What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

When the horse is dead, dismount.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Honestly right now Robinson cleaning the place right out iis probably what we need. It’ll suck for a year or two, but it’ll just be more mid-lower table mediocrity otherwise.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That wouldn't make sense though, if they aren't getting regular game time for their first grade team then they are getting no game time. Stint with warriors is perfect to keep match fit and/or 'test' how they handle first grade.

Doesn't necessarily work that way. I think quite often a squad player would rather stay where they are and impress through training, generally applying themselves to the club they want to be at. The alternative is coming into a flat environment like ours where morale is low, guys around you aren't at their best, and you can't produce yours. All of a sudden you're linked to your performances that might have been different in another year and at your own club.

Remember also that moving to a new club even temporarily in the current climate means your life is tipped upside down as well, from the relatively normal existence they might be living at a Sydney club.

And John Morris said they wouldn't be prepared to lend players anyway with a rising injury toll, a sentiment I'm sure other coaches hold too.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Have we ever been more broken than this? I don't think so.

On RTS, as others note there's only him and Tohu who are nailed on starters each week.

Also, Egan is the most ponderous 9 I've seen in years. His pace of game seems more suited to golden oldies than first grade NRL.

Sheesh Sunday sucked with the Chiefs losing in the last 5 and then the Warriors getting beaten like a redhead step child.

No I don't think we have been. We are monumentally broken. And that prick Watson can shoulder a lot of the blame, although he's just slipped out the back quietly. Isn't it amazing you can make a 'biggest club in the southern hemisphere' bullshit remark like he and Glenn did in 2012, then just pretend it never happened. Big f**king talk and nothing even resembling something to back it up.

Honestly right now Robinson cleaning the place right out iis probably what we need. It’ll suck for a year or two, but it’ll just be more mid-lower table mediocrity otherwise.

There's no doubt the clear-out is needed. I'm not thrilled about the way he went about it, but yeah ideally you'd just stick Wile E Coyote's dynamite stash under Mt Smart, blow it up and start again.

Rich102

Staff member

Totally agree. Watching the game last week I said to the Mrs "How many players from today's 17 would you like to see back next year?" We agreed on a total of 7.

Of course the total clean-out comes with a clause - we replace them with better players and a good coach.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
Totally agree. Watching the game last week I said to the Mrs "How many players from today's 17 would you like to see back next year?" We agreed on a total of 7.

Of course the total clean-out comes with a clause - we replace them with better players and a good coach.

7 sounds generous if we’re talking players I’d actually be sad to lose.

RTS
Tohu
Ken
Fus
Katoa
Paasi

I’d probably add Ah Mau and Bunty off the injured list, and potentially Roache. That’s it.

honestly couldn’t care that much about anyone else if they were cut.

SmashEmBro

Juniors
I'd have Jazz in there too, I think the new rule is going to suit him really well and he'll be a real asset to the team moving forward. Time will tell though.

Really really hoping Roaches body has become more durable in his time on the sidelines, I'd say its his last chance with us, if he doesn't hold up for the rest of the season he's gone

I don't get why Roache gets so much love? He played okay in the juniors but never really stood out for me. With his injuries one would think we will never get the best of Roache. I sadly think it's more in our favour to have someone else on the books as backup.

SpaceMonkey

Immortal
I don't get why Roache gets so much love? He played okay in the juniors but never really stood out for me. With his injuries one would think we will never get the best of Roache. I sadly think it's more in our favour to have someone else on the books as backup.

hes looked the goods to me every time he’s played first grade. Hoping he can do a Guttenbeil/Benji/Tedesco

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
You guys do well to stick it out

Obviously they aren’t my team, but as a league loving kiwi want the Warriors performing so the game doesn’t die a slow death over here. Sadly the vibe around the general public is that they are a laughing stock and it’s hard to come out of that hole, I spend a bit of time on here as they both dumbfound and entertain me at the same time with most of their decisions

Clean out is 100% required, but not just at playing level. I feel we really need some old school, grass roots kiwis involved in the club in some way to help drive the club forward, don’t have to be in official roles, but there as a sounding board etc. Names that spring to mind are guys like Lowe, Ackland, Endacott etc. They have held roles there in the past with mixed success, but their knowledge of the NZ League landscape is 2nd to none and not being utilised at the moment

Rich102

Staff member
I disagree.
This isn't State of Origin.
We are not a club known for developing players.
The superstar 16 year olds should still head to Australia to develop in their schoolboy and age group systems.
We want to recruit a coach who is intent on identifying and developing first grade players.
We need a mix of Australian and top NZ players. Initially this has to be biased to hard-working, proven Australian players.
If we go down Watson's path of signing only Kiwi players the club will fail.
Once the new coach is appointed hopefully he will identify our most urgent weaknesses and recruit THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. This will be an uphill battle, at the moment players don't want to come here. The ABA syndrome - Anywhere But Auckland. So we get the players no other club wants and we pay overs for them.

Beavers Headgear

First Grade
I disagree.
This isn't State of Origin.
We are not a club known for developing players.
The superstar 16 year olds should still head to Australia to develop in their schoolboy and age group systems.
We want to recruit a coach who is intent on identifying and developing first grade players.
We need a mix of Australian and top NZ players. Initially this has to be biased to hard-working, proven Australian players.
If we go down Watson's path of signing only Kiwi players the club will fail.
Once the new coach is appointed hopefully he will identify our most urgent weaknesses and recruit THE BEST PLAYER AVAILABLE. This will be an uphill battle, at the moment players don't want to come here. The ABA syndrome - Anywhere But Auckland. So we get the players no other club wants and we pay overs for them.

I’m not talking about playing squad in a sense, moreso those guys mentioned know the fabric of rugby league in this country from the grassroots right up to the top level and their input to the organisation could be valuable if used properly

When I thought about Ackland, and maybe it was because of the extra exposure at the time of the Holden/Toyota Cup competitions, but he had a conveyer belt of highly promising juniors leaving his tutelage that had the fans excited, over a short period of time you had the likes of Johnson, Locke, Packer, Matulino, Taylor, Hurrell etc coming through the grades, now you have nothing like that coming through

Last edited:

Penrose_11

Juniors
Acklands coaching Mt Albert top grade well this season so still right in the thick of it. I think having him back in the fold as local talent spotter or similar would only be good going forward

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
At this stage I'd just say base us out of Sydney. Run our whole system over there, and play our home games in Auckland to appease the fan base. Never going to happen but at least then a) we can attract people who don't want to move countries - coaches or players b) be able to run a better feeder system c) avoid the best NZ talent going to rugby.

May as well face up to the fact our league factory is well and truly f**king broken and it's not getting fixed. Honestly, it isn't. Our only chance is a Hail Mary that a top line coach wants to come and bring people with him to paper over the cracks by running a successful top-grade team.

Blair

Coach
I remember Shaun Johnson's father being interviewed, circa 2011, and he said, 'Shaun always wanted to play for the Warriors, never the All Blacks'.

There wouldn't be a lot of that sentiment around now.

I remember Shaun Johnson's father being interviewed, circa 2011, and he said, 'Shaun always wanted to play for the Warriors, never the All Blacks'.

There wouldn't be a lot of that sentiment around now.

Sharks can have Green and we can take Johnson back. 2018 seems so long ago.

playdaball

Bench
Acklands coaching Mt Albert top grade well this season so still right in the thick of it. I think having him back in the fold as local talent spotter or similar would only be good going forward
He’s pretty happy back teaching at St Peters College in Akld.