What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The scrum to be abolished?

gordsy

Juniors
SL removal of scrum is, I believe, to reduce instances of close contact to reduce potential cases of covid and to get season completed. Not sure it’s been muted as a permanent thing, but could be wrong. Still, be interesting to see how it goes.

That is the dumbest thing I've heard this week. So a player who has covid won't pass it on to someone in tackle but would in a scrum. The guy who thought this up must be related to the bunker guy in the manly game last week.

Northern

Juniors
That is the dumbest thing I've heard this week. So a player who has covid won't pass it on to someone in tackle but would in a scrum. The guy who thought this up must be related to the bunker guy in the manly game last week.

if that’s the dumbest thing you’ve heard this week, then you must be lucky enough to never hear our Prime Minister...

Anyhow, here’s the story

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/rugby-league/53005534

T-Boon

Coach
What is V's idea to fix scrums as reported in the Daily Telegraph?
I can't read the article.

Last Week

Bench
The scrum is/was first and foremost, a contest for the ball. A by-product of the scrum was the opening up of the field for set plays. But these days, the contest for the ball is dead.

Keeping them for the hope of set plays in open fields becoming a thing again is unrealistic.

Weighing up the pros and cons of bringing back competitive scrums is over once the player welfare card is played. The risk of neck injury is too great.

They've got to go.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
V'landys gets his ideas from Gould.

Typical stupid RL administrator, it's too hard so let's just get rid of it.

This obsession with doing everything at super speed is getting out of hand.

Clean them up and make the overpaid coaches follow the rules.

Last edited:

Headless Chook

Juniors
I say keep them but get the players to bind properly. They are a joke in the present form but I think they are needed. Not sure though what is required to bring relevance back to the overall game.

With no scrums plus the 6 to go rule it may as well be called touch footy. Just how fast do they want the game to become?

Mr Angry

Not a Referee
So as I ask my kids, where is my flying car and a single pill, with the entire requirements so I do not have to eat all the time.

How to we still get 6 forwards together so backs have room to run?

Yeah not holding my breath.

Young people have no new ideas.

Only seqeals.

Punks.