What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

Meth

Staff member
https://www.nzherald.co.nz/sport/news/article.cfm?c_id=4&objectid=12348116

I like this from Payten. I couldn't believe Annesley's attempt to whitewash another hopeless refereeing performance in another weekend of hopeless refereeing performances. It is embarrassing. I can't remember the refereeing being worse across the board than it is right now. I can't really think of a referee that I am happy to have officiate our games.

Just saw that we have bloody Cecchin this week. Shit!! How do we keep getting him?

I'm probably most comfortable with Klein, that's how bad it is.

84 Baby

Referee
https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/documentation/nrl_laws_interpretations_2020.pdf

Page 22.

If the Bunker determines that an infringement occurs prior to the element of the incident that is being challenged, the first identified infringement will supersede the challenge.
Good find but surely in this instance though team shouldn’t lose their challenge? It’s not the players’ job to cover all the non-calls by the refs.

And I’m amazed that no one has brought up the 4 tackle play on advantage for a legit tackle. Similar to the Josh Mansour is allowed to run 50m play on advantage for a knock on.

T-Boon

Coach

Meth

Staff member
I bet you have said that every year for the past 15 years. The refs are fine.

I don't think I have. But if I have, it'll be because they aren't getting better. They are continuously sinking to new lows.

And I'd imagine your standards would be lower than mine in every arena

Angry_eel

First Grade
Maybe it's not the referees but the rules which are grey or change every year. In addition, a bunch of wankers keep putting shit of referees no matter which way the decision is made.

e.g. When I started watching the game, forward passes were easy to tell, if it didn't go back, it was forward. Now, backward out of the hands but going forward, line balls, "looks forward but isn't" makes it impossible for referees to call forward passes. How is a referee supposed to tell forward passes at a lightning pace when he's not looking for the ball to travel forward but trying to remember the players' hands.

That's just 1 simple RL rule. Now, with even more complicated things like holding down and wrestling, it makes the Refs job impossible.

skeepe

Immortal
Chris Sutton tonight ruling that there’s a set distance you’re allowed to drag a player even if their momentum never
stops.

Meth

Staff member
Brian Kelly's try for the Titans after he pushed Momirovski in the back while he was juggling the ball. Seems weird after the Hetherington's no-try last week, which Annesley defended.

It's just a lottery.

T-Boon

Coach
Brian Kelly's try for the Titans after he pushed Momirovski in the back while he was juggling the ball. Seems weird after the Hetherington's no-try last week, which Annesley defended.

It's just a lottery.

A player can tackle the player who is juggling the ball.

no name

Coach

It's just a lottery.
They got the Kelly one right and the Hetherington one completely wrong. Both were clear tries.

I also noticed Atkins once again used the bunker for a non scoring play last night.
Just because the incident occurs close to the tryline doesn’t mean you can use the bunker to make the decisions for you.

T-Boon

Coach
Yes, exactly right.

That was going to be my answer as well. Just get over it. The refs make some mistakes. But overall they are awesome. The bad guys are cheating coaches deliberately trying to make the game difficult to referee.

T-Boon

Coach
I still think the game would be better off without coaches. Or at least limit the amount of time they have with the players to 1 hour a day. Lets see them perfect wrestling then.

Meth

Staff member
That was going to be my answer as well. Just get over it. The refs make some mistakes. But overall they are awesome

Yeah, see this is where you and I disagree.

They make way too many mistakes for professionals and offer way too little contrition.