What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Crichton elbows player in the face - Roosters penalty?

SDM

First Grade
There were some questionable calls last night, mostly helping the Roosters.

But this incident will never be a penalty, despite the fact he probably knew where he was, and there was probably some intent, he looks like he is just fighting to play the ball.

It is not even in the same galaxy as some of Cam Smiths kicks and stomps in similar situations.

Meth

Staff member
I think that the argument can definitely be made that the contact was incidental, though suspicious. Papalii’s response was understandable.

I thought the penalty should have gone against the Roosters for Tupouniua’s involvement.

Haven’t looked at it post match though

Valheru

Coach
What is getting missed here, is the Roosters tactic of trying to give away penalties everytime the Raiders were in the red zone. Wrestling, being way offside and slowing down the play the ball.

Roosters players were openly calling for the referee to penalise them.

Its pure bastardry. The set restart, has helped, but refs are just to reluctant to penslise more then once a game in this situation. It needs repeated sin binnings.

What were your thoughts when Raiders gave away 3 set restarts and a penalty within 5 minutes on their own line in the first half?

Valheru

Coach
equally as bad was josh morris pretending to jump from a burning building and being awarded a penalty.

it is absolutely pathetic that when a play doesn't work for the roosters or storm the ref's automatic mindset is that the opposition must have done some foul play.

We made 13 errors last night so that is 13 times in one game the ref didn't have the mindset you are alleging.

Canard

Immortal
What were your thoughts when Raiders gave away 3 set restarts and a penalty within 5 minutes on their own line in the first half?

That this sort of officiating is how negative play should be dealt with.

The leniency shown the Roosters was appalling. Everyone single tackle in there redzone was either a penalty or a set restart.

Valheru

Coach
That this sort of officiating is how negative play should be dealt with.

The leniency shown the Roosters was appalling. Everyone single tackle in there redzone was either a penalty or a set restart.

Rubbish

The ref officiated it the same way in both instances.

nick87

Coach
Looking at it objectively, I thought the Wighton tackle deserved a penalty and the Cordner one didn’t.

They’re actually very different tackled. Wighton got the hand between the legs of a player who was already held by two others and lifted a little. Cordner’s was just good technique and shouldn’t have been penalised.

Just my opinion.

Yeah i agree with that. But as others have said i do think the Cordner was was probably a bit of a square up for this Crichton f**k up.
The penalty on rapana was absolutely laughable. Imagine blowing that? haha. Thank god we challenged it.

I think the captain's challenge is the most Raider-friendly rule that has ever come into the game.

With the amount of times we're blatantly stitched up by the refs, it's a godsend.

If only we could've used it on the Crichton situation. It's ridiculous that you can elbow someone in the nose, make said nose bleed and then receive a penalty. I don't expect anything less from Sutton though.

footy75

Bench
Do you actually have any proof of this claim or is this just a suspicion. With that hypothesis the roosters or storm would get a penalty for every one of their loose carries.

That hypothesis then immediately fails upon the first test.

Fans of weaker/less successful teams love to claim that referees constantly favor top teams when in reality this can mostly be explained by a cognitive bias, and can be automatically disproven when looking at actual penalties for and against.

Stop talking sense.

You must be lost.

skeepe

Immortal
I think that the argument can definitely be made that the contact was incidental, though suspicious. Papalii’s response was understandable.

I thought the penalty should have gone against the Roosters for Tupouniua’s involvement.

Haven’t looked at it post match though

I see your argument, but it’s inconsistent with how tacklers are treated. The onus is always on the tackler to avoid contact with the head, so any contact, even accidental, is penalised.

I would argue that if you’re going to start throwing elbows around to get the tackler off you, then the same rule should apply. Accident or not, Crichton didn’t have to make that motion with his elbow. If he wants to, he should be responsible for the outcome.

gUt

Coach
Seemed like a deliberate shot from Chrichton to me, not necessarily to plant it on Papa's nose but certainly to give him a shit time of it. Unfortunately it's an unwritten rule of all contact sports that the retaliation is always more heavily scrutinised/punished than the instigation.

blue bags

First Grade
Raiders were lucky Papalii wasn't binned for headbutting Crichton's elbow, imo.

Same with Rapana and the professional foul of holding your ground.
yes papa should have been sin bined, or sent off for what he did, its an outrage

_Johnsy

Referee
Seemed like a deliberate shot from Chrichton to me, not necessarily to plant it on Papa's nose but certainly to give him a shit time of it. Unfortunately it's an unwritten rule of all contact sports that the retaliation is always more heavily scrutinised/punished than the instigation.
Funnily enough a player can lose his feet and drop suddenly & the tackler makes accidental contact with a players head, through absolutely no fault of his own & Penalty blown in every instance. Yet Chrichton can throw his elbow backwards towards Pappas head, full well knowing that’s where it is, make contact and nada. Ridiculous application of the rule.