What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 ratings

The_Wookie

Bench
Thursday Cowboys v Roosters

Metro 314k (Syd 194k Melb 4k Bris 103k Adel 5k Perth 8k)
Regional NSW & Qld 201k
Fox League 218k
Nationally = 733k
========================
Fri N NRL Rabbitohs v Tigers
Metro 307,000 (Syd 180. Qld 100)
Regional 199,000
Foxs: 268,000
Total 774,000

Titans v Warriors Fox 224,000 Data: Oztam

----------------------------------------------------------

#FoxLeague Raiders v Storm 314,000
Broncos v Bulldogs 278,000
Sharks v Panthers 195,000
Total: 787k
==========================================
SUNDAY AFTERNOON NRL LIVE

Nine Knights v Eels

Metro 308,000(syd. 191, Qld 117) gem?
Fox 292k
Total: 600k + Gem + Regional

Sts v Manly 215

================================================

weekly Total = 3.3m (missing about 280k)

source Media week / media spy

Sunday GEM was 20k

The_Wookie

Bench
National Rugby League

Round 9 of the NRL season rated more than 3.5 million viewers across the Nine network and Foxleague, as the NRL reach 33 million viewers for the season, down 4.92% on the 2019 season, but from two fewer matches, including ANZAC day fixtures (held in round 7, 2019)

The highest rating NRL game of the round was the Sunday afternoon clash between the Knights and Panthers which averaged approximately 800,000 viewers including 328,000 metro viewers on Nine and GEM, an estimated 240,000 regional viewers and 292,000 viewers on Foxleague.

Saturday nights clash between the Raiders and Storm was the highest rating NRL game on Foxleague with 314,000 viewers.

For the NRL, broadcast averages across both free and subscription television are down -4.74% to an average of 463,000 per game. FTA averages are down 4.33% to an average of 580,000 per game, with both the major Brisbane and Sydney markets down, while the three GEM cities are up 10.94%.

Foxtel ratings averages are up 1.14% to an average of 245,000. Foxtel ratings make up 53% of the total NRL ratings pie.

As always, please note the all ratings data is sourced from OzTAM and RegTAM and does not include Kayo, 9Now, other streaming services or mobile application data unless specified.

Last edited:

AnonymousLurker

Juniors
National Rugby League

Round 9 of the NRL season rated more than 3.5 million viewers across the Nine network and Foxleague, as the NRL reach 33 million viewers for the season, down 4.92% on the 2019 season, but from two fewer matches, including ANZAC day fixtures (held in round 7, 2019)

The highest rating NRL game of the round was the Sunday afternoon clash between the Knights and Panthers which averaged approximately 800,000 viewers including 328,000 metro viewers on Nine and GEM, an estimated 240,000 regional viewers and 292,000 viewers on Foxleague.

Saturday nights clash between the Raiders and Storm was the highest rating NRL game on Foxleague with 314,000 viewers.

For the NRL, broadcast averages across both free and subscription television are down -4.74% to an average of 463,000 per game. FTA averages are down 4.33% to an average of 580,000 per game, with both the major Brisbane and Sydney markets down, while the three GEM cities are up 10.94%.

Foxtel ratings averages are up 1.14% to an average of 245,000. Foxtel ratings make up 53% of the total NRL ratings pie.

As always, please note the all ratings data is sourced from OzTAM and RegTAM and does not include Kayo, 9Now, other streaming services or mobile application data unless specified.

Can we trust these figures considering the knights played parra , not the panthers .

Ratings down from 2019 due to channel 9, I don’t know who that new caller is but that’s a horrendous and boring voice and because of their love vest with qld they generally been having the worst games on FTA.

Perth Red

Post Whore
This is interesting

Foxtel ratings averages are up 1.14% to an average of 245,000.

I would have thought a lot of people would have turned off Fox during early Covid and gone back via KAYO. Maybe its more that Fox ended up with better games than expected given no one wants to watch Broncos on FTA every week?

Steel Saints

Juniors
National Rugby League

Normally Nine broadcasts four FTA games a week during Easter and ANZAC Day rounds. It didn't happen this year because the code was in lockdown. So the NRL did lose FTA viewers from those two games. (Good Friday and ANZAC Day)

The_Wookie

Bench
Normally Nine broadcasts four FTA games a week during Easter and ANZAC Day rounds. It didn't happen this year because the code was in lockdown. So the NRL did lose FTA viewers from those two games. (Good Friday and ANZAC Day)

literally in the first paragraph

Perth Red

Post Whore
Round 10

roosters v raiders
Fta Metro 325k (syd 202k bris 122k)
ptv 242k

Storm v Titans
ptv

Wests v Broncos
fta metro 338k (syd 182k bris 140k other 16k)
ptv

TheRam

Coach
Why are the AFL ratings going so well and the NRL going so bad? By all reports the AFL's football quality on the field has pretty diabolical, whereas the NRL product has been superb.

Can anyone make any sense of this? The online streaming serveices like Kayo shouldn't be the reason, due to both codes are in the same boat there, right?

Have people really turned off Rugby League by that many numbers even though the product is fantastic?

The_Wookie

Bench
Why are the AFL ratings going so well and the NRL going so bad? By all reports the AFL's football quality on the field has pretty diabolical, whereas the NRL product has been superb.

Can anyone make any sense of this? The online streaming serveices like Kayo shouldn't be the reason, due to both codes are in the same boat there, right?

Have people really turned off Rugby League by that many numbers even though the product is fantastic?

We've always believed that one of the reasons the AFL didnt rate more was the length of time the game went for - and they've compressed the game time which prevents ratings from drifting too far.

People arent switching off rugby league - they just arent using FTA tv as much.

NRL Fox is holding steady - but accounts for 52% of all NRL ratings this season, whereas its only 35% for the AFL. The NRL is rating well in the VPM numbers, taking out the top 5 streaming spots on the oztam list every week (this includes 9 Now/Foxtel Go/Now but not Kayo.

greenBV4

Bench
The NRL is rating well in the VPM numbers, taking out the top 5 streaming spots on the oztam list every week (this includes 9 Now/Foxtel Go/Now but not Kayo
Is there a chance that kayo numbers are included with Foxtel Now? Since its essentially the same stream

Nerd

Bench
I imagine I like many others have ditched the woeful coverage by 9 for Fox and Kayo. I myself have moved from Fox sport to Kayo and will cancel Foxtel altogether when my contact is up.

tri_colours

Juniors
Can we trust these figures considering the knights played parra , not the panthers .

Ratings down from 2019 due to channel 9, I don’t know who that new caller is but that’s a horrendous and boring voice and because of their love vest with qld they generally been having the worst games on FTA.

I heard him the other day when I was flicking through the channels. Hes got no excitement in his voice at all - sounds more like a priest at Sunday meetings - very dull and dreary. Another masterstroke from ch9. To think they got rid of Vossy. I certainly hope channel 9 isn't our only option for our FTA. carrier.

gUt

Coach

I would argue the quality of the footy has been way down this year on previous seasons. There are 8 shit teams and 8 good ones meaning on average 4 good games and 4 boring arse ones.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I would argue the quality of the footy has been way down this year on previous seasons. There are 8 shit teams and 8 good ones meaning on average 4 good games and 4 boring arse ones.

this round showed that for sure. I only bothered watching two games.

greenBV4

Bench
I wouldn't say the quality of football as a whole has gotten worse, theres been a handull of really good games this year. But the number of shit teams and how shit those teams are is definatley moreso than other years

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn't say the quality of football as a whole has gotten worse, theres been a handull of really good games this year. But the number of shit teams and how shit those teams are is definatley moreso than other years

I wonder if the rule changes have shown up,the gap to be wider. A bit like at international level where the gap between teams is cruelly obvious. Small gap equals big points in RL, especially this year it seems.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Round 10
Thursday
roosters v raiders
Fta Metro 325k (syd 202k bris 122k)
ptv 242k

Friday
Storm v Titans
ptv 204k
Wests v Broncos
fta metro 338k (syd 182k bris 140k other 16k)
ptv 265k

Saturday STV
SEA EAGLES V EELS FOX LEAGUE 282k
RABBITOHS V KNIGHTS FOX LEAGUE 262k
DRAGONS V BULLDOGS FOX LEAGUE 166k

Sunday
Panthers v Cowboys
FTA? Did it not reach top 20????
STV 217k

Warriors v Sharks STV 135k