What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
So you want to know a real coach does and focus' his team on watch what Mary talks about and then compare that to Robinson.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra-premiership/2020/round-10/roosters-round-10/
Robinson [around the 3 minute mark] he is asked the question "Is handling a worry ......" and his response " its something you want to improve, but it's not something that we focus on. We don't want to stop playing footy and hold the ball.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra-premiership/2020/round-10/dragons-round-10/
Mary "Opposition show a bit of resilience", "We didn't turn the ball over much", "on the back of a 6-1 penalty count against us", "If we play the right sort of footy for a long period of time, you get the rewards at the end of the game","possession wins you games", "and even if you aren't getting points, you got to keep getting possessions", "second half we won field position, kicked well....", "we build pressure and"

To me, Mary is focussed on holding possession, eliminating mistakes, play field position and then the results will come. What we have witnessed, is once we get near the try line over the past few years, our players are too robotic and focussed on making a mistake hence we have struggled to regularly score points.

Trent on the other hand wants his team to play whats in front of them and accepts that some mistakes will happen - just tries to minimise them.

Very interesting to listen to then and what's important to them.

Spot on...exactly correct...that's why prior to Flanno's involvement we played like robots....McGregor has 1 plan..Fullstop...and when it all falls to pieces he doesn't have a plan B....We have all seen it...for the past 7 years....

Wake up board....admit you made a mistake and move on....

blacksafake

First Grade
So you want to know a real coach does and focus' his team on watch what Mary talks about and then compare that to Robinson.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra-premiership/2020/round-10/roosters-round-10/
Robinson [around the 3 minute mark] he is asked the question "Is handling a worry ......" and his response " its something you want to improve, but it's not something that we focus on. We don't want to stop playing footy and hold the ball.

https://www.nrl.com/tv/matches/telstra-premiership/2020/round-10/dragons-round-10/
Mary "Opposition show a bit of resilience", "We didn't turn the ball over much", "on the back of a 6-1 penalty count against us", "If we play the right sort of footy for a long period of time, you get the rewards at the end of the game","possession wins you games", "and even if you aren't getting points, you got to keep getting possessions", "second half we won field position, kicked well....", "we build pressure and"

To me, Mary is focussed on holding possession, eliminating mistakes, play field position and then the results will come. What we have witnessed, is once we get near the try line over the past few years, our players are too robotic and focussed on making a mistake hence we have struggled to regularly score points.

Trent on the other hand wants his team to play whats in front of them and accepts that some mistakes will happen - just tries to minimise them.

Dragons footy.
L plates relies on the opposition playing worse than us NOT us playing better than them.
I think in almost every interview or press conference he normally mentions completions.

At the presser:

3726B40B-05D0-4ECF-866B-45C10D973172.jpeg

D702D011-05F7-4896-A63E-C22FF0C28524.jpeg

FFA11730-C065-4FFB-BAF1-B4D5DD6CE25C.jpeg

82D39644-13B3-43B5-ADD6-42F9BF654929.jpeg

FB7D75F2-EFC7-4EF8-9E08-BE8EE00CAEC5.jpeg

48F778FC-09E0-4F9E-8816-E2E59533B7A8.jpeg

516F976E-4439-4351-8182-C2AFF316C681.jpeg

A147A9E2-EC90-41B2-A3D5-322B224A45CF.jpeg

804DD5ED-41E5-466F-A3C4-A321DB034F1C.jpeg
This is a photo of their season. But honestly, the rest of their dopey ferals gave this screwball fumbling kid no chance. D about 50 metres away lol.

Classy “ f-you dogs” celebrations at the end. It was fun.

A win is a win so enjoy it!

Last edited:

Yes good post.

I also try to be a good coach listener.

Adam OBrien tells the media a few weeks ago that he wasn’t focused on winning the game but the actual play by play.

Maguire talks about 80 minute efforts. The holding of the Broncos to zero was much more important than the crushing score line.

Sadly, a lot of the journalists at press conferences ask quite stupid and meaningless questions. A lot of pointless emotive drivel.

It would be good to ask Des how he planned to beat the eels, and whether that was implemented etc.

Even the result of any game, is boring fact. It’s the plan and the play that holds the fascination.

Outlaw Pete

Juniors
My sentiments will be the same as most on here. Kearney Pay and now Green a premiership winner and also a GF runner up gone.
Meanwhile at the dragons a bloke who with many State of Origin players makes the semis twice winning 1 semi game in 7 years. Yep let’s stick with being ordinary.
If I were Canterbury I’d be chasing Green instead of Barrett although the Broncos will have a sniff.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Kearney (Warriors) - gone
Pay (Bulldogs) - gone
Green (Cowboys) - apparently going today

Seibold (Broncos) - in the death house holding cell with a ten week stay of execution apparently (hard to see him getting a pardon)

McGregor - 'Saint Lazarus of Bethany'

And when all teams have gotten in early and hired their new coach, Saints will rehire McTeflon and say there was no other coach available. So they’ve endorsed one of their own because it’s the “right thing to do”

hazzbeen

Bench
Kearney (Warriors) - gone
Pay (Bulldogs) - gone
Green (Cowboys) - apparently going today

Seibold (Broncos) - in the death house holding cell with a ten week stay of execution apparently (hard to see him getting a pardon)

McGregor - 'Saint Lazarus of Bethany'
Yep he is really a GENIUS , can't coach , but still here and gains an extension on his contract ..... The board and CEO are all happy with the way he is going , they have extended the coaching staff , to oversee his selections and coaching .... Well done to all involved .....

Inisai Toga

Juniors
And when all teams have gotten in early and hired their new coach, Saints will rehire McTeflon and say there was no other coach available. So they’ve endorsed one of their own because it’s the “right thing to do”
Appreciate where your coming from and hope your wrong! In saying that I wouldn’t be rushing in to sign any of those coaches as a replacement. One of the problems that football club’s fall for is the crap that journalists and player agent spin them in needing to sign coaches to long term contracts. Their assessment on who and what makes an effective coach is very weak.

Last edited:

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
Appreciate where your coming from and hope your wrong! In saying that I wouldn’t be rushing in to sign any of those coaches as a replacement. One of the problems that football club’s fall for is the crap that journalists and player agent spin them in needing to sign coaches to long term contracts. Their assessment on who at what makes an effective coach is vey weak.
I wouldn’t be signing any of these muppets either. I’m not a footy or coaching expert. I do know, that the sooner you get your ass into gear, the more options that will be available to you.

Last edited:

matPORTS

Juniors
My sentiments will be the same as most on here. Kearney Pay and now Green a premiership winner and also a GF runner up gone.
Meanwhile at the dragons a bloke who with many State of Origin players makes the semis twice winning 1 semi game in 7 years. Yep let’s stick with being ordinary.
If I were Canterbury I’d be chasing Green instead of Barrett although the Broncos will have a sniff.

100% agree on the Bulldogs going after Green over Barrett.

Apparently Barrett is looking like a done deal though. The Bulldogs can look forward to the same cycles we've been through repeatedly the last ten years. He will ride the gravy train for two years, then eventually "get the team he wants" for still mediocre results (7th or 8th placed finishes at best and maybe jag a finals win before going out the back door).

Of the list of all coaches so far moved on, Paul Green is probably the only one who is worthy of another head coaching gig. I'd almost go as far to say that getting the Cowboys to that 2017 GF was bigger feat than winning the 2015 premiership. He had an injury rattled side (Thurston among others) for most of the second half of the year, then not only made the finals, but went through some esteemed opposition from 8th spot to make the big dance (meanwhile St George Illawarra are tanking to ninth spot after running solidly in the top four until about two thirds of the way into the season - another opportunity to justify getting rid of him not taken).

Now that it is official news, this move will be a catalyst for further movements in the coaching market. Wouldn't be surprised if Green is now on the Broncos radar to potentially replace Seibold, and also Sharks need to make a decision on John Morris. Lets not forget the Warriors either. There will be no shortage of jobs available for him.

Food for thought - Shane Flannagan is contracted only for this year as an assistant to us (at least at this stage). I would not be surprised to see the Cowboys make a move on him to go there next year as an assistant to Josh Hannay (who will take over as an interim now), with an eye to him potentially taking over in 2022. The Valentine Holmes connection. The Cowboys will have a longer term view on things given they have the nucleus of a good roster wrapped up for the next few years.

denis preston

First Grade
The hope is that all the coach sackings the past couple of weeks haven't effected our plan and we already have our man for next year ( whoever that is ) and the die was cast on Mcexcuse and contract stamped "not next year "after the first Bulldog game. wishful thinking ?

Dragonslayer

First Grade
100% agree on the Bulldogs going after Green over Barrett.

Apparently Barrett is looking like a done deal though. The Bulldogs can look forward to the same cycles we've been through repeatedly the last ten years. He will ride the gravy train for two years, then eventually "get the team he wants" for still mediocre results (7th or 8th placed finishes at best and maybe jag a finals win before going out the back door).

Of the list of all coaches so far moved on, Paul Green is probably the only one who is worthy of another head coaching gig. I'd almost go as far to say that getting the Cowboys to that 2017 GF was bigger feat than winning the 2015 premiership. He had an injury rattled side (Thurston among others) for most of the second half of the year, then not only made the finals, but went through some esteemed opposition from 8th spot to make the big dance (meanwhile St George Illawarra are tanking to ninth spot after running solidly in the top four until about two thirds of the way into the season - another opportunity to justify getting rid of him not taken).

Now that it is official news, this move will be a catalyst for further movements in the coaching market. Wouldn't be surprised if Green is now on the Broncos radar to potentially replace Seibold, and also Sharks need to make a decision on John Morris. Lets not forget the Warriors either. There will be no shortage of jobs available for him.

Food for thought - Shane Flannagan is contracted only for this year as an assistant to us (at least at this stage). I would not be surprised to see the Cowboys make a move on him to go there next year as an assistant to Josh Hannay (who will take over as an interim now), with an eye to him potentially taking over in 2022. The Valentine Holmes connection. The Cowboys will have a longer term view on things given they have the nucleus of a good roster wrapped up for the next few years.

This would be a very safe bet imo.

ChocOConnor

Juniors
We don’t need to look for a coach

Flanno is there taking it all in and when the moron who is a coach in name gets the boot at if of year we will push hard for Flanno reinstatement

Hence why he had signed a 1 year deal. As much as I disliked the bow legged cheat he is a winner and knows how to get the message across. Remember that sharks side had a lot of ego and he was the boss and the players knew he was the boss

Latest posts