What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Zac Lomax

redVinme

Juniors
I don't often agree with you but on this score I think you are correct.
Frizz is a hard nut and that's about it.

Even at rep level he brings little more than what we see at club level.

I think he was a middle that just got left on the edge and in the end he became a neither nor player.

In a better system I think he would have developed better skills and provided more but even that would be somewhat limited IMO due to his body shape.

Not looking for an argument with you but I also believe that is a major part of Aitken's issues playing centre.

He & Frizz's body shape is like a block (cube) of granite with little flexibility to enable them to rotate their upper body independently to get the correct alignment required to pass or offload.

Especially true IMO if their lower body (hips down) has a defender hanging onto it.

Both terrifically energetic and powerful but playing inside or outside them looking for the ball is a nightmare.

I get your angle mate but for mine I think it's less about body type and more about awareness. Without repetition and a lot of simulation training players who aren't naturally good at take a lot of work. Players who are natural ball players often appear like they have more time and Can assess what is happening a lot quicker. Going off what you are saying about body type I can't agree. There are some blokes that look like a fridge that play yawnion but even their props can often throw 20 metre spirals. They are trained to be able to do so because it is what their game requires. The idea that a professional athlete can't do a basic fundamental skill is embarrassing. Imagine a basketball or soccer player not being able to pass Properly.

Spazer

Juniors
It's an unpopular opinion on here but Aitken has been a solid centre this season. He had a great game, ran hard and gave us quick play the balls. Defensively he has improved and with Dufty and Clune feeding him gaps he has become an even better attacking player than previous seasons.

I haven't seen much of Brayden Williame this year due to injury but he wont be taking Aitkens spot.

And Lomax, apart from J moz and Jennings, is currently one of the best centres in the comp.

It's an unpopular opinion on here but Aitken has been a solid centre this season. He had a great game, ran hard and gave us quick play the balls. Defensively he has improved and with Dufty and Clune feeding him gaps he has become an even better attacking player than previous seasons.

I haven't seen much of Brayden Williame this year due to injury but he wont be taking Aitkens spot.

And Lomax, apart from J moz and Jennings, is currently one of the best centres in the comp.
Agree re Aitkin. Flanno has saved his career for the moment at least, and Duffy's and Clune's.

Zac has been outstanding! You don't make 30 tackles as a centre without looking for more work. He is really owning the attacking bomb as well, as seen in the first minute.

Old Timer

Coach
Lomax has made the most tackles of any centre in the comp. Even with a game at fullback and wing.
I really like Zac and what he is doing at centre but I honestly think he has a great future as a 13 in a year or so.

He is incredibly strong, has a big motor, his workmate is high and very efficient and he has good vision of where to be.

If JDB is lost to the club I would be very seriously looking at developing Zac into that role as I believe he can handle it easily and would probably relish the extra workload that goes with it.

Potentially a modern day Brad Clyde for mine.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I really like Zac and what he is doing at centre but I honestly think he has a great future as a 13 in a year or so.

He is incredibly strong, has a big motor, his workmate is high and very efficient and he has good vision of where to be.

If JDB is lost to the club I would be very seriously looking at developing Zac into that role as I believe he can handle it easily and would probably relish the extra workload that goes with it.

Potentially a modern day Brad Clyde for mine.
source.gif

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Self portrait muzby?
I wouldn't be surprised as you are certainly the sniggering type.
Sorry bro, would it have made more sense to you if I simply said he’s proving himself to be a good centre and shifting him to lock would be a waste of talent?

RedVDave

First Grade

I have to agree sign him to a 1 year deal every year for the next 6 seasons plays his best football when coming off-contract.

Old Timer

Coach
Sorry bro, would it have made more sense to you if I simply said he’s proving himself to be a good centre and shifting him to lock would be a waste of talent?
What’s with all the bro shit cuz?

No need to say he’s proving himself to be a good central as I’ve already said and acknowledged that.

The concept of future options/planning is obviously well beyond you but that is not surprising as after all you are an Illawarra legacy.

PS maybe you should do a DNA test and see if you are Mc Fookknuckle’s love child as you both have the same lack of foresight.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
What’s with all the bro shit cuz?

No need to say he’s proving himself to be a good central as I’ve already said and acknowledged that.

The concept of future options/planning is obviously well beyond you but that is not surprising as after all you are an Illawarra legacy.

PS maybe you should do a DNA test and see if you are Mc Fookknuckle’s love child as you both have the same lack of foresight.
A good central?

Do you even league, bro?

Forbes Creek Dragons

First Grade
He just makes stuff happen and looks for work even at centre. Building nicely, Aitken while looking better largely from Clunes addition imo, still frustrates the crap out of me. At least twice last night he had chances to pass to Saab who was either unmarked or at very least in a better position and he just tucks up the ball and takes the tackle.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
Agree! Don’t think Aitken’s latest form is necessarily connected to contract motivation. Never doubted his strong running style but now we have a bettter shape to our attack over the past 6 weeks, he is getting the ball ‘at the line’ rather than before it.
This in turn diminishes the need for him to turn to other skills which he appears to lack. Combined with his defensive limitations his still overall game in my opinion is not of a ‘top 4 side‘ standard.

Last edited:
With Lafai named in the squad for the last couple of games, and Zac’s knee being strapped up, Zac would seem to be carrying an injury.

Does anyone know whether the kid is carrying an injury and if so the extent of it?

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
Does anyone know whether the kid is carrying an injury and if so the extent of it?
Nah, it just fashionable amongst the youth of today to have medical strapping on different parts of your body..

Back before they closed the nightclubs you’d see people in there drinking and dancing in all kinds of bandaged getups..

Not really my cup of tea, but hey.. At least bandages are less permanent than a tattoo that’s trendy now but looks crap in 10 years..

Latest posts