What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

No team has ever won the premiership after conceding 50pts in a regular season match

greenBV4

Bench
So I was looking up the record for the most points conceded in an nrl season with high hopes for everyones favourite Broncos, Turns out Western Suburbs holds it with 944..
Gee that would've been a hard team to follow, for multiple reasons as well I guess

Sphagnum

Coach
So I was looking up the record for the most points conceded in an nrl season with high hopes for everyones favourite Broncos, Turns out Western Suburbs holds it with 944..
Gee that would've been a hard team to follow, for multiple reasons as well I guess
Yeah, the Maggies must’ve bronco’d it up pretty hard that year

RedVDave

First Grade
Even if the Tigers concede 50 tonight I don't think it'll interfere with their annual 9th placed finish.

JamesRustle

First Grade
Can you pls advise what the avg points conceded per game was for West's.

It may be important as this is a shortened season isn't it, so that will be the only way to see how close Broncos get to the record.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Can you pls advise what the avg points conceded per game was for West's.

It may be important as this is a shortened season isn't it, so that will be the only way to see how close Broncos get to the record.

39.6 points per game roughly.

It was their final season before the merge and by the end of the season everyone was putting 40-60 points on them.

Lost their last 12 games and only 3 of those they held the opposition under 40.

7 x 50+ scoreline.

Still beat South's though....

JamesRustle

First Grade

It was their final season before the merge and by the end of the season everyone was putting 40-60 points on them.

7 x 50+ scoreline.

OK thanks.

Wests 1999. 944 points conceded in 24 matches at an average of 39.33.
Broncos 2020. 401 points conceded in 13 matches (out of 20) at an average of 30.85

945 - 401 = 544 / 7 = 77.71 points per game to take the outright record... probably not going to happen but would be fantastic to watch if it did.

20 x 39.34 = 786.8
787 - 401 = 386 / 7 =55.14 points per game to break the record for worst average points conceded in a season. Games to come v. Raiders, Dragons, Roosters, Panthers, Titans, Eels & Cowboys.

With only one 50+ scoreline so far, they will need to at least match West's 7 to take their record.

Fox should start lining up interviews with Tommy Raudonikis and Steve Georgallis if they get close to breaking the record.

I look forward to their next 4 matches as those teams are capable of racking up points.Good luck.

Reflector

Juniors

7 x 50+ scoreline.

Beat Souths, Balmain and Penrith and that was it.

Front-Rower

First Grade
I remember that season well; I still have my jersey from that year hidden in a cupboard somewhere...

1998 & 1999 were all down to Tommy losing the plot and sacking half the side after they missed the semis in 1997.

Leo Dynevor was our marquee signing but the problem was we only had about 2 or 3 first grade standard players, and Leo turned out not to be one of them.

magpie_man

Juniors
1998 & 1999 were all down to Tommy losing the plot and sacking half the side after they missed the semis in 1997.

Leo Dynevor was our marquee signing but the problem was we only had about 2 or 3 first grade standard players, and Leo turned out not to be one of them.

I'm just having a look at the team on Rugby League Project now; there ended-up being a handful of very good players in that squad, most notably Brett Hodgson and Skando.
I just noticed Ray Cashmere and Shane Perry....fair dinkum, they disappeared and then resurfaced again 5-6 years later, Perry in the Broncos '06 GF no less!

Front-Rower

First Grade
I'm just having a look at the team on Rugby League Project now; there ended-up being a handful of very good players in that squad, most notably Brett Hodgson and Skando.
I just noticed Ray Cashmere and Shane Perry....fair dinkum, they disappeared and then resurfaced again 5-6 years later, Perry in the Broncos '06 GF no less!

Don’t forget Harvey Howard went to Brisbane and won the 2000 premiership. He should have been first signed by Wests Tigers but anyhoo

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
After getting the spoon in 1998 I think everyone knew they were on the chopping block. That would have made recruitment close to impossible.

Pretty much a dead club walking in '99.

Never really had a fair chance after the SL war.