What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Game Future NRL Stadiums part II

reanimate

Bench
We don't need Manly or Norths to grow popularity of the game in North Sydney. The Roosters are the ''wealthy'' Sydney club and can easily gel with the culture of the affluent Northern and Eastern suburbs of the city. Plus they can stay at Moore Park whilst doing so, both the Swans and Waratahs manage it perfectly well.
That could also work, but what happens to Manly in that scenario? Manly stays boxed in the Northern Beaches? Manly gets the Beaches and the Central Coast? St George make the two island territory scenario work, Cronulla is smack bang in the middle of the Dragons’ two areas, that could also work for Manly I suppose.

The Roosters could also have that arrangement- Manly gets the Beaches and North Shore and Roosters get the Eastern Suburbs and Central Coast. If one team has to do a long drive to access their other area regardless, the Beaches and North Shore have a lot more synergy between them in terms of access.
You can’t make North Sydney Oval bigger. It’s boxed in by roads and the stands and trees are heritage listed.
There’s a little bit of room at the south-east end, but you’re right, it’s not going to happen due to the heritage listing.

siv

First Grade
I also agree that the only way Manly have a chance to grow on the North shore is if the NRL step in and help. I remember back around 2008~11 when Manly were successful they were trying to send over players to malls, schools and junior games in the North Shore but the Bears told them to Fk off as it was their area.
Manly really can't spread into the North shore until NRL sort it out with the Bears

Manly wont grow with the North Shore until the railway and Freeway link gets built

Been waiting since 1932 when Bradfield proposed it 90 years ago

T-Boon

Coach
You can’t make North Sydney Oval bigger. It’s boxed in by roads and the stands and trees are heritage listed.

The roads are a big problem but the trees and heritage listing are manageable problems. On maps NSO2 looks like it is big enough to turn into a 25k stadium.

T-Boon

Coach
I also agree that the only way Manly have a chance to grow on the North shore is if the NRL step in and help. I remember back around 2008~11 when Manly were successful they were trying to send over players to malls, schools and junior games in the North Shore but the Bears told them to Fk off as it was their area.
Manly really can't spread into the North shore until NRL sort it out with the Bears

Did manly really back off? Sounds pretty weak. They should have persisted. I don't believe these geographic areas exist in reality in terms of a club "owning" an area. I always think Parra should spend more time in the CBD of Sydney trying to expand in there where all the money is. Especially since no other club has really made it their own and the Rabbitoh's seem to have given up.

mongoose

Coach
Did manly really back off? Sounds pretty weak. They should have persisted. I don't believe these geographic areas exist in reality in terms of a club "owning" an area. I always think Parra should spend more time in the CBD of Sydney trying to expand in there where all the money is. Especially since no other club has really made it their own and the Rabbitoh's seem to have given up.

lolwhut

mongoose

Coach
Parramatta is miles away from Sydney CBD, how can they take that area? The Bulldogs and Tigers (the balmain half) are between them and the CBD.

gunpk

Juniors
It happened several times. I remember on one occasion Florimo saying everything from Milsons point to Central Coast is their territory so Manly should back off. The junior clubs in the shore were disappointed they were stopped from having NRL players coming to their games.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors
It happened several times. I remember on one occasion Florimo saying everything from Milsons point to Central Coast is their territory so Manly should back off. The junior clubs in the shore were disappointed they were stopped from having NRL players coming to their

It was during Gallops reign that Manly were barred from visiting schools etc ( this obviously coincided with one of our more successful runs). Its absolutely ridiculous decision and has let rugby and AFL run with no competitor.

Also a few people have mentioned Manly is a small area that does f all for the NRL - for such a small area they know how to churn a player or two into first grade. If Vlandys sorts the North shire even if split with the roosters etc then Manly will cement their spot long term.

gunpk

Juniors
I couldn't understand why NRL didn't back Manly back then. Even if the parents were old Bears supporters the kids wouldn't have given a sht and would have loved seeing NRL players in real life.
I remember some of my mates having an interest in the Swans for a while even though they knew nothing about AFL just because they came to our schools and handed out small footies. AFL have been having a free run while the Bears keep blocking Manly

Pommy

Coach
Ideally, yes. Even if we were gifted a brand new stadium at NSO2, Manly doesn't want to lose their identity again, the name has to stay in some capacity.

It's not great, but it's not awful. It's right on the main road, there are bus stops right outside and there will be new developments happening just down the road from it in the future which should bring a new set of shops and potentially nightlife as well. It's 30-40 minutes from Wynyard (differs with traffic obviously).

As I previously indicated, yes, Manly should be growing in the North Shore, but Norths still control the area from a development and territory standpoint and their partner club is the one who benefits from any Manly investment. V'Landys should step in and force the issue, the whole area should be under the control of one body. The status quo has led to nothing but rot and malaise.

Brookvale is an awful location. I’m sure it’s fine for the locals but fans coming from out west? f**king no chance.
I’ve done it once on a Friday night and nothing against the club but it’s just not worth the hassle. It was a decent bus journey from NS and then back to Wynyard before a good wait at the station and then a 45 minute train ride, you can easily spend more time travelling than you do in the ground.
is there even much parking around it?

reanimate

Bench
I couldn't understand why NRL didn't back Manly back then. Even if the parents were old Bears supporters the kids wouldn't have given a sht and would have loved seeing NRL players in real life.
I remember some of my mates having an interest in the Swans for a while even though they knew nothing about AFL just because they came to our schools and handed out small footies. AFL have been having a free run while the Bears keep blocking Manly
It was during Mr Ummm Ahhhhh’s reign that Manly really got kneecapped, as Shire Sea Eagle noted. He refused to make a decision on the CC Bears one way or another, which had Florimo and co convinced that they were going to be readmitted back into the NRL any day now.
Brookvale is an awful location. I’m sure it’s fine for the locals but fans coming from out west? f**king no chance.
I’ve done it once on a Friday night and nothing against the club but it’s just not worth the hassle. It was a decent bus journey from NS and then back to Wynyard before a good wait at the station and then a 45 minute train ride, you can easily spend more time travelling than you do in the ground.
is there even much parking around it?
That’s the nature of Sydney, getting out to somewhere like Parramatta is equally horrific for fans from the Northern Beaches. It’s also why trying to force Manly into playing out of a central location like the SFS, ala like Greenberg was trying to push, was a horrible idea. Manly fans never had a hope of getting home from work, getting kids ready and back into the city in time for kickoff.

Brookvale is nowhere near as bad as if Manly played at somewhere like Rat Park or St Ives Showground. That’d be an extra half an hour of travel time on top of what you’re used to with Brookvale.

flippikat

Bench
The roads are a big problem but the trees and heritage listing are manageable problems. On maps NSO2 looks like it is big enough to turn into a 25k stadium.

Good point. Maybe that's a way forward?

Build a new boutique rectangular stadium next to North Sydney Oval, move the Sea-Eagles there? There's plenty of greenfield space next to NSO.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors

Sorry bout previous post .
100% agree Gallop ruined a whole young generation of potential Mannly supporters from mid 2000's then would use that assistance us when came time for upgrading Brookie

Timbo

Staff member
There’s no parking and it’s public green space in a densely populated area.

There is no chance of a stadium being build in the parkland next to NSO, nor is there any chance if it being redeveloped.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors
Florimo.....such an ornament of RL development.
To be fair to him its up to the NRL to step in say Central Coast Bears ain't happening ( which everyone knows ) . As long as as no one says anything there is hope ( hates probably the better word). Make a call and give the North shore back to Manly or split with roosters who have current partnership with Norths.
It will take someone with some balls and no agendas to do this- Hoping Vlandys steps up as it really is a big unspoken issue.

Shire_seaeagle

Juniors
There’s no parking and it’s public green space in a densely populated area.

There is no chance of a stadium being build in the parkland next to NSO, nor is there any chance if it being redeveloped.
Brookie is perfectly fine if fixed to a 20-22k stadium like parras. Union would also use here there- hell even Norths could take their NSWRL games for old times sake- happy to pay Flo for that:smiley:

Perth Red

Post Whore
To be fair to him its up to the NRL to step in say Central Coast Bears ain't happening ( which everyone knows ) . As long as as no one says anything there is hope ( hates probably the better word). Make a call and give the North shore back to Manly or split with roosters who have current partnership with Norths.
It will take someone with some balls and no agendas to do this- Hoping Vlandys steps up as it really is a big unspoken issue.

tbf Grant told them that on 2013, it’s why they pulled out of gosford and closed down the CC Bears bid and why Florimo has been looking to link with somewhere else since.

Latest posts