What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dealing with Cats

Hi All,

Got a problem that some of you may have experienced / dealt with...

Neighbourhood cats. For whatever reason, they love getting together at my place. My backyard at night is like thunderdome. Scrapping and carrying on late at night and in the wee hours. Wakes the whole joint up. And the odd turd on the footpath and veggie patch is always a lovely greeting in the morning.

So, without buying a gun or setting traps and throwing them into my pool....

What’s an effective way to keep these cats outta my place???

Get a Dog of course, although I’m still in negotiation with the darl about that..

I’ve blocked off any gaps and routes between fences but the bastards are like they’re in Cirque De Soleil... they can climb anything.

All advice appreciated.

Cheers,
BBJF

gUt

Coach
Depending on where you live, cats are usually supposed to be kept indoors and not allowed to roam. However, cat owners are generally selfish merkins with a good mix of crazy thrown in. Trap and take to the pound, and/or whinge to the council about it. You can also letterbox drop beforehand to warn the selfish, crazy cat people but that would depend on your neighborhood I guess.

f**k I hate cats wandering around.

Thanks all, some good advice. I’ll look up the council rules and maybe get a trap/letterbox drop etc.

I’m guessing with a trap that if I catch one, it’ll howl and squeal and carry on all night.. would be fun.

Last night one was howling outside our bedroom window. Would a cannon work?

I’m gonna get some Cerated edging to put along some of my fence lines... won’t damage the cats but will stop em at key entry points they use.

Also gonna get the biggest pump-action water pistol money can buy. Anyone done this?? Other substances to fill it with that can help deter a cat??

The hoses are too far from the door so when I go for them the cats have long taken off..

horrie hastings

First Grade
We have a crazy cat lady living about 5-6 doors up from us and she has at least 30-50 cats in her home, maybe even more, the cats wander every where, have contacted the Inner West Council on numerous times but they reckon there is nothing they can do, sometimes the smell near her house is unbearable, the neighbours a few doors closer hose down their foot path nightly. Not sure what happens but about twice a year the population seems to drop but then you suddenly see more cats, younger and a lot of them pregnant and so the cycle continues. One local will sometimes capture the kittens when they are old enough to be away from their mother and take them to the cat protection society.
Unfortunately one person in our unit block thinks it is also a good idea to leave cat food out to attract the cats into our back yard, we are continually throwing out cat food scattered around the yard, he also leave cat food on the roof of his car but that only seems to attract the magpies. Another person in our block has a cat trap but doesn't want to use it as we have possums in our trees and they roam around the yard at night.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Thanks all, some good advice. I’ll look up the council rules and maybe get a trap/letterbox drop etc.

I’m guessing with a trap that if I catch one, it’ll howl and squeal and carry on all night.. would be fun.

Last night one was howling outside our bedroom window. Would a cannon work?

I’m gonna get some Cerated edging to put along some of my fence lines... won’t damage the cats but will stop em at key entry points they use.

Also gonna get the biggest pump-action water pistol money can buy. Anyone done this?? Other substances to fill it with that can help deter a cat??

The hoses are too far from the door so when I go for them the cats have long taken off..

as rangers dont like working at night, some councils will loan you a cat trap then come and pick the cats up

as rangers dont like working at night, some councils will loan you a cat trap then come and pick the cats up

Brilliant.

There's 4 cats (yes - 4 of the f---ers) that I've seen having a crack in thunderdome (aka my backyard). Would they have traps that big that could get all 4??

horrie hastings

First Grade
Brilliant.

There's 4 cats (yes - 4 of the f---ers) that I've seen having a crack in thunderdome (aka my backyard). Would they have traps that big that could get all 4??

You may just have to keep on putting a trap out till you get them all because if there is a feral cat population around there is likely to be more than four, hope fully you are lucky and they are just the neighborhood moggies.

What happened with our crazy cat lady there was a tip on the other side of the highway which had a feral cat population and some of them crossed over the road and bred with her cats which caused the first population explosion, the tip is now gone, it has been replaced by West Connex flyovers so would like to think the feral population there has been eliminated but I somehow don't think so.

You may just have to keep on putting a trap out till you get them all because if there is a feral cat population around there is likely to be more than four, hope fully you are lucky and they are just the neighborhood moggies.

What happened with our crazy cat lady there was a tip on the other side of the highway which had a feral cat population and some of them crossed over the road and bred with her cats which caused the first population explosion, the tip is now gone, it has been replaced by West Connex flyovers so would like to think the feral population there has been eliminated but I somehow don't think so.

Cheers - yeah there' a new boy on the block who's arrived. Big Lad but doesn't appear feral.

I just heard a ruckus out the front and there was a random dog chasing one of the cats across the front lawn. Good Boy!

AJB1102

First Grade
Get a Dog of course, although I’m still in negotiation with the darl about that..

You can turn a negative into a positive here mate.

You want dog. Mrs no doubt wants the cats gone. Your position at the negotiating table is strong. I'd remove all the fence and access blocking and attract more in till the misso flips it and demands I get the dog.

You can turn a negative into a positive here mate.

You want dog. Mrs no doubt wants the cats gone. Your position at the negotiating table is strong. I'd remove all the fence and access blocking and attract more in till the misso flips it and demands I get the dog.

Wheels in motion on this plan... it’s gaining traction...

Shown the missus pics of dogs at the local animal shelter website looking for a home...

This was after she came home and a big brown f—-er was on the shed roof, and I hit it with all the power my nylex could offer..

I think by next week we’ll have a result. In the meantime I’ve set up secured (I think) the perimeter of the fencing... but I’ll give it til the morning to see if that’s been successful or not..

Cheers mate!

blue bags

First Grade
the live harmless traps are called possum traps, we have a few of them, catch an release traps, with trap doors, totally harmless, a can of tuna works, take cat to vet for microcheck . or , can get sterilised , nutted :oops: or other things

blue bags

First Grade
they are not allowed on your property, by council rules, they are not native
we have a crazy cat person in our street aswell, a foster home for cats,
most cats need to be nutted

Incorrect

Coach
We have a crazy cat lady living about 5-6 doors up from us and she has at least 30-50 cats in her home, maybe even more, the cats wander every where, have contacted the Inner West Council on numerous times but they reckon there is nothing they can do, sometimes the smell near her house is unbearable, the neighbours a few doors closer hose down their foot path nightly. Not sure what happens but about twice a year the population seems to drop but then you suddenly see more cats, younger and a lot of them pregnant and so the cycle continues. One local will sometimes capture the kittens when they are old enough to be away from their mother and take them to the cat protection society.
Unfortunately one person in our unit block thinks it is also a good idea to leave cat food out to attract the cats into our back yard, we are continually throwing out cat food scattered around the yard, he also leave cat food on the roof of his car but that only seems to attract the magpies. Another person in our block has a cat trap but doesn't want to use it as we have possums in our trees and they roam around the yard at night.
Lol at the merkin leaving food on the roof of his car!

And if you're not exaggerating about the lady with 30+ cats, that's insane. Like seriously, not mentally well....

gUt

Coach
@horrie hastings I would call the RSPCA about that cat lady plus you could probably have her sectioned and/or complain about the health hazard both to herself and to the neighbours who have to live with 40-50 cats' worth of piss and shit in their gardens.

Cat poo is not to be tolerated, you can catch Toxoplasmosis from it, let alone the neighbourhood kids.

Latest posts