What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dean Pay quits Bulldogs

Perth Red

Post Whore
Whats the go with Anthony Griffin? He seems to have done pretty good job in his other positions (55% win ratio) yet no one seems to want him. Is there something they know we dont? I remember Gould doing a hatchet job on him, has that stuck I wonder?

Big Pete

Referee
Bellamy was playing when Bennett was already coaching the Broncos. He'll be stinking up the league with his grubby tactics for years to come. Hopefully once COVID-Cam retires he won't enjoy the same success from it anymore.

I can't see Bellamy or too many coaches for that matter following in Bennett's foot-steps. I'd be shocked if he continues coaching Melbourne once Smith retires and the only way I can see him sticking around as a head coach is if the Brisbane Bombers make him an offer too good to refuse.

St George, Canterbury, Parramatta, Manly and most of the Sydney clubs that don't run substantial development systems will have cycles of success and failure on the field, exactly as is happening now. Even the Panthers will have cycles, but our bad years will be like 2019 (one point out of the 8). While you have Broncos, Storm and Roosters all winning more than their share every year you must have other clubs losing.

Hopefully the NRL does more to incentivise clubs to develop players. Gus seems to have V'landy's ear, so I think we'll see some major changes in junior development in the coming seasons. Historically, St George Illawarra have always had a strong junior base, so I can see them turning it around. They just had something of a loss generation where other clubs were allowed to pry Jack Bird, Addin Fonua-Blake and Jackson Hastings away from the team.

They've got some promising players coming through the grades, if they can bring a coach in with a vision for the club they'll be up amongst it.

Right now they're playing better football, but a lot of their changes seem very short sighted.

I still can't see things remaining the way they are. The Dragons have barely been a threat these past eight years, six of which have been under Mary. Something has to give there and I expect them to turn things around in the 2020s.

Similarly, Canterbury have been one of the worst teams of the past four years. They're too strong a club for that to continue and I expect them to have a much bigger presence in the player market.

Big Pete

Referee
Whats the go with Anthony Griffin?

He's a very limited coach.

Likes to put size on his players and getting them into the arm wrestle, but struggles to implement strong systems on both sides of the ball.

His recruitment and retention leaves a lot to be desired.

He's a solid caretaker coach if you were desperate and needed somebody to fill a gap, but he's not the type of coach who is going to turn your club into a premiership force.

betcats

Referee
He's a very limited coach.

Likes to put size on his players and getting them into the arm wrestle, but struggles to implement strong systems on both sides of the ball.

His recruitment and retention leaves a lot to be desired.

He's a solid caretaker coach if you were desperate and needed somebody to fill a gap, but he's not the type of coach who is going to turn your club into a premiership force.

Jamie Soward described his coaching as headmaster like and boring.

His first year at Penrith he banned attacking kicks because he didnt like giving away 7 tackle sets, according to fitler anyway.

Incorrect

Coach
Dean Pay is just another example of a very good or great player being a shit coach
A great player. Of the filthy four that joined my club in the 90's, he was my favourite. Old school hard.

But yeah, anecdotally, the evidence suggests he is limited in coaching ability. While defensive coach at the Raiders, they were a team renowned for the philosophy of, "no matter how many the opposition score, we'll score more". Since he left, the Raiders defence has improved markedly...

shear_joy9

Coach
A great player. Of the filthy four that joined my club in the 90's, he was my favourite. Old school hard.

But yeah, anecdotally, the evidence suggests he is limited in coaching ability. While defensive coach at the Raiders, they were a team renowned for the philosophy of, "no matter how many the opposition score, we'll score more". Since he left, the Raiders defence has improved markedly...

the general mood of the squad also greatly increased when resting frown face left the club

ouwet

Bench
Its rare I get pissed off at what other clubs do, but I am with this.

Good for you!

It’s all been written before but the dogs were crippled years ago by shocking salary cap management and Dean Pay (a former great of the club) took up the most unenviable coaching position in the comp.

Former great? Please, he lost that title when he dogged the club along with the others who signed for Super League and then went ARL and Parramatta on more money (Loyalty he got this time is the loyalty he gave the club back in 1995)

The club has also since denied Pay the opportunity to get Josh Reynolds back, while they lost 2 players earlier this year to behaviours that also cost the club a major sponsor.

The Tiger's wanted us to pay 400K of his 800K contract for this year (10 or so more games) LMFAO! The 100K initially reported in the media is the usual rubbish they publish and Kent did even acknowledge himself it was more the Tiger's wanted. Get off the drugs if you think the club should've allowed it!

The bloke has been up against it from the start, and never been given the tools and support needed to lift the Dogs out of the absolute mess caused by others.

He knew what he came into... He knew our cap situation, he knew the talent or lack of... He knew his hands were tied for a few years at a minimum. Ray Dib and Des Hasler royally F'd the club, his total shunning of our juniors killed us for years... Our juniors are slowing improving and our junior sides are slowly rising again, we will be a force again soon.

Now they’re talking to Trent Barrett, a bloke who quit on his former club in the middle of a contract, and when Manly were running awful. So this is the kind of person they feel could work.....???? A bloke who quits when the going gets tough....

He has learnt from Manly... Manly are a rubble and are still that today! With a few injuries they're a shadow of Manly who can compete for the top 8, it's classic Hasler, worry about the top 17 and ignore the rest.

For what used to be known as the family club, they are a complete opposite of that now, and farce of a joint. Dean Pay is the only bloke in that club who should hold his head up high.

Nah buddy even though the club doesn't have too (He quit) we are paying him the remaining year of this contract... No other club would do so unless they have too, we DON'T HAVE TOO.

Good for you!

Former great? Please, he lost that title when he dogged the club along with the others who signed for Super League and then went ARL and Parramatta on more money (Loyalty he got this time is the loyalty he gave the club back in 1995)

The Tiger's wanted us to pay 400K of his 800K contract for this year (10 or so more games) LMFAO! The 100K initially reported in the media is the usual rubbish they publish and Kent did even acknowledge himself it was more the Tiger's wanted. Get off the drugs if you think the club should've allowed it!

He knew what he came into... He knew our cap situation, he knew the talent or lack of... He knew his hands were tied for a few years at a minimum. Ray Dib and Des Hasler royally F'd the club, his total shunning of our juniors killed us for years... Our juniors are slowing improving and our junior sides are slowly rising again, we will be a force again soon.

He has learnt from Manly... Manly are a rubble and are still that today! With a few injuries they're a shadow of Manly who can compete for the top 8, it's classic Hasler, worry about the top 17 and ignore the rest.

Nah buddy even though the club doesn't have too (He quit) we are paying him the remaining year of this contract... No other club would do so unless they have too, we DON'T HAVE TOO.

You were mounting a case for an interesting read, then.. "get off the drugs..."

Couldn't laugh more after that.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Panthers Top 30 Players off contract this year:

Jed Cartwright (signed for 2021 by Rabbitohs)
Kaide Ellis (now @ Dragons, but available for 2021)
Tyrone May (to sign shortly)
Braydon McGrady
James Tamou (still haggling, may be available to other clubs at the right price)
Malakai Watene-Zelezniak

Hardly a list likely to take the Dogs back to the glory days of the 80's is it?

I meant juniors.

Whip Whitaker

Juniors
Whats the go with Anthony Griffin? He seems to have done pretty good job in his other positions (55% win ratio) yet no one seems to want him. Is there something they know we dont? I remember Gould doing a hatchet job on him, has that stuck I wonder?

Phil Gould trashed Griffin's name by calling him old school. In reality, Griffin didn't want to be a puppet, and let Gould secretly call the shots.

There was a point when Ricky Stuart stood up to Gould, and they had a falling out for over a decade.

He’s a bit boring and repetitive and boring like yourself and that kinda grates on people.

MKCS

Juniors
Some surprising posts in this thread with people calling for DWZ, Napa and Jackson to be released. When DWZ first signed with the Dogs I recall him having a few good games before losing motivation, Napa was a grand final winner and played Origin last year whilst Jackson seems to be one of the few who actually tries to win for the Dogs. With some new signings and a coach that can get them firing who knows how they'll go?

With Cotric signing for next year the backline doesn't look too horrible. Nick Meaney, DWZ, Cotric are all good when they're on. Halves and forwards leave a lot to be desired though but media says Dogs have 2.5 million to spend which could definitely pick you up a decent half and some improvements in the forwards.

Someone suggested Tamou I don't think he'd be a horrible 1 or 2 year option for them. Could do much worse than Tamou/Napa as your starting props.