What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Indigenous jersey

Coffs dragon

Bench
Was it Seinfeld where one of the characters said they weren’t racist because they had a black friend?

As for the Illawarra business, it’s an alternate jersey. Not a representation of Illawarra.

Every team has an alternate.

Indigenous round helps provide awareness and funding to help close the gap in areas such as health, education and economy between Australia’s first people and the rest of the country.

It’s a great initiative & a way to help us all learn a little more about the land on which we stand.

It’s funny, we often refer to our 11 in a row streak as an driver of our club culture.. But whilst that streak was happening, in society we hadn’t even officially acknowledged aborigines as people?

We’ve only been doing that for a bit over 50 years. Still plenty of culture to change in our society.
Yeah right & at the end of the day I don’t see the need to disagree & debate about a Jersey. There’s far more concerning health issues circulating in our World that are of major significance to all skin colours and all race.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Yeah right & at the end of the day I don’t see the need to disagree & debate about a Jersey. There’s far more concerning health issues circulating in our World that are of major significance to all skin colours and all race.
All Lives Matter, hey?

Splinters

Juniors
Belittling another culture does..

It looks like a souvenir shop tea towel. There, I said it. Now you can drag me off to the gulag.

By the way, I also don't think much of the Marvel Comics weekend jerseys. Do I also get Siberia for that?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
It looks like a souvenir shop tea towel. There, I said it. Now you can drag me off to the gulag.
Case in point as to how far our society has to come.

By the way, I also don't think much of the Marvel Comics weekend jerseys. Do I also get Siberia for that?
That depends. Has Iron Man or Ant Man suffered in the same way the aboriginal culture has?

Splinters

Juniors
Hey, you're the one who said sorry.

I like the whale. And incorporating the boomerang to form a red V is cool. Plus there's more than meets the eye in the overall design. I also like the fact that it was designed in consultation and recognition of local indigenous people of the Dharawal Country.

But each to their own. Which part of the jersey don't you like? There's obviously a lot going on in the design. So you just don't like all of it?

The problem here is that he is being badgered over an aesthetic issue, a simple matter of personal taste.

He doesn't like the jersey. So what? If he said he didn't like the Mona Lisa would it be a big problem?

No, but in this case we have to have the commissars and opinion-patrollers come out from under the fridge to make sure that everybody talks in lockstep.

You don't think there is anything wrong with that?

So you'll let it drop as long as he says he likes it. That is all he has to do, bend to your will and say he likes it. Well maybe he doesn't like to have you deciding what he can and can't say.

It is mental that you are insisting on that. Just let him like it or not like it.

Splinters

Juniors
Case in point as to how far our society has to come.

That depends. Has Iron Man or Ant Man suffered in the same way the aboriginal culture has?

Your view is that to honor Aboriginal culture (actually it is simply a cynical NRL marketing activity) he must say that he likes something that he simply doesn't like?

Is it the case that his free speech and expression of personal taste offends Aborigines?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Your view is that to honor Aboriginal culture (actually it is simply a cynical NRL marketing activity) he must say that he likes something that he simply doesn't like?

Is it the case that his free speech and expression of personal taste offends Aborigines?
He didn’t say it wasn’t to his taste. He likened a cultural drawing to a kid’s fun book.

That’s belittling, which is racism.

Not sure why you can’t see that.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
It is mental that you are insisting on that.
Except I never insisted on any of that.

I know what 'mental' is. Making up stuff, carrying on over nothing, paranoia, promoting ignorance and gross hypocrisy are all 'qualities' of the unhinged.

blue bags

First Grade
all indigenous art-jerseys vary in style of course,
from the north to the south, west to east,in artistic feelings of country
some designs are very busy,with many focus points of different loud colors. trying to grab your attention
some are subtle laid back, soft shades, mellow designs
this indigenous st,George Illawarra dragons steelers jersey , has that balance
and is the best red n white indigenous jersey i have seen, and maybe the best indigenous club jersey ever in all sports
very nice work and effort has gone into it, you can tell
thankyou

Paddles

Juniors
Awesome art.

The jersey would look better without the massive corporate logos plastered across it though. It would be great if for occasions like this the club and sponsors could work something out. Maybe remove the advertising/have smaller ads on the sleeves and make up for it with some press about how and why they were doing it. Corporate types would still get their heads in the media, and it would be a better product. I'd be more inclined to buy an artistic shirt that didn't look like half a billboard.

No I’m not a racist Muzby and I actually have some beautiful Aboriginal art that is framed and hanging in my house that I admire. Everybody has different taste and appreciation of artwork. My personal opinion of this particular jersey was it was not one of my favourites.

As for the Illawarra stuff, I just believe the current away jersey is the worst & most bland design in the JV history IMO.
For your information, whilst I was born and bred in the St.George district, I am a firm believer in the Joint Venture. As a matter of fact it is my personal opinion that the Dragons should have 1 home only and 1 home ground and that should be in the ILLAWARRA region of Wollongong.
Does that make me a racist or just someone that has a personal opinion & view of things within our great club (United as one)
I hope you now don’t perceive me as a racist against Kogarah & it’s multicultural residents for my personal view on where I see our future direction belongs.
don't feed the troll! Coffs

Walpole

Juniors
Awesome art.

The jersey would look better without the massive corporate logos plastered across it though. It would be great if for occasions like this the club and sponsors could work something out. Maybe remove the advertising/have smaller ads on the sleeves and make up for it with some press about how and why they were doing it. Corporate types would still get their heads in the media, and it would be a better product. I'd be more inclined to buy an artistic shirt that didn't look like half a billboard.
Absolutely agree. Looks great, especially the boomerang Red V, but could do without all the advertising. There should be a version you can get that just has the artwork.

I’m sorry that you see someone not accepting a culture being belittled as “trolling”.

That’s quite a sad view of the world.
nothing racist about it he doesn't have to like something just because it was done by an indigenous artist art is subjective but you being the moral authority on the issue is quite humorous I'm part indigenous and I don't like the design either oooooh what a bigot I must be lol you're a peanut and if anything youre worse than ever

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
nothing racist about it he doesn't have to like something just because it was done by an indigenous artist art is subjective but you being the moral authority on the issue is quite humorous I'm part indigenous and I don't like the design either oooooh what a bigot I must be lol you're a peanut and if anything youre worse than ever
You’re not the sharpest tool in the shed, are you?

Based on your view of the world, I’m okay with you calling me that..

Enjoy the game today.
You don’t know my view of the world so more pointless dribble from you you’re an expert at dribble so at least you’re good at something lol you enjoy the game too