What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Referees Making Up the Rules on the Spot Thread

T-Boon

Coach
Yeah, see this is where you and I disagree.

They make way too many mistakes for professionals and offer way too little contrition.

The things that usually get called horrible mistakes are often 50/50 calls that could go either way so there is always 50% of the fans that are going to think it is an epically horrible call.

mave

Coach
NRL don't help themselves by having ex players in the bunker doing games on their ex team, 18 months after retirement.

It's a bad look when 50/50 calls go to said team.

Meth

Staff member
The things that usually get called horrible mistakes are often 50/50 calls that could go either way so there is always 50% of the fans that are going to think it is an epically horrible call.

Look, I get that. I'm generally going to be aggrieved when 50/50 calls go against us. But I think you'll find A LOT of neutrals were of the same mind in that particular game. Nobody hates the Titans. The refs were just bad.

And when, in the same way, I watch games with no particular interest in who wins or loses, the refs are bad.

AJB1102

First Grade
44 missed tackles and 31 errors in that NZ v Tits game.

The officials weren't the only professionals making mistakes.

Meth

Staff member
44 missed tackles and 31 errors in that NZ v Tits game.

The officials weren't the only professionals making mistakes.

Oh, for sure. I'm not claiming the Warriors deserved to win. They missed tackles and failed to capitalize on the opportunities that they had. I've seen some teams genuinely robbed- but the Warriors were not on the night.

But just as the refereeing performance doesn't excuse the players', the players' performance doesn't excuse the referee's

T-Boon

Coach
I think a bad ref decision would be “I don’t know, I can’t decide, you guys sort it out”.

siv

First Grade
The one that gets me are the following

Feed across the scrum - no longer enforced

Opposition hooker striking for the ball causing the half to knock on is now a refeed

siv

First Grade
Also whats

6 again penalty 6 again 6 again penalty penalty

Sin bin or play on ??

Vee

First Grade
Maybe it's not the referees but the rules which are grey or change every year. In addition, a bunch of wankers keep putting shit of referees no matter which way the decision is made.

e.g. When I started watching the game, forward passes were easy to tell, if it didn't go back, it was forward. Now, backward out of the hands but going forward, line balls, "looks forward but isn't" makes it impossible for referees to call forward passes. How is a referee supposed to tell forward passes at a lightning pace when he's not looking for the ball to travel forward but trying to remember the players' hands.

That's just 1 simple RL rule. Now, with even more complicated things like holding down and wrestling, it makes the Refs job impossible.
As a past ref, that was always one of the easiest calls. Just watch the hands. Could never understand why so many people couldn't get it.

Vee

First Grade
BYC cleans up a grubber and get tackled 5m out. Quick ptb denied by Reynolds dragging him back down, 6tg ruled.

But it was tackle 1 5m out. There's got to be more disincentive to do that, penalty should be àn option.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Oh, for sure. I'm not claiming the Warriors deserved to win. They missed tackles and failed to capitalize on the opportunities that they had. I've seen some teams genuinely robbed- but the Warriors were not on the night.

But just as the refereeing performance doesn't excuse the players', the players' performance doesn't excuse the referee's

i think the point is human beings make mistakes!

mxlegend99

Referee
How about the inconsistency last week to this week in what is a strip? Last week Waqa Blake blatantly strips the ball from a players hands in a 2man tackle. Its deemed perfectly fine as the bunker said he was looking to offload.

This week Hiku does something similar and less blatant. But its now a strip for some reason. The situation s nearly identical.

I think the Hiku one was correct and the Blake one was wrong. But how can nearly identical situations change so much in a week? In the game day thread they said it was the same guy for both aswell. His own interpretation changed to either help Eels / screw Sea Eagles or help Roosters / screw Warriors.

skeepe

Immortal
How about the inconsistency last week to this week in what is a strip? Last week Waqa Blake blatantly strips the ball from a players hands in a 2man tackle. Its deemed perfectly fine as the bunker said he was looking to offload.

This week Hiku does something similar and less blatant. But its now a strip for some reason. The situation s nearly identical.

I think the Hiku one was correct and the Blake one was wrong. But how can nearly identical situations change so much in a week? In the game day thread they said it was the same guy for both aswell. His own interpretation changed to either help Eels / screw Sea Eagles or help Roosters / screw Warriors.

Yeah that was bad. It’s ridiculous frankly that they continue to get it wrong.

The Ryan Sutton obstruction is actually a new made-up rule too - even though it was a defensive decision by Cook, the ruling was “Sutton hits the defender with force” which is nowhere in the rule book.

So how much force does it take for a defensive decision to change into obstruction? How many Newtons?

Meth

Staff member
I'm annoyed that the bunker officials have been relegated after another ordinary performance last night (Dragons v Sharks). It's almost as if the refs are saying that there are consequences when referees get it horribly wrong, but they are dishing crap up every week and there is little to no consequence or accountability- what makes this one so especially bad?

Anyway- I actually thought Chris Sutton was very good last night.

gerg

Juniors
Yeah that was bad. It’s ridiculous frankly that they continue to get it wrong.

The Ryan Sutton obstruction is actually a new made-up rule too - even though it was a defensive decision by Cook, the ruling was “Sutton hits the defender with force” which is nowhere in the rule book.

So how much force does it take for a defensive decision to change into obstruction? How many Newtons?

The more replays I see of the Sutton/Cook one the more annoyed I get. Cook is sliding out to follow the ball, then just pauses and let's Sutton run into his inside shoulder. Surely it is a defensive decision.

Pistol_Pete

Juniors
There is one piece of shit that takes the biscuit - Bill Harrigan.

Apparently it is against the rules to tap the ball forward when there was no marker and run into an offside player ... in a grand final no less. What a shame Fulton's cement truck didn't get him in 1987, then reverse over the PoS to make sure he got him.

Latest posts