What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Rabbitohs Rumours, Signings and News

Travitoh

First Grade
Who is CHN?

Corey Harawira-Naera.

Also is Nathan Brown from the Eels off contract this year?? Would be a great addition, fill the hitman void left by Sam.

Contracted to the end of 2021. Seems to spend a lot of time out injured though. I wouldn't be keen.

We need to sign Sele quiiiiiiiiiiick, don't know why we havent

He and his agent may be stalling, believing that his value will increase if he holds out.

Travitoh

First Grade
I like chn, i was disappointed when we didnt get him, i would definately try now, but i feel when this happens to a player and his club does the right thing they should get first dibs

If Canterbury didn't terminate his contract, I'd agree. But i believe they did so he's fair game imo.

callmack1

Staff member
NRL Players' Poll - Part 1: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13...best-player-positions-coach-captain-and-more/

Bunker officials can't be dropped as no replacements - Annesley: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/bunker-officials-cant-be-dropped-as-no-replacements-annesley/

‘I’ve had enough of the Bunker’ - $2M joke slammed after weekend of terrible calls: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f56dae4a9a5577a67c07cf5bb8b9f640

From Sporting News,

Scrums on the agenda as Peter V'landys considers more rule changes

Laurie Daley has cautioned the NRL against making the game too fast in the wake of reports the competition is looking at possibly scrapping scrums.

A report in the Daily Telegraph claims ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys thinks the state of scrums in the modern game is a "joke" and he's keen to do something about it.

Balmain legend Wayne Pearce reportedly raised the suggestion of having referees feed the scrums at a competition committee meeting last year, while the NRL may also look to the English Super League where scrums have been completely scrapped since the COVID-19 break.

While giving teams the power to choose where they will hold the scrum has largely been seen as a positive, players not properly binding or breaking too early continues to be an issue for some, V'landys included.

The introduction of the 'six again' rule and reverting back to one referee brought about an instant change to the pace of the game, increasing the fatigue factor on players.

Though Canberra great Laurie Daley has warned the NRL against making another change that would speed up the game.

"You still need a place for the big guy to play rugby league," Daley said.

"If it's just a continuous game, all of a sudden the body shapes of the player will look exactly the same in every position.

"Everyone around six foot tall and can run 12 seconds."

Daley suggested teams will focus on athletic ability when recruiting and developing players.

"If the game becomes quick, and that's what you're looking to do if there's no scrums and it's just a turnover, the bigger guys, they'll find themselves out of a job because I reckon coaches will go for that player that's fit, that's mobile, rather than the guy that's 115, 120 kilos that would struggle with the speed of the game," he said.

League heavyweight Phil Gould disagrees, having long called for the NRL to ditch scrums, labelling them an "embarrassment to the game."

handyman2190

Bench
NRL Players' Poll - Part 1: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13...best-player-positions-coach-captain-and-more/

Bunker officials can't be dropped as no replacements - Annesley: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/13/bunker-officials-cant-be-dropped-as-no-replacements-annesley/

‘I’ve had enough of the Bunker’ - $2M joke slammed after weekend of terrible calls: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/f56dae4a9a5577a67c07cf5bb8b9f640

From Sporting News,

Scrums on the agenda as Peter V'landys considers more rule changes

Laurie Daley has cautioned the NRL against making the game too fast in the wake of reports the competition is looking at possibly scrapping scrums.

A report in the Daily Telegraph claims ARL Commission chairman Peter V'landys thinks the state of scrums in the modern game is a "joke" and he's keen to do something about it.

Balmain legend Wayne Pearce reportedly raised the suggestion of having referees feed the scrums at a competition committee meeting last year, while the NRL may also look to the English Super League where scrums have been completely scrapped since the COVID-19 break.

While giving teams the power to choose where they will hold the scrum has largely been seen as a positive, players not properly binding or breaking too early continues to be an issue for some, V'landys included.

The introduction of the 'six again' rule and reverting back to one referee brought about an instant change to the pace of the game, increasing the fatigue factor on players.

Though Canberra great Laurie Daley has warned the NRL against making another change that would speed up the game.

"You still need a place for the big guy to play rugby league," Daley said.

"If it's just a continuous game, all of a sudden the body shapes of the player will look exactly the same in every position.

"Everyone around six foot tall and can run 12 seconds."

Daley suggested teams will focus on athletic ability when recruiting and developing players.

"If the game becomes quick, and that's what you're looking to do if there's no scrums and it's just a turnover, the bigger guys, they'll find themselves out of a job because I reckon coaches will go for that player that's fit, that's mobile, rather than the guy that's 115, 120 kilos that would struggle with the speed of the game," he said.

League heavyweight Phil Gould disagrees, having long called for the NRL to ditch scrums, labelling them an "embarrassment to the game."
Why are we changing the game of league to something different? A few tweeks ok get rid of scrums, no way!!
Wont be league anymore, no fast passing to the edges for trys, all gonski, too much, yes the big men will be gone,i dont like it

callmack1

Staff member
Rabbitohs sign Jed Cartwright until end of Season 2023: https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/14/rabbitohs-sign-jed-cartwright-until-end-of-season-2023/

Cartwright confirmed. Gotta admit I don't know a lot about him but there are some that rate him and he does sound promising so we'll see where this leads.

NRL reverts to stricter COVID-19 restrictions to ease Qld concerns: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/14/nrl-to-revert-to-stricter-covid-19-restrictions/

NRL enforces tough COVID-19 restrictions for NSW clubs: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/63430de02335a99ea8c8cc373bf11e0d

Good call from the NRL here, had to happen really.

Phil Gould says officials ‘haven’t got a clue’: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/ee8e7a7714a5538f10a94f83d6868bf9

Mr Spock!

Referee
Why are we changing the game of league to something different? A few tweeks ok get rid of scrums, no way!!
Wont be league anymore, no fast passing to the edges for trys, all gonski, too much, yes the big men will be gone,i dont like it
But the game has changed.

Watch games from the 80s and 90s and you'll see the effects of the interchange.

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Few people on Facebook are asking where Kolaomatengi (sorry for spelling) is? And I tend to ask with them.. is be injured or ?

Imagine a bench with Sele, Mago & Koala....omg Cook would/should have a field day

Hellray

Juniors
Few people on Facebook are asking where Kolaomatengi (sorry for spelling) is? And I tend to ask with them.. is be injured or ?

Imagine a bench with Sele, Mago & Koala....omg Cook would/should have a field day
I’m a fan of the name koala saves trying to type his name in hahaa
He has seemingly dropped off the face of the earth when it comes to the top squad, he is still seen in most training pics posted by the club and with no rehab bib on, so just out of favour at this stage perhaps?

The_Frog

First Grade
Cartwright confirmed. Gotta admit I don't know a lot about him but there are some that rate him and he does sound promising so we'll see where this leads.
Son of John, cousin of Bryce. Big strapping backrower who can also play centre. Has some ball skills, which run in the family. One first grade game only, currently in the Panthers 30-man squad. Injuries have held him back. If he can stay healthy he'll be a good and maybe excellent signing.

Last edited:

callmack1

Staff member
NRL reverts to original Apollo protocols: https://www.nrl.com/news/2020/07/14/nrl-revert-to-original-apollo-protocols/

He has to be injured surely! Far too talented to be out of the 21 Man Squad. This weeks Line Up proves he's injured in my opinion. There's no way someone like Dillon would be there ahead of him.

That bloke CHN is off contract and doesn't want to be at the Dogs... thoughts?

In magical theoretical land of course ;)
I'd happily take him!

Son of John, cousin of Bryce. Big strapping backrower who can also play centre. Has some ball skills, which run in the family. One first grade game only, currently in the Panthers 30-man squad. Injuries have held him back. If he can stay healthy he'll be a good and maybe excellent signing.
Thanks for that mate, sounds promising.

Travitoh

First Grade
Done a bit of research into Jed Cartwright playing NSW Cup.

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/teams/nsw-cup/penrith-panthers-nsw-cup/jed-cartwright/

Debuted 2017.
2017 - 18 games.
2018 - 7 games.
2019 - 15 games.
2020 - 1 game (no NSW Cup past rd 1)
41 games total.

10 tries. (8 in 2017, 2 in 2019)
17 goals @ 62.96% (in 2019)
9 try assists. (5 in 2017, 4 in 2019)
13 linebreaks. (10 in 2017, 3 in 2019)
4,110 metres @ 100.24 pg (118 in 17, 45 in 18, 98 in 19)
702 tackles @ 87.89% (84% in 17, 91% in 18, 92% in 19)

In the only game this season he ran for 184m and completed 8 of 10 tackles.

Is anyone able to find minutes played, tackle breaks, post contact metres or line break assists?

callmack1

Staff member
From Zero Tackle,

Peter V'landys declares NRL 'highly unlikely' to follow AFL to Queensland

While the AFL looks almost certain to shift all Victorian clubs into Queensland, ARLC chairman Peter V'landys says it's "highly unlikely" the NRL will follow suit.

A major second spike in COVID-19 cases in the state saw all 10 Victorian-based AFL clubs evacuated into external hubs, with many being planted in Sydney and surrounds.

However, the AFL will now initiate another shift towards Queensland looming threat of another outbreak occurring in New South Wales, stemming from the Crossroads Hotel cluster in the Western Sydney suburb of Casula.

The small spike in NSW has this week seen the NRL react with a dramatic revert back to the Apollo biosecurity restrictions first introduced when the competition returned in late May.

It means all players and staff within 'the bubble' of each club outside of Queensland will again be restrained from visiting cafes, restaurants, pubs, beaches or golf courses, while original restrictions on visitors to players' homes will also be enforced.

Although, reports have suggested the NRL was further devising an emergency plan to relocate the entire competition to Queensland, yet V'landys is almost certain it will not reach that stage.

Speaking on Triple M's 'Rush Hour' on Wednesday, the ARL commission chairman said the revert to the tighter measures would safeguard players from crossing the border to play teams in Queensland in the meantime.

"It's highly unlikely [the NRL moves north of the border] but we've got to look at every scenario and one scenario is that while Queensland is completely COVID free it may be an opportunity to go up there," V'landys said.

"But it's nowhere near that stage, and we're very confident that the New South Wales Government will take all the necessary actions here in New South Wales.

"It's just ensuring that we can actually continue to go to Queensland, play our games and come back again so that's the concern we have, and we might have to bring the Queensland teams into New South Wales or vice versa.

"But it's more likely that if we were restricted on the border, we would probably bring the Queensland teams into New South Wales to start with.

"I don't think that's going to happen, because the infection rate is nowhere near the height that it was when the premier kindly gave us permission to play in Queensland.

"And that's why we've reintroduced the biosecurity measures, because that's what the Queensland Government approved us playing in Queensland [for], by having these measures in place.

"We put them back to minimise any risk to the Queensland Government and so they [players] can continue to travel to and from Queensland."

V'landys admits the fast-changing situation in Sydney has provided some unwanted uncertainty for the NRL and its next movements, but backed the players to respond to the re-introduction of the Apollo restrictions.

"We're certainly worried, you can't be complacent, and that's why we put the measures back in place," V'landys said of the climbing rates in New South Wales.

"There's a level of uncertainty in New South Wales, but I'm still confident that we'll get through the competition and the finals and the State of Origin, but we've just got to be cautious we've just got to make sure that we're doing everything right

"[If] the players abide by the biosecurity measures and minimise the risk, and if everyone plays their part, I'm very confident that we will see the season out without any problems.

"Our biosecurity expert says that if they abide by these biosecurity measures the risk of them catching the virus is 1000 to one which is next to nil.

"So that's important for us, is that we do maintain the health of our players and the community and to make sure that the Queensland Government is confident in our measures to allow us to go to Queensland."

Meanwhile, Queensland declared on Tuesday it will be denying entry into the state for anyone who resides in, or has visited the Campbelltown and Liverpool councils in the past fortnight, with the South-Western Sydney cities deemed as coronavirus hotspots.

While no matches have been played at Campbelltown Stadium since round seven, it poses further questions for V'landys and his team to address given a number of players who reside in the area.

"We've got an exemption from the Queensland Government at the moment because of our provide security protocols," he revealed.

"We will look at all avenues in relation to the risk at Campbelltown and look at the day to day proposition at the moment.

"We'll probably know more in the next three or four days but now we might have to look at relocating players, not playing games there, it's all on the table."

NovoBunny94

Juniors
Done a bit of research into Jed Cartwright playing NSW Cup.

https://www.penrithpanthers.com.au/teams/nsw-cup/penrith-panthers-nsw-cup/jed-cartwright/

Debuted 2017.
2017 - 18 games.
2018 - 7 games.
2019 - 15 games.
2020 - 1 game (no NSW Cup past rd 1)
41 games total.

10 tries. (8 in 2017, 2 in 2019)
17 goals @ 62.96% (in 2019)
9 try assists. (5 in 2017, 4 in 2019)
13 linebreaks. (10 in 2017, 3 in 2019)
4,110 metres @ 100.24 pg (118 in 17, 45 in 18, 98 in 19)
702 tackles @ 87.89% (84% in 17, 91% in 18, 92% in 19)

In the only game this season he ran for 184m and completed 8 of 10 tackles.

Is anyone able to find minutes played, tackle breaks, post contact metres or line break assists?

Nice work

Rabbits20

Immortal
3 years for a 23 year old with 1 game under his belt? He's done well there!

CHN would be a good get.
Got loads of talent but just had lots of injuries.

Being 23 and him having had lots of injuries plus only having played 1 first grade game, I’d have though a 1-2 year deal would’ve been more sensible than the 3 years we given him. In Ello we trust I guess though.

I just hope he’s not a turnstile in defence like his cousin Bryce.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Mate from what I’ve heard re Koloa from other forms of social media, Koloa has a leg injury it seems. Also there is a rumour that he’s suffering from headaches also.

Rodwell is also injured right now.

Rabbits20

Immortal
The South Sydney Rabbitohs will return home to ANZ Stadium from round 13 onwards giving the Rabbitohs five home games at their home ground in the lead up to the 2020 Finals Series.

The Rabbitohs will play their round ten home game at Bankwest Stadium before returning to their home ground at ANZ Stadium from round 13 which will see them play home games against the Broncos in round 13, Sea Eagles in round 15, Storm in round 17, Bulldogs in round 19 and the Roosters in round 20.

Reduced capacities at grounds due to biosecurity measures will currently see up to 10,000 Rabbitohs Members and supporters welcomed back to ANZ Stadium from round 13, whereas only 7,500 patrons can be accommodated at Bankwest Stadium.

The Rabbitohs will not be taking home games to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland and Central Coast of New South Wales in 2020 as was originally planned before COVID-19 restrictions came into place.

The Rabbitohs were planning on taking home games to Bankwest Stadium for the remainder of the 2020 season, however now that the NSW government has made the decision to cancel the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium, the Rabbitohs will be able to return to their home base for the remainder of this season.

Rabbitohs CEO, Blake Solly, said: “It will be fantastic to return home for the rest of this year. It is familiar surroundings at ANZ Stadium for not only our team, but for our Members, corporate partners and supporters as well.

“We would like to thank Daryl Kerry and his team at VenuesLive as well as Venues NSW for helping us return home to ANZ Stadium where we can accommodate thousands more of our Members and supporters at each game.

It will be fantastic to return home for the rest of this year.

Blake SollyCEO
“We also hope that venue capacity restrictions will continue to lift in coming months to help us attract bigger crowds for our important late-in-season matches against the Storm, Bulldogs and Roosters, teams against which we have had great rivalries in recent years.

“This now means that our full season Ticketed Members will have the opportunity to attend 12 games in Sydney, including ten home games and two reciprocal rights away games, throughout this shortened season of 20 matches.

“We will be communicating with our Members and supporters regularly about accessing seating for these games and we are looking forward to returning home for the back end of the 2020 regular season.”

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/16/rabbitohs-to-return-home-to-anz-stadium-from-round-13/

Awesome news!

callmack1

Staff member
The South Sydney Rabbitohs will return home to ANZ Stadium from round 13 onwards giving the Rabbitohs five home games at their home ground in the lead up to the 2020 Finals Series.

The Rabbitohs will play their round ten home game at Bankwest Stadium before returning to their home ground at ANZ Stadium from round 13 which will see them play home games against the Broncos in round 13, Sea Eagles in round 15, Storm in round 17, Bulldogs in round 19 and the Roosters in round 20.

Reduced capacities at grounds due to biosecurity measures will currently see up to 10,000 Rabbitohs Members and supporters welcomed back to ANZ Stadium from round 13, whereas only 7,500 patrons can be accommodated at Bankwest Stadium.

The Rabbitohs will not be taking home games to the Sunshine Coast in Queensland and Central Coast of New South Wales in 2020 as was originally planned before COVID-19 restrictions came into place.

The Rabbitohs were planning on taking home games to Bankwest Stadium for the remainder of the 2020 season, however now that the NSW government has made the decision to cancel the redevelopment of ANZ Stadium, the Rabbitohs will be able to return to their home base for the remainder of this season.

Rabbitohs CEO, Blake Solly, said: “It will be fantastic to return home for the rest of this year. It is familiar surroundings at ANZ Stadium for not only our team, but for our Members, corporate partners and supporters as well.

“We would like to thank Daryl Kerry and his team at VenuesLive as well as Venues NSW for helping us return home to ANZ Stadium where we can accommodate thousands more of our Members and supporters at each game.

It will be fantastic to return home for the rest of this year.

Blake SollyCEO
“We also hope that venue capacity restrictions will continue to lift in coming months to help us attract bigger crowds for our important late-in-season matches against the Storm, Bulldogs and Roosters, teams against which we have had great rivalries in recent years.

“This now means that our full season Ticketed Members will have the opportunity to attend 12 games in Sydney, including ten home games and two reciprocal rights away games, throughout this shortened season of 20 matches.

“We will be communicating with our Members and supporters regularly about accessing seating for these games and we are looking forward to returning home for the back end of the 2020 regular season.”

https://www.rabbitohs.com.au/news/2020/07/16/rabbitohs-to-return-home-to-anz-stadium-from-round-13/

Awesome news!
Fantastic news! Been a long time coming!

In other news,

QLD Govt makes big border call as NRL demands COVID-19 testing every 72 hours: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/63430de02335a99ea8c8cc373bf11e0d

Why lock forwards are becoming as crucial as halves: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...c/news-story/f7269665ea9e9128bc7beacb301477d9

‘Stabbed in the back’ - Ex-Souths boss lifts lid on bitter Michael Maguire and Anthony Seibold feud: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...0/news-story/27180619a335c415bd9726958d46e33f

Maguire responds to claim he’s filthy Seibold ‘white-anted’ him at Rabbitohs: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/36c3bf639d0ea04a591745958d59c31b

Powerful people want Bennett to coach Dogs. This is why it won’t happen: https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/10827aac107889621646643c9d21a219

Peter V'landys works his magic to stop NRL nightmare: https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/covid1...hotspots/c1fe2cd2-e543-4976-baa7-8400bb72752b