What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Pay quits Bulldogs

shear_joy9

Coach
pay.png

I hope he quit.

Fish stinks from the head down has done for some time.

No sure if Dean is a good coach, but never had a chance.

Its rare I get pissed off at what other clubs do, but I am with this.

It’s all been written before but the dogs were crippled years ago by shocking salary cap management and Dean Pay (a former great of the club) took up the most unenviable coaching position in the comp.

The club has also since denied Pay the opportunity to get Josh Reynolds back, while they lost 2 players earlier this year to behaviours that also cost the club a major sponsor.

The bloke has been up against it from the start, and never been given the tools and support needed to lift the Dogs out of the absolute mess caused by others.

Now they’re talking to Trent Barrett, a bloke who quit on his former club in the middle of a contract, and when Manly were running awful. So this is the kind of person they feel could work.....???? A bloke who quits when the going gets tough....

For what used to be known as the family club, they are a complete opposite of that now, and farce of a joint. Dean Pay is the only bloke in that club who should hold his head up high.

Yeah, can only use the “inherited a mess” excuse for so long too

Nathan Brown inherited a mess at Newcastle but had them competing for finals footy in a few years. Pay has taken this squad no where coming into his third season. I don’t think they’re any better off than this tome 2 years ago.

That said I don’t understand the hype around Barrett. Had a solid if unspectacular run at Manly.

no name

Coach
Nathan Brown inherited a mess at Newcastle but had them competing for finals footy in a few years. Pay has taken this squad no where coming into his third season. I don’t think they’re any better off than this tome 2 years ago.

That said I don’t understand the hype around Barrett. Had a solid if unspectacular run at Manly.
A bit unfair comparing him to Brown. Brown had a fair amount of cash to splash to improve the roster. Pay hasn’t been given a single cent to try and improve the roster.
I don’t know if Pay can coach at NRL but he hasn’t been given an opportunity.

Generalzod

Immortal
A bit unfair comparing him to Brown. Brown had a fair amount of cash to splash to improve the roster. Pay hasn’t been given a single cent to try and improve the roster.
That’s because he had salary cap issues..

Xcalibre

Juniors
Its rare I get pissed off at what other clubs do, but I am with this.

It’s all been written before but the dogs were crippled years ago by shocking salary cap management and Dean Pay (a former great of the club) took up the most unenviable coaching position in the comp.

The club has also since denied Pay the opportunity to get Josh Reynolds back, while they lost 2 players earlier this year to behaviours that also cost the club a major sponsor.

The bloke has been up against it from the start, and never been given the tools and support needed to lift the Dogs out of the absolute mess caused by others.

Now they’re talking to Trent Barrett, a bloke who quit on his former club in the middle of a contract, and when Manly were running awful. So this is the kind of person they feel could work.....???? A bloke who quits when the going gets tough....

For what used to be known as the family club, they are a complete opposite of that now, and farce of a joint. Dean Pay is the only bloke in that club who should hold his head up high.

Here here! they should have just given him as many years as he needed to become a good coach and bring success.

Just like the Dragons. Oh hang on...

Forget family club bs, it’s about success. Bulldogs were a strong, successful club from the late 70s right through to their last premiership in 2004. 16 years is far too long for a club used to winning to go without a trophy.

Life and footy are harsh. The club has done the right thing. Pay was given a chance to be head coach. Sure he’s not had the best roster etc. but his team has performed the worst I’ve ever seen a Bulldog’s team perform. He clearly isn’t capable.

When you’re used to success you don’t accept mediocrity. If that hurts your “family” that’s bad luck. There’s simply no way to uphold family values when you have a finite amount of players in a team etc.

Now, if the board were serious, they’d get rid of all the plodders, i.e: Tolman, Jackson... pretty much most of the current lot. And not wanting Reynolds back was a great decision. Nothing but a hot-headed grub.

Xcalibre

Juniors

How hasn’t he? They’ve signed numerous players with him at the helm. His old front row mate’s son for one. Also Stimpson and DWZ. According to the media they didn’t have much available because of previous overspending by Dollar Des, so they’re roster changes are to be expected. Next season is when the Des stuff up money is supposedly freed up.

Steel Saints

Juniors
I do feel as though that tactically he wasn't great with the side, particularly in attack. I remember one game against the Storm, one of the Dogs halves, Lachlan Lewis?, kept bombing towards JAC's wing.

However, in many games, the players did put in the effort. But thanks to salary cap mismanagement, Canterbury were probably four or five players short. The new coach needs a hooker, backrower, half, and an outside back. The sad thing for Pay is he never had the chance to go out and recruit the players he wanted. Always had one hand tied behind his back.

reanimate

Bench
He’s the definition of kissed on the d*ck. How he got a head coaching role with his record as a head coach in the U20s is beyond me. At Manly he went as awfully as expected, had a tantrum about furniture and cleaning the gym on his way out and walked back into an assistant coaching job at Penrith right when everything came together and the team’s starting to sing. Now he’s being considered for another head coaching role, some people just have all the luck.

no name

Coach
How hasn’t he? They’ve signed numerous players with him at the helm. His old front row mate’s son for one. Also Stimpson and DWZ. According to the media they didn’t have much available because of previous overspending by Dollar Des, so they’re roster changes are to be expected. Next season is when the Des stuff up money is supposedly freed up.
That’s exactly what I was saying. Hasler f**ked the cap, now that they have some cash freed up, Pay was told his services weren’t required.
Again, he might just be a shit coach, but he was given f**k all to work with.

Here here! they should have just given him as many years as he needed to become a good coach and bring success.

Just like the Dragons. Oh hang on...

Forget family club bs, it’s about success. Bulldogs were a strong, successful club from the late 70s right through to their last premiership in 2004. 16 years is far too long for a club used to winning to go without a trophy.

Life and footy are harsh. The club has done the right thing. Pay was given a chance to be head coach. Sure he’s not had the best roster etc. but his team has performed the worst I’ve ever seen a Bulldog’s team perform. He clearly isn’t capable.

When you’re used to success you don’t accept mediocrity. If that hurts your “family” that’s bad luck. There’s simply no way to uphold family values when you have a finite amount of players in a team etc.

Now, if the board were serious, they’d get rid of all the plodders, i.e: Tolman, Jackson... pretty much most of the current lot. And not wanting Reynolds back was a great decision. Nothing but a hot-headed grub.

unsure who you follow but if a dogs fan I get your view.

Barrett is a quitter. He quit his first head coaching role when things got too tough. If he’s the wise choice of saviour from the Dogs board to resurrect their club... wow.

This was a club that made the GF 5 years ago, then screwed up their salary cap, got rid of many of their headline players, and have been a basket case ever since. That’s not Dean Pays doing.

As for your Dragons reference... Mary isn’t a quitter. I’d have him 1000 times over Trent Barrett coaching my club. The bloke was on the rack 5 weeks ago, and they’re now climbing out of an almighty hole. The club has backed him, and I back them both.

There’s far worse clubs than the Dragons to make comparisons of shoddyness to.

Clubs such as the Dogs, Broncos, and Warriors.. Clubs who’ve wasted millions on sacking and paying multiple coaches like the Tigers and Panthers. Clubs who’ve breached / cheated the salary cap like Parramatta, Manly, oh and the Dogs too.

And while there’s plenty of other clubs who are far above us in terms of results, we’ve not been the headcases these others have been at times. And none of them have won a comp after we last won ours in 2010, aside from Manly in 2011 - well before their dramas. Give me the Dragons over any of these, every day of the week, every day of the year.

Last edited:
He’s the definition of kissed on the d*ck. How he got a head coaching role with his record as a head coach in the U20s is beyond me. At Manly he went as awfully as expected, had a tantrum about furniture and cleaning the gym on his way out and walked back into an assistant coaching job at Penrith right when everything came together and the team’s starting to sing. Now he’s being considered for another head coaching role, some people just have all the luck.

Agreed mate. Yep he’s a former player of the club I follow but I too can’t fathom how he’s even been considered for another gig elsewhere. UK super league I’d understand, but the NRL???

Hasn’t happened yet but if it does at the Dogs I’d be absolutely gobsmacked.

Latest posts