What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sunshine Coast

I’m very hopeful that after the Storm finish their season on the Sunny coast and show that there is real interest in the game up here and we will get multiple NRL games in the future.

Last night we sold out the 6k tickets available days before the game, the Knights game sold out in less than 24hrs and I have no doubt all the remaining Storm home games will sell out as well.

It is a big area growing faster than any other regional area in the country, much bigger than Townsville in fact yet it never gets mentioned in regards to NRL which will hopefully change after this Covid period.

The council are very supportive of NRL having already upgraded the stadium and installing new international broadcast LED lighting and have committed another 18 million towards future upgrades.

Hopefully my days of living on the sunny coast and seeing very little NRL are about to change.9E58C15B-DF9F-40D6-B78C-477477F04FB9.jpeg29B03FA7-9A19-4D73-A2DC-32E9C4BD1C0D.jpeg

Perth Red

Post Whore
I’m very hopeful that after the Storm finish their season on the Sunny coast and show that there is real interest in the game up here and we will get multiple NRL games in the future.

Last night we sold out the 6k tickets available days before the game, the Knights game sold out in less than 24hrs and I have no doubt all the remaining Storm home games will sell out as well.

It is a big area growing faster than any other regional area in the country, much bigger than Townsville in fact yet it never gets mentioned in regards to NRL which will hopefully change after this Covid period.

The council are very supportive of NRL having already upgraded the stadium and installing new international broadcast LED lighting and have committed another 18 million towards future upgrades.

Hopefully my days of living on the sunny coast and seeing very little NRL are about to change.View attachment 40058View attachment 40059

if you could get a 20k plus capacity Stadium like in second pic Im sure there would be many more games played there. Reality is clubs take games on the road for one reason only, money! For it to be worth their while they need to sell tickets, sell corporate boxes and get some funding from the local or state government.

if you could get a 20k plus capacity Stadium like in second pic Im sure there would be many more games played there. Reality is clubs take games on the road for one reason only, money! For it to be worth their while they need to sell tickets, sell corporate boxes and get some funding from the local or state government.
Totally agree hopefully these games and government support will make it happen as per this article.

https://www.sunshinecoaststadium.su...l-plans-for-future-of-sunshine-coast-stadium/

jim_57

Staff member
Sunny Coast is much the same size as Central Coast NSW where a lot of people still like to say we need a team. I'd expand to Sunshine Coast before putting another team in NSW on the Central Coast. They are probably down the list but if the Dolphins bid gets up it'd be good to see them play 3-4 games a year there.

Expansion aside they definitely should be a hot spot for more games.

Sunny Coast is much the same size as Central Coast NSW where a lot of people still like to say we need a team. I'd expand to Sunshine Coast before putting another team in NSW on the Central Coast. They are probably down the list but if the Dolphins bid gets up it'd be good to see them play 3-4 games a year there.

Expansion aside they definitely should be a hot spot for more games.
Spot on, exactly the same size as the the central coast but growing faster.

Our council supports the NRL and give financial incentives to teams to play here so hopefully it will be as common as the central coast that games are played here.

Perhaps this should be in the expansion thread.

I don’t know as much as others will about the demographics and legitimacy of a side to be based here, but I’m all for another QLD side in the competition and ideally would prefer it outside of Brisbane (even though Brisbane mk2 could make the most financial sense).

A team up here is not realistic just yet but what I will say is just like the Gold Coast the majority of residents are from somewhere else and already have allegiances to other teams but for some reason are more inclined to support the local team in my opinion than GC residents.

Everybody I know who supports another team would get a membership and support a local team.

No way are there that many Melbourne fans up here but every game will sell out just like the warriors v Souths did with 12 500 sold out weeks in advance.

All we can do is keep turning up and more footy will follow.

sempmrh

Juniors
I’m happy to see how well looked after Storm is up there. Be it Storm or the Lightning, it seems like the area appreciates having teams play there. I’ve been fine with us moving a home game interstate and would be happy to play a game each season on the Sunshine Coast - provided we can switch to being an away team for Magic Round.

I’m happy to see how well looked after Storm is up there. Be it Storm or the Lightning, it seems like the area appreciates having teams play there. I’ve been fine with us moving a home game interstate and would be happy to play a game each season on the Sunshine Coast - provided we can switch to being an away team for Magic Round.
I’m shocked both Cronulla and Souths signed two year deals to play here but Melbourne hadn’t even played a trial.

Considering the Sunshine Coast Falcons are their feeder team and they own the very successful Lighting it just makes sense as they are investing in this area to play a game up here and increase their supporter base.

sempmrh

Juniors
I’m shocked both Cronulla and Souths signed two year deals to play here but Melbourne hadn’t even played a trial.

Considering the Sunshine Coast Falcons are their feeder team and they own the very successful Lighting it just makes sense as they are investing in this area to play a game up here and increase their supporter base.
I’m sure Storm have played a trial game up there before. I couldn’t tell you the year but I’m positive we have.

I would say the thing standing in the way of playing more games up there before now would have been existing deals to take a game away from home. The members down here wouldn’t be happy to lose another home game. Any future Storm NRL games on the Sunshine Coast would have to be instead of our Magic Round home game.

I’m sure Storm have played a trial game up there before. I couldn’t tell you the year but I’m positive we have.

I would say the thing standing in the way of playing more games up there before now would have been existing deals to take a game away from home. The members down here wouldn’t be happy to lose another home game. Any future Storm NRL games on the Sunshine Coast would have to be instead of our Magic Round home game.

I have been here seven years but I think you are correct that they played a trial prior to that but that was before they had any links with the area.

Hopefully all this media about our crowds will help us in the long run, people finally know how much support there is for the NRL.

Hopefully we won’t have any more seasons go by without a premiership game.

flippikat

Bench
Easts Tigers and Sunshine Coast Falcons should merge.

East Coast Falcons.

6 games on the Sunshine Coast, the other 6 at Lang Park.

That's not a bad idea, if Easts gets their bid approved as the 2nd Brisbane team.

To be honest though, I think the more natural fit is Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast as a sort of northern suburbs/Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast regional club - akin to St George-Illawarra, or what some here propose for Manly's future (all points north of the bridge, plus the Central Coast) - and THAT is probably a prospect after we've got a more central Brisbane 2nd team (Bombers or Firehawks), or Western Corridor.

My gut feeling is the NRL should go for Firebirds OR Western Corridor first, then work on all the infrastructure needed for a northern/Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast club.

That's not a bad idea, if Easts gets their bid approved as the 2nd Brisbane team.

To be honest though, I think the more natural fit is Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast as a sort of northern suburbs/Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast regional club - akin to St George-Illawarra, or what some here propose for Manly's future (all points north of the bridge, plus the Central Coast) - and THAT is probably a prospect after we've got a more central Brisbane 2nd team (Bombers or Firehawks), or Western Corridor.

My gut feeling is the NRL should go for Firebirds OR Western Corridor first, then work on alI l the infrastructure needed for a northern/Redcliffe/Sunshine Coast club.
Easts could add a "firehawk" logo to a Falcon mascot, as one of the three species of firehawks is the brown falcon. Two syllable names are easier to chant at games, so I would go with Falcons over Firehawks. Ford Falcon lovers would adopt them as their team.

eastcoast.png

Plenty of businesses from Logan, Brisbane, Redland and Moreton Bay Region call themselves "East Coast". A team could easily represent all of these cities by calling itself East Coast.

Latest posts