What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Our future captain

Eelementary

Post Whore
We have to sign him for next year first

I reckon he's waiting to see if he makes the Queensland side - why would he sign anything now, and then later find out he's a rep player?

It's sensible, imo.

I am also confident he will stay - the guy practically bleeds blue and gold.

I reckon he's waiting to see if he makes the Queensland side - why would he sign anything now, and then later find out he's a rep player?

It's sensible, imo.

I think bonuses for rep honours are pretty common? But it could well be that holding things up. Or the fact that no one has a clue when O'Neill will actually show up.

IFR33K

Coach

It's sensible, imo.

Origin isn’t till the end of the year, why would he wait till November to commit with a club for next year? Squads will be all but sorted by then

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Poor advice from his manager perhaps?
Like, that's never happened before, eh?

Yeah it’s happened (poor advice) no doubt. But how many times has origin been played towards summer?? It’s like a bad game of Russian roulette. Too many variables that could go wrong. Injuries, non selection and parra potentially picking up another player. I’m not convinced he’s holding out for origin. I’d be guessing he’s wanting too much at this stage.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Origin isn’t till the end of the year, why would he wait till November to commit with a club for next year? Squads will be all but sorted by then

Because if he makes the Origin team, he can command more money, as a rep level player.

It was just a thought - but I'm confident he will stay.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Because if he makes the Origin team, he can command more money, as a rep level player.

It was just a thought - but I'm confident he will stay.
I don't reckon playing Origin in itself boosts demand for a player. For starters he is unavailable at least a couple of times a year because of it, which doesn't benefit his club. I'd say playing Origin and earning big money are both consequences of performing well. So if Mahoney keeps playing at this level he will be worth the same whether he gets picked in Origin or not.

IFR33K

Coach
I don't reckon playing Origin in itself boosts demand for a player. For starters he is unavailable at least a couple of times a year because of it, which doesn't benefit his club. I'd say playing Origin and earning big money are both consequences of performing well. So if Mahoney keeps playing at this level he will be worth the same whether he gets picked in Origin or not.

If I was a betting man, I dare say reed has probably been offered a contract by a rival club/desperate club (bulldogs???) and he’s using that to get more money from us.

F*^k it, I bet @strider left nut that’s what’s happening. And we aren’t caving in.

Angry_eel

First Grade
People are never happy, are they? We had a good Captain in Cayless and people used to blast him saying he wasn't in the face of referees. Then we had Mannah who no one liked for the same reason.

However, what people hated most was that we didn't win all that much in both of their reigns, in Mannah's case it was nothing at all and he was treated pretty roughly at the end.

We now have King Gutho and still it keeps going. I don't know if Mahoney will be the Captain or not but we certainly have a good leader.

In my opinion, you have to have 1 captain with several deputies. I can see Moses, Mahoney, Matterson and Paulo being those deputies.

Gronk

Staff member
How good is this thread going ? Our current captain will be in charge until twenty-eleventy and @hindy111 wants to talk about his replacement.

Buster Hindmarsh gets my vote.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If I was a betting man, I dare say reed has probably been offered a contract by a rival club/desperate club (bulldogs???) and he’s using that to get more money from us.

F*^k it, I bet @strider left nut that’s what’s happening. And we aren’t caving in.
Broncos too

Gazzamatta

Coach
Maybe Schniders promising future at our club has become a factor in the Rheed negotiations. Obviously Kyle is as yet unproven but the talk about this kid has only been rivaled by that of a younger Dylan Brown.

Latest posts