What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Adam Blair

Meth

Staff member
This bloke is an easy target, but I feel like he is putting a string of good performances together.

He obviously is lauded as an off-field leader but has looked disengaged at times on the field. His work rate has been questioned. I think that his recent performances have gone a long way to addressing these criticisms.

There seems to be some sort of importance to him being named at prop. I think that him being in a role where it is expected of him to take a hit up during the set seems to have him much more engaged in the game. That's just my theory.

But credit where credit is due- he's playing well.

Fufu Andronez

First Grade
This bloke is an easy target, but I feel like he is putting a string of good performances together.

He obviously is lauded as an off-field leader but has looked disengaged at times on the field. His work rate has been questioned. I think that his recent performances have gone a long way to addressing these criticisms.

There seems to be some sort of importance to him being named at prop. I think that him being in a role where it is expected of him to take a hit up during the set seems to have him much more engaged in the game. That's just my theory.

But credit where credit is due- he's playing well.
Ever since I saw that pic of his kid with the dropped bottom lip saying goodbye to him, I haven't been able to be as harsh on him or any other player for that matter. Rightly or wrongly. This whole period has humanised these guys as more then just 10 hit ups 20 tackles and 0 misses or 1 hit up 1 tackle and 20 misses. I appreciate the sacrifices they are all making to get the industry going again.

My theory is that I feel like this covid thing and the adversity of it all etc has re-ignited Blair rather than being named at prop, feel like he has a new purpose. Almost like if I am going to uproot mine and my families whole life just to get a few games of footy in, I am going to play as good as I possibly can, otherwise what's the point?

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Yeah I agree with Fufu. We can never know, but I'd guess that a sense of perspective and responsibility is the reason he's playing well. He looks like he's out there playing for his family, playing for his team mates to show them the way in such hard times rather than the pay cheque he's played for previously at the Tigers and us.

Credit where credit is due on this thread, he deserves full respect for his efforts this year. I've been as outspoken as any on his form, but it's quite obvious he's more committed this year.

DuggyB

Juniors
I remember when Blair went to the Tigers on big money and was really underwhelming-he was getting it from everyone.The fans wanted him gone.Then Bennett bought him to the Broncos and he found his mojo again.Blair said it was made very clear and simple to him what his role was -he played prop.

JJ

Immortal
Yep, he's been serviceable this year... He can do a job in the middle. That said. he's not worth close to the $$ reportedly paid for him - could probably get two props as good as him for that

TheDMC

Bench
Credit where credit is due, he is going well.
Doesn't have much in the way of post-contact meters, gets stopped in his tracks but that's okay as long as he has run fast and a good line and gets a quick play of the ball.
He was a prolific, and mostly effective offloader(few disasters, one cost a try in first minute of the game) when at the Broncos. Would like to see some more late offloads from our pack, especially Blair as history shows he can certainly deliver them.

Meth

Staff member
Yep, he's been serviceable this year... He can do a job in the middle. That said. he's not worth close to the $$ reportedly paid for him - could probably get two props as good as him for that

could we, though?

Blair

Coach
There's been much less abuse in regard to my name this year.

I remember one time last year, the mrs looked over my shoulder and was concerned. 'Why are you upsetting these guys?'

waipiro

Juniors
He has been great this year and seems much more effective with the quicker play the balls/6 again rule.

I do think he was brought in originally as much for his off field professionalism as a mentor for the young kiwi guys.
He also had the mongerel attitude that many fans felt we needed but was despised in equal measure for the penalties that came with it.

Rich102

Staff member
Agree 100%
But remember the old adage about burning bridges?
Let's hope he has better locked in otherwise the could be a lot of egg around..

JJ

Immortal
Agree 100%
But remember the old adage about burning bridges?
Let's hope he has better locked in otherwise the could be a lot of egg around..
Like I say I don't like his style, at all - but 'better' or as good as Beale, Green, Blair and Kearney? A risk I am happy to take...

Tongue

Juniors
If he says no, theyd still have to pay him? Is the contractual option in his favour, not the clubs?