What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Paul Green

beave

Coach
Thanks for the memories but enough is enough.

Piss poor roster and player management coupled in with very shit tactics, this has been coming since 2017 IMO. That GF plastered over all the cracks in the club unfortunately and gave him unwarranted ammo to hold the club to ransom. The way his contract negotiations dragged on in 2018 were also a tell tale sign for mine he thought he was bigger than the club itself.

He held onto older players for far too long, I said it earlier but Matt Scott should have been pulled aside when he did his knee in rd2 2017 and told ‘we think you’re time is up, if you want to play again then it will be for someone else, retire and you have a job at the club for life’. He is the type of guy that would excel at either corporate hosting and/or forward coaching. His softly spoken nature goes over well in a more conservative part of the world, business would clamber over having host in their boxes at the new stadium. He resonates well with the common man up there because of his rural background and upbringing.

Throw in roster management and holding onto players like Gavin Cooper, Justin O’neill, Hampton, Granville, Hess. All have turned into absolute plodders and we have on the books for more years to come (Cooper excluded). There is no way John Asiata or Francis Molo should be leaving but it seems they are. Those 2 players alone should be priorities to sign. This obsession with letting Lolo wear the 13 and masquerade as a ‘lock’ is f**king infuriating. He is a front rower end of story. Wear the 13 for f**ks sake, fine, but let Asiata be the starting ball playing lock he is meant to be and watch us improve out of sight. The forwards we have are so f**king vanilla excluding Lolo, teams don’t need to be on alert for a cheeky offload because we play so much ‘money ball’ safe shit. If you are going to do that, you will want your forwards to at least have some footwork in their game to put a smidge of doubt into the opposition.

His inconsistent approach to blooding juniors was astounding. The first 3 years he seemed very willing to let the youth come in, he blooded Ponga on the wing in a semi in vs Brisbane for f**ks sake. Hess was let play at 19 against a monster NZ forward pack. But then he started to show a massive reluctance to let the youth come through instead relying on the old heads to get it done. They did that for a while but fast forward to 2018, it was pretty clear from about rd3 onwards he wasn’t prepared to change and we have been quite f**king poor ever since. Constantly playing his Wynumn boy Granville is a prime example, halfway through 2018 it is clear he is well below the standards required but he still persisted playing him. Oh and then he lets him extend this sub par 9 for another 3 years. Thanks merkin.

I hate to see anyone lose their job, when he first got to NQ his attitude of ‘stop the excuses, make you own destiny, don’t let the refs do it for you’ was refreshing. I’ve been a cowboys fan since day one, but we have been an excuse riddled club since the start, always looking for the easy way out and happy to pass blame to a ref blunder instead of manning up and admitting it was our fault. The shit old school NQ footy attitude crept in to Greenys game early 2018, for mine this should have been the sign to f**k him off and get someone else in, his bleating in the post match pressers was embarrassing and a complete 180 from his attitude at the start of his tenure up there. I get it would have been hard moving him on seeing as though he had just taken an injury riddled side to the GF but sometimes you need to make these hard decisions.

He will always be the first premiership coach of NQ but he inherited a decent set up thanks to Neil Henry and Graham Murray (RIP). Muzz will always be the best coach we had all things considered. He got JT and Matt Scott to the club, inherited a complete f**k fight and turned us into a force. He left under shit circumstances that I won’t go into on here, but we are back to 2002 when he took over bar a couple of ‘name‘ players we currently have.

It will take the next coach 2 more season to get us out of this mess, the complete spuds we have on our books for at least one more season will take a while to get over.

It’s a damn shame it ended like this, he even had me fooled at the start and I was more than man enough to eat humble shit pie post 2015 as I thought he was the wrong choice when he was announced and was against it but he proved the doubters wrong that year. But 2015 is a long time ago now and a lot of water has passed under that bridge.

What sort of club hires a guy to coach that as a player, was a complete over paid fraud in his time there and sued the ass off the same said club when fired?

A complete shit one does.

(apologies on the length of this post)

Last edited:
This is a bittersweet feeling. Paul Green was a God-send for the club with his impact immediately felt through the club. I know I am biased, but the 2015 grand final highlights will overshadow many other grand finals for the next decade or two as it was such a historic first premiership for the club, the region and Johnathan Thurston.

By mid 2016, the signs were there that we were already regressing, but had enough talent to overachieve by the finals and make top 4 (though the Sharks tore us to shreds in the finals). 2017 was another year of regressing, but we fell into the finals, then put in three historic underdog performances that covered up all the cracks in the squad (until we were flogged by Melbourne).

2018 to 2020 has just been a case of all those cracks being exposed, and no lucky finals runs to cover everything up.

I actually think that as time goes on, the Cowboys fans will once again respect Paul Green's achievements at the club. But right now, I am very pleased we have made this decision (not that this will mean we are guaranteed to turn the club around immediately).
Paul Green will be remembered fondly, alongside Graham Murray, for the success he brought to the club.

Finding the right man to take the reigns long term will be a challenge.

Are Mathew Elliot and John Lang still coaching?

KennySterling

Juniors
He will always be the first premiership coach of NQ but he inherited a decent set up thanks to Neil Henry and Graham Murray (RIP). Muzz will always be the best coach we had all things considered. He got JT and Matt Scott to the club, inherited a complete f**k fight and turned us into a force. He left under shit circumstances that I won’t go into on here, but we are back to 2002 when he took over bar a couple of ‘name‘ players we currently have.

That seems a common theme in the career of Graham Murray. I can't fathom why he never got the credit he deserved at a succession of club front offices.

He did a great job in building up every club he coached at - Illawarra, Mariners, Leeds, Easts, Cowboys - yet only got his just desserts in England.

The Steelers were never the same without him; he took Easts to the GF that continually eluded Gould and left a premiership-club-in-waiting for Stuart to enjoy; and he achieved at the Cowboys what was utterly beyond the lauded Sheens.

Even in his solitary season at Hunter Mariners he managed to steer them to the final of the ill-fated World Club Championship after winning away at Wigan and n the SF at Cronulla.

At Leeds he was idolised after reaching the GF in his first year and winning by a record score at Wembley in his second. And every player speaks fondly of his time in charge.

Why was Muzza so under-rated everywhere he went ?

davi

Juniors
And maybe Payten to the Cows... Didn't Todd have a bit to do with the Cows as an assistant previously? There's history there...

Todd Payten was rated a rising star assistant coach next in line for a head coaching job a couple of years ago. That talk has quieten down though. I've read he is a favorite to remain as the Warriors head coach for next season. That might change though if they continue to get spanked like they did on the weekend. He has been one of the names mentioned in the running for the Cowboys job though.

MightyMoo

Juniors
This is a bittersweet feeling. Paul Green was a God-send for the club with his impact immediately felt through the club. I know I am biased, but the 2015 grand final highlights will overshadow many other grand finals for the next decade or two as it was such a historic first premiership for the club, the region and Johnathan Thurston.

By mid 2016, the signs were there that we were already regressing, but had enough talent to overachieve by the finals and make top 4 (though the Sharks tore us to shreds in the finals). 2017 was another year of regressing, but we fell into the finals, then put in three historic underdog performances that covered up all the cracks in the squad (until we were flogged by Melbourne).

2018 to 2020 has just been a case of all those cracks being exposed, and no lucky finals runs to cover everything up.

I actually think that as time goes on, the Cowboys fans will once again respect Paul Green's achievements at the club. But right now, I am very pleased we have made this decision (not that this will mean we are guaranteed to turn the club around immediately).
Couldn't of put it better. Last season was a disaster. Barba f**ked us, and Nene went AWOL. Throw together all the injuries including 3 very serious ones with Martin, Scott and Juzzy. He deserved another crack this year, but from our kickoff at the new stadium it's been another mess. Time up here in NQ, but he'll be back

That seems a common theme in the career of Graham Murray. I can't fathom why he never got the credit he deserved at a succession of club front offices.

He did a great job in building up every club he coached at - Illawarra, Mariners, Leeds, Easts, Cowboys - yet only got his just desserts in England.

The Steelers were never the same without him; he took Easts to the GF that continually eluded Gould and left a premiership-club-in-waiting for Stuart to enjoy; and he achieved at the Cowboys what was utterly beyond the lauded Sheens.

Even in his solitary season at Hunter Mariners he managed to steer them to the final of the ill-fated World Club Championship after winning away at Wigan and n the SF at Cronulla.

At Leeds he was idolised after reaching the GF in his first year and winning by a record score at Wembley in his second. And every player speaks fondly of his time in charge.

Why was Muzza so under-rated everywhere he went ?
Graham Murray is the best coach I have ever seen.

It is sad he passed away so young. He still had so much to offer. I am fairly sure I saw him at Kougari Oval in 2013, walking along the Arthur Lovell Stand a few weeks after his first heart attack. He was still very frail from the heart attack and had trouble walking. Everyone in the stand gave him a standing ovation.

King hit

Coach
Agree. Graham Murray was a terrific coach. Gould always resented the fact that Muzz could do what he couldn't at Easts.
Gould laid the platform for that success. Remember the Roosters were a total rabble when he took over and when he finished they were a strong feared team.

Gould laid the platform for that success. Remember the Roosters were a total rabble when he took over and when he finished they were a strong feared team.

Absolutely. Same could be said for Penrith. There are many Gould naysayers but both clubs have become far stronger under his guidance, and afterwards.

Was listening to his Six Tackles podcast, and when he went to the Roosters he became coaching director and brought a number of rookie coaches in under him. Ricky Stuart, Dean Pay, Shane Flanagan, John Cartwright, and Ivan Cleary. All became head NRL coaches and while you can argue the successes of each, that's a pretty impressive list to have converted.

Last edited:

davi

Juniors
Agree. Graham Murray was a terrific coach. Gould always resented the fact that Muzz could do what he couldn't at Easts.

He was a good coach and took them to a grand final. But lets not complelty rewrite history by putting it down to petty jealousy. The Roosters well and truly did get smashed in the finals 40-6 by the Knights before he departed.

Graham Murray is the best coach I have ever seen.

It is sad he passed away so young. He still had so much to offer. I am fairly sure I saw him at Kougari Oval in 2013, walking along the Arthur Lovell Stand a few weeks after his first heart attack. He was still very frail from the heart attack and had trouble walking. Everyone in the stand gave him a standing ovation.

I've so many people talking about him with the same reverence. He'll never get mentioned in conversation about the greatest coaches, but he was a great coach. There's a few like that.

Heading a bit off-topic here but he and David Waite are the two "under-rated" coaches who I've heard of spoken about in such high regard by ex players. David Waite had a much less "stellar" career than Murray, but what he did with the Dragons in 96 was astounding. I know many Knights fans who think similar, and ex players like Matt Johns have raved about him. But by 2000 it was over. He's a guy who i thought had so much more to offer but my team cut him short.

PARRA_FAN

Coach
Well done a great career at the Cowboys for Green, took them to their first premiership and then runners up at 2017. Good job

Not a good ending but these things happen. Hasn't been a good few years.

His coaching career aint over, I have no doubt he'll be linked with one of the Sydney clubs or at least Brisbane.

Dingo_dan

Juniors
Exactly this. No disrespect to Murray, but the whole 'Murray built the 2002 premiership team' is nonsense. Alot of those in the 2000 GF team were guys who got their breaks under Gould, or were recruited by the duo of Beetson and Gould.

Murray didn't win a premiership but did have a few noteworthy achievements.

Took Illawarra to their first ever finals
Took the Roosters to their first GF in 20 years
Took the Cowboys out of ingrained mediocrity to their first ever finals and then GF a year later

You look at the game now and see how hard it is to lift perennial battlers. I mean, the Cows were a complete laughing stock for their first decade until he arrived. I'm not old enough to remember the Steelers' early years, but it doesn't look like they fared much better. People take it for granted how big a job that is.

Sticky gets mocked on here, but before he arrived we'd all pretty much given up hope that'd we'd be genuine contenders ever again. We may have had our hearts broken last season but I'll take that over running 7th-15th and being a minimal threat 99 times out of 100.

He managed to change that narrative and if it wasn't for him, I don't think it happens. Murray was a decent coach