I saw him play and while he was ok enough I thought he was as good as any number of backrowers going around, just a bit more fiery. So it’s more that I’d heard the hype and what I’ve seen doesn’t befit it. I’d have guys like Josh Jackson, Finucane, Wade Graham, and about a dozen others over him every day of the week. But that’s just my opinion.

All that said, there was a guy I used to think was highly underwhelming to me a few years ago when everyone was raving about him - especially Andrew Johns... it was Tom Trbojevic. For whatever reason whenever I watched a manly game he was riddled with errors, which overshadowed anything good he was doing. I’d estimate I’d watch every 2nd or 3rd game manly were playing - and I couldn’t have been less impressed. Well..

I’ve completely changed my tune, about 2 years ago in fact. I made an effort to watch more manly games to purely watch him. Like rewatching a movie I hated but everyone else loved, had I missed something or would I reconfirm my original view. Well I changed my view. Maybe I just saw all his horrible games - there was one against the Dragons at brookvale where all the lead up talk was about “Tom Turbo” and I was laughing to myself... more like Tom Turdbo... and indeed he had an absolute turd of a game, had absolute hands like feet. But he’s not the only player in history to have some shockers... it’s just that they were the only games I seemed to watch of his. The bloke is an absolute weapon and one of my favourites to watch now (when he’s not injured)..

Why am I referencing Trbojevic?

Well I’m not too proud to admit that I can change my mind on these things, and if he can change my mind, these Eels maybe possibly do the same one day. I don’t wish them ill will at all, and don’t post these to be nasty. I just don’t get why so many others rate them so highly.

No, fair enough - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I appreciate you being kind enough to share yours.

I really like Gutherson, and Brown, but even I can admit that the media carries on like they are future Immortals - which is silly.

No, fair enough - everyone is entitled to their opinion, and I appreciate you being kind enough to share yours.

I really like Gutherson, and Brown, but even I can admit that the media carries on like they are future Immortals - which is silly.

yeah - your mention of the media is a lot of where I’m coming from there. It doesn’t mean they are bad players by any means.

Actually ran into Warea Hargraves' shoulder and broke his jaw, in a club game. I think he's back to early 2018 form now, but he needs to maintain it, even when things turn a bit pear shaped, which they will sooner or later.

Yeah mate - the Origin game he had I thought was pretty average, then the broken jaw.

Maybe I should have worded it better but meant he was elevated to origin - didn’t set the world alight, then broke his jaw after. Before these, he was one of the best props in the comp. Afterwards he’s been nowhere near what got him to origin in the first place.

Eelementary

Post Whore
yeah - your mention of the media is a lot of where I’m coming from there. It doesn’t mean they are bad players by any means.

Absolutely - I think Kalyn Ponga is over-rated, but that doesn't mean he's a bad player, at all.

It just means that people seem to think he is Jarryd Hayne, James Tedesco, and Billy Slater, rolled into one - and right now, he's a very, very good player who is on the path to true elite class.

The_Frog

First Grade
Tedesco is overrated because he needs a world beating side around him. He was dangerous at the Tigers but never got them into the finals once.

Tommy Smith

Referee
Tedesco won a RLPA Player of the Year Award whilst at the Tigers.

He is the closest thing to God on Earth.

Now cease your butthurt and admit you were wrong.

As for Benji, he also led an average Kiwi side to a World Cup Final triumph in 2008 over Billy Slater, Darren Lockyer, Jonathan Thurston and Cameron Smith. Kind of a big deal.

King hit

Coach
Tedesco won a RLPA Player of the Year Award whilst at the Tigers.

He is the closest thing to God on Earth.

Now cease your butthurt and admit you were wrong.

As for Benji, he also led an average Kiwi side to a World Cup Final triumph in 2008 over Billy Slater, Darren Lockyer, Jonathan Thurston and Cameron Smith. Kind of a big deal.
And repeated it in 2010